Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

Darker VC Shadows?

Hello,

probably I missed something in the manual, but I'm unsure how to get darker VC shadows?

I do not use any ENB Mod etc. and have really slight VC shadows