Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

First OOM--at 3 GB VAS

I had my first OOM ever today (never had one in FSX).  I'm running Win 8.1 (64 bit), so there should be 4 GB available VAS. After the OOM, I recreated the flight and set up FSUIPC to log the available VAS.  It showed 1.1 GB free VAS when the OOM occurred.  Task manager showed the same.  

So, the question is, why I am I getting an OOM with less than 3 GB VAS usage?  I was flying the Real Air Duke around Edinburgh with FTX Global.  I have a GTX 780 (3 GB), and VRAM usage was under 2 GB.  

Has anyone else seen this or know a solution?  Is it just a rogue OOM from FTX or the Real Air?  My P3D settings are reasonable (4.5 LOD, 1024x1024 textures, etc.).

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Have you tried using a plane that is actually compatible with P3Dv2?  Rob will be the first to tell you his planes aren't P3D 1.4 compatible, let alone P3Dv2 compatible. 

I would agree that it may be the plane. It could be so many things really. Possibly an unstable OC?

Bob

I had my first OOM ever today (never had one in FSX).  I'm running Win 8.1 (64 bit), so there should be 4 GB available VAS. After the OOM, I recreated the flight and set up FSUIPC to log the available VAS.  It showed 1.1 GB free VAS when the OOM occurred.  Task manager showed the same.  

So, the question is, why I am I getting an OOM with less than 3 GB VAS usage?  I was flying the Real Air Duke around Edinburgh with FTX Global.  I have a GTX 780 (3 GB), and VRAM usage was under 2 GB.  

Has anyone else seen this or know a solution?  Is it just a rogue OOM from FTX or the Real Air?  My P3D settings are reasonable (4.5 LOD, 1024x1024 textures, etc.).

Running out of VAS isn't the only way you can OOM. In addition to space that space must also be contiguous, so if the app is calling for say space for 50MB but the largest contiguous space available is only 48MB you will OOM, even if you actually had an overall  total of 400MB available. I can't imagine with 1.1GB space available this would be the case here, but it is possible. Are you checking the space with the task manager, or Process Explorer? If the former you should use PE to get a more accurate figure. 

So, the question is, why I am I getting an OOM with less than 3 GB VAS usage?

Please post your system specs in the My PC part of your profile. It will help people in addressing your issue.

Also, certain versions of Windows have an OOM issue that has nothing to do with addressable RAM limit of 4 GB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

The problem has been fixed by default in both Win 7 x64 and Win 8.