Sign in to follow this  
voodoo101

Why can AVSIM not be a troll free zone

I think I must have been raised wrong, or something.....  :blink:

I've always assumed (and the demographics tend to support it) that were're all adults here, but I honestly don't know what to think about what I'm hearing in this thread.........

I swear to God this place actually manages to scare me a little sometimes.

Everyone knows we are talking about toy airplanes, right?

Right?

Sometimes I wonder.

I agree, but you say "FSX" or "sim" here and the words "Splinter Cell" or "game" or "play" in the same sentence, and you'd be surprised at the uproar.  It is a great simulation of flight that has brought us to this forum, or a love of flight and things that fly, or a need for support for some flight simulation, but if you say "FSX is just a game", there are users here whose heads will do a complete 360° on their spine and there will be a voodoo doll of said person who made such an utterance, one would think by the tone of some of the commentary.

For me, it's a form of technical relaxation and entertainment.  While I might be a little chagrined if I auger my NGX in, nobody really died...

"Just an Internet forum"??? Now you are going to get me riled up there bucko. THIS BE HOME! And don't you forget it. :Big Grin:

Okay, seriously folks, I have been holding this back while all this played out about the new topic rating system. Now that all of you have obviated over it, I have a secret to tell...

All y'all are going to have to set aside your issues with the rating system, cause it will be "altered", "modified", "redesigned", and you know, more IN YOUR FACE! LOL.

Okay, not really... But I am going to redesign it, and I am going to give all y'all the opportunity to make this system more aviation oriented. For example:

Now it is AGREE: New plan; UP CHECK: You read the POM and you checked that box pilot.

Now it is DISAGREE: New plan; DOWN CHECK: You read the POM and definitely missed that page.

Now it is DUMB: New plan; Ain't flying with you brother.

And you get the idea.. So, here it is, your opportunity to make this topic rating system into something meaningful. I am open to suggestions along the lines above. Your sage advice is????

I should start forwarding my email to you. Then you would have reason to be scared. :lol:

Tom, sometimes I could hug you...

Me, I don't care who votes me up or down.  My less than sage advice is just leave it anonymous and that'll keep the whining down.  My opinion.  That and 5 bucks will get you a small coffee at Starbucks.   

I should start forwarding my email to you. Then you would have reason to be scared.

Perhaps you are using the wrong methods to keep order in the forum. Maybe try this? I know I would laugh.....

http://youtu.be/zZH0sNsaAz4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Tom, sometimes I could hug you...

My wife might have issues with that. Instead, put your thinking cap on and give me great suggestions on a better implementation! She'll love you for that, cause that will keep me from kicking the cats every time the subject of "Topic Ratings" comes up at the dinner table. :good:

EDIT: forgot to mention... If anyone wants to create those little image thingies (in the same size and format) to go along with the new descriptions, that would be cool too.

Maybe you are using the wrong methods to keep order in the forum. Maybe try this?

I sometimes think that's what Tom has to do with us... :blink:

My wife might have issues with that. Instead, put your thinking cap on and give me great suggestions on a better implementation! She'll love you for that, cause that will keep me from kicking the cats every time the subject of "Topic Ratings" comes up at the dinner table. :good:

Tom, Tom... please don't kick the cats.  As I edited my post to say, just leave the current one in place, but anonymous, and then the kids will receive the subtle hints when they see their feedback on a post.

Maybe you are using the wrong methods to keep order in the forum. Maybe try this?

I have a very simple two word response to that. I don't get paid enough. Oh wait, that was five words. Durn.

I sometimes think that's what Tom has to do with us... :blink:

Tom, Tom... please don't kick the cats.  As I edited my post to say, just leave the current one in place, but anonymous, and then the kids will receive the subtle hints when they see their feedback on a post.

Nooooo!  Didn't you see what happened for the brief period of time before the List function was available.  People like Skorna were getting 3 or 4 Screw You's just for popping into the thread and saying "Hi" :P

People like Skorna were getting 3 or 4 Screw You's just for popping into the thread and saying "Hi"

And all ignored, believe you me!!

"Just an Internet forum"??? Now you are going to get me riled up there bucko. THIS BE HOME! And don't you forget it. :Big Grin:

Mis-Spoke Tom, it won't happen again...  ^_^

Please don't change the voting system too much.  It's actually great the way it is, one vote saves me allot of typing.  People need not take things so serious.

Several months ago you had a thread, something about Bittersweet about PMDG 777.  At the time I couldn't understand why both Tabs, and especially SpiritFlyer hammered you so hard.  While I'm not suggesting that I agree with the way it was handled, and the slapdown made me uncomfortable, I'm starting to understand the context a little better.  You're really in the business of telling people what they should like and how they should sim and after a while I can see why it starts to get on people's nerves.

I'm glade you noticed that.  For the record I'm not trying to tell people how to sim.  I will stand behind something I believe in (heck I did this for the last 7 years) and P3D v2 is a great effort worth standing behind.  By all means use whatever platform you want, the US is a free country (well somewhat).  I've gotten plenty of slack from those using FSX over the years so I know your side of things very well...  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Seems to be a lot of naval-gazing lately. Of course I haven't been around for awhile. Nonetheless, I don't remember as many "Why Do We Suck?" posts from when I was.

