Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ronnie.d

To be or not to be P3D V.2?

Hi guys,

I know there is a mammoth amount of discussion going on the latest version of P3D, it's pros and cons etc. and I am a bit late to join the party, but I have got a problem of my own and I want your suggestions...

I have got a moderate machine with 3.0 GhZ Quad core (2 processors), Windows 7 Pro. 64 bit, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 2GB DDR5 Graphics card.

It was working fine with PMDG 737 and FS2Crew until I download REX essential + Overdrive. With REX my FSX frame rate took a hard hit but now with FTX England and Active Sky Next on top of it I can barely finish a full flight. System either crashes or everything blacks out.

I am wondering if migrating to P3D will offer any improvement keeping in mind that I want to use a migration software to use my fsx add ons. 

I can compromise FTX but I really want to use Active sky's weather engine and REX's texture. 

So should I transfer to P3D or do I need to upgrade my machine?

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Ronnie

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You will need to upgrade your machine (unless you want to keep the sliders to a minimum) + today's add on ARE NOT optimized for P3D, if you want to try P3D do it without add on, you will have problems with existing add on and P3D, staying with FSX for now without overloading your machine with add on is my suggestion. (you can always upgrade your machine for FSX if you got the cash to spend)

First, which GPU ? Specifically what model ?

Secondly, what are you looking for out of your sim ? For the moment, not much doing with addons in P3D2, as much as many try to force the issue (usually to their detriment). Activesky is not working properly with P3D2 for now, in fact I believe only Opus is working well.

Third, do you have the patience to work through understanding the significant differences between how the two sims tick ? If you're not willing to take a good bit of time to tune the sim to your hardware, it might be best to wait it out a bit longer.

Finally, I'd have to say that there really isn't a whole lot of actual benefit to P3D2 right now, unless you are just curious and would like to start learning the ways of the new sim now. There is a good long road ahead before P3D2 will even be remotely capable of outright replacing FSX. I enjoy it quite a bit, but then I keep my expectations in check.

If you're just bored, well, maybe an addon for your current sim would be a better investment, at least for now.

My 3c

GPU - Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Graphics Card (2GB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0, HDMI

What am I looking for - A bit of both performance and aesthetics.

Do I have the patience?  - I don't have time. I do it as a hobby and barely have the time to fly once a week but during that one flight I want some realistic feeling.

ASNext will not work in P3DV2

and OPUS is iffy at the moment, though promissing (???)

Hi guys,

I know there is a mammoth amount of discussion going on the latest version of P3D, it's pros and cons etc. and I am a bit late to join the party, but I have got a problem of my own and I want your suggestions...

I have basically the same set up as you. My GPU is a GTX660. I can run P3D2 with a lot of Orbx sceneries and payware aircraft and have a wonderful experience. They have a 60 day refund policy, give it a try.

You need to make your own mind up.

A lot of very vocal people dont even own P3D2 but will tell you against it, others love it, others believe it is no better than FSX or it is too difficult to make their FSX add ons work.

The SDK for P3D2 is different from the older sims so there will be compatibility issues. In my books, that is a very good thing.

Give it a test and see if it is for you.

Sent from my Mobile thing

GPU - Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Graphics Card (2GB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0, HDMI

What am I looking for - A bit of both performance and aesthetics.

Do I have the patience?  - I don't have time. I do it as a hobby and barely have the time to fly once a week but during that one flight I want some realistic feeling.

Well I'd recommend you just wait/skip P3D2 at least for the short term. I don't think you'd get much enjoyment out of it to be perfectly honest.

A GTX 650 is really stretching it, and as I said, it would take some time for you to adjust to.

A new platform, especially one this new, is never a good place for those that just want to jump in and fly. 

I have basically the same set up as you. My GPU is a GTX660. I can run P3D2 with a lot of Orbx sceneries and payware aircraft and have a wonderful experience. They have a 60 day refund policy, give it a try.

You need to make your own mind up.

A lot of very vocal people dont even own P3D2 but will tell you against it, others love it, others believe it is no better than FSX or it is too difficult to make their FSX add ons work.

The SDK for P3D2 is different from the older sims so there will be compatibility issues. In my books, that is a very good thing.

Give it a test and see if it is for you.

I agree mostly, but a 660 is a good deal more powerful than a 650.

I think that might be setting him up for some disappointment, which I swear we have more than enough of in this forum already  :lol:

Not to be a party pooper, but... If you have a particular preference towards a certain 737, you will find that it is not supported for P3D. At this point in time. Maybe somewhere down the road?

Ohhhhh thanks a lot Will!!!! That gives me some hope….

:dance:

Just remember, despite what people tell you, this is NOT FSX!

dont try to replicate the sliders etc to what you had. You have a blank canvas, adjust the sliders until your sim works well. I flew the Twotter last night, moved the autogen slider from normal to sparse, hardly made a visual difference. Dont be afraid to experiment until you have a good stable rig.

Not to be a party pooper, but... If you have a particular preference towards a certain 737, you will find that it is not supported for P3D. At this point in time. Maybe somewhere down the road?

But my "secret" 737 is working fine. But there again, I don't need any support  :lol:

The only thing I can add to both Will's and Brian's comments (because I think they are both right in their own ways), is to try it and see. After all, if it does not work for you, you can get a refund!! 

From my own perspective it works for me very well and that's with a lowly i5 quad 2.6 overclocked to 3.3 with a GTX560Ti card. The key is to resist the urge to slam those sliders to the right and it is quite possible that you might be pleasantly surprised when trying to compare the two. But don't forget, this is not FSX. Oh, did I say you can get a refund if it does not work for you?

I'm glad I gave it a try because I now have two toys to play with that are, well, quite similar ...... yet worlds apart.

The refund thing is a very good point, and one I forgot completely. 

From what I hear they are very easy to deal with regarding refunds too so, yeah, I guess you really have nothing to lose.

I can't help but wonder if there is a little regret within LM at opening this up to gamers?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I know the once civil and constructive LM forum has changed over the past 18 months !

Brian, I have decided to upgrade my GPU….I am willing invest this time but I want some quality and performance out of it...any suggestions?

Brian, I have decided to upgrade my GPU….I am willing invest this time but I want some quality and performance out of it...any suggestions?

General rule of thumb, a good 6 or 7 series card with as much memory as.possible.

I have a friend who has the same cpu as me but got a GTX770 card wth 4Gb..where I get 40fps with smooth performance on medium sliders he gets 90fps with more detail.

The beauty of this sim is that it uses the better hardware in a more efficient (I didnt say perfect) way than the Microsoft series.

Thank you so much for being so helpful Will!!! Just a final question I have got an option between 780, 3 GB Super clocked  or 760, 4GB. Obviously one's almost double the price of the other but I want to see it as a long term investment.

When you said get as much memory as possible, do you mean 760 4GB would be better than 780, 3GB? I have heard 780 is way ahead and it's performance can only be compared with Titan.

Cheers,

Ronnie

Ronnie, you are right, the 780 is the way to go, the Ti model is even faster for a extra $100.00, up to you to decide if you'r welling to spend that much, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487003  they all come with 3GB, this is the card for P3D right now BUT what will P3D be in 6 > 12 months, will you need more GB?

The card to beat for P3D as far as speed/ GB is still the Titan.

The 760 is not a bad card but this card is already obsolete speed wise if you have P3D in mind, I'm not saying that a 760 would not word, it's just not up to P3D standard.

If you are staying with FSX any of these cards will do, my saying was always "There is no such thing as overkill when it come to PC's"

Hope this help.

Unfortunately Titan is double the price of 780 in the UK  :(

I know, even the Titan will be over run soon, there is more fun stuff coming next year.... :ph34r:

Got my first Titan last weekend second handed for 600 euro.

Now I am looking for the second One ( sli )

Ronnie, I have played with P3D v1.4 on a good system but not top of the line system.  This guy had FSX all tweaked and it ran quite well

but at the same time he would get the occasional hiccup. He only had a ground texture replacement package installed plus some after market

aircraft. He added the ground texture package to P3D and the aircraft using the Migration Tool.

P3D v1.4 looked better and ran better with minimal tweaking. He was able to move all the sliders 1 spot farther to the right and P3D still

had higher frame rates than his FSX installation.

Now personally I will be waiting a couple of months before I buy P3D v2.0.   I'll wait for the dust to settle and hopefully Nvidia will update

their drivers for P3D v2.0.  LM has done all the work Microsoft should have done. I have no doubt once most of the bugs are  worked

out of P3D v2.0 it will become the simulator of choice for all of us.

Ken

The rule of thumb for Nvidia graphics cards is very simple.......don't get anything less than a "6" in the middle. In other words, "560/660/760" etc. Like Brian says, the 660 is a good deal more powerful than the 650, and that philosophy applies to all of the Nvidia range of cards.