AVSIM is still a great forum. Personally, I don't care for ratings; don't use them or pay attention to them. If there's a legit disagreement, make your counter-argument and leave it at that. (And you don't always have to have the last word.) The whole idea of rating posts -- especially negatively rating posts -- seems odd to me and is inevitably going to cause ill feelings without necessarily achieving anything positive.

Part of it seems to be people dividing into camps, with some echo-chamber effect, too. People who want this to be a pleasant place could just decline to argue with people whose minds they're not going to change anyway. Or make the same arguments over and over. I don't see an infestation of trolls, and can recall very few from my time with AVSIM. There are people who like to ride one hobbyhorse or another... you know what they're going to say before you read their post. I tend to just sort of slide past those. But the vast majority of people here seem like a reasonably well-adjusted lot, and I learn things when I come here.

It still puzzles me why people care what sim, or add-ons I choose to run on my computer, though. I would just be truly baffled if someone wanted to argue with me about FSX. It's what I have, I'm happy with it, I know my stuff works in it, end of story for me. If you're doing better, great for you! I may join you in a year or two. Not everyone is an early adopter, but we appreciate the work of pioneers. 

Maybe there is just less to talk about at this point in our hobby? Fewer new guys and gals? Fewer new products? Fewer unsolved mysteries of FSX? I dunno.

I'm glade you noticed that.  For the record I'm not trying to tell people how to sim.  I will stand behind something I believe in (heck I did this for the last 7 years) and P3D v2 is a great effort worth standing behind.  By all means use whatever platform you want, the US is a free country (we'll somewhat).  I've gotten plenty of slack from those using FSX over the years so I know your side of things very well...  

I can't let you misrepresent my position like that, Dillon.  I'm not where you were with FS9/FSX.  That isn't my "Side".  I'm going to P3D as soon as I'm satisfied certain issues have been addressed, and P3D+addons can be better than FSX+all addons for me.  Sounds like it's going to take a lot more for that to happen.  Hopefully soon, and when I do I'm going in a big way with a performance machine, like 4.5+ghz, water-cooled, 780 SLI  (when p3d supports), and the whole shebang.  I won't run into the same problems with P3D that you ran into trying to run FSX on an ancient machine like you had/have. 

Ok, so you believe in P3D.  That's fine, but you ARE trying to lead a promotional effort, of which straight talk seems to be a casualty of, and it's starting to grate.  Why is it so important for you to "sell" everybody on P3D? 

I guess it doesn't matter, and you're going to do what you're going to do, and these discussions are becoming boring and old.

I can't let you misrepresent my position like that, Dillon.  I'm not where you were with FS9/FSX.  That isn't my "Side".  I'm going to P3D as soon as I'm satisfied certain issues have been addressed, and P3D+addons can be better than FSX+all addons for me.  Sounds like it's going to take a lot more for that to happen.  Hopefully soon, and when I do I'm going in a big way with a performance machine, like 4.5+ghz, water-cooled, 780 SLI  (when p3d supports), and the whole shebang.  I won't run into the same problems with P3D that you ran into trying to run FSX on an ancient machine like you had/have. 

Ok, so you believe in P3D.  That's fine, but you ARE trying to lead a promotional effort, of which straight talk seems to be a casualty of, and it's starting to grate.  Why is it so important for you to "sell" everybody on P3D? 

KG, I'm going to move on from this back and forth because it seems your getting nastier the more you post.  I'll be expecting at every drop of the hat you'll be lurking to throw a dig in when I post or rate a comment.  I was hoping we could be civil and agree to disagree. 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

KG, I'm going to move on from this back and forth because it seems your getting nastier the more you post.  I'll be expecting at every drop of the hat you'll be lurking to throw a dig in when I post or rate a comment.  I was hoping we could be civil and agree to disagree. 

I am being civil and I do disagree.  No, don't worry about me.  You might consider that "I'll be expecting at every drop of the hat you'll be lurking to put a dig in" could aptly describe what you have been doing to a lot of posters who haven't been towing the line you want them to tow.  I'm not going to do that.  I'm not sure I'll be giving you an invitation to come to my Christmas party, however... B)

I am being civil and I do disagree.  No, don't worry about me.

Okay boys. That's enough. You are both becoming rather polarizing "presences" here and need I say it, elsewhere in the forums, and that won't be tolerated for long. Message clear?

Okay boys. That's enough. You are both becoming rather polarizing "presences" here and need I say it, elsewhere in the forums, and that won't be tolerated for long. Message clear?

Alright, understood

(and next time I say I'm going to leave a thread, 20 posts back, I'll try to stick to it better in the future :))

My question is, why was this posted in the "Letters to the Editorial Staff" to begin with instead of "Hangar Chat" where it truly belonged?

If I wrote a letter to the Editorial Staff, I'd expect and appreciate answers from them... :Thinking:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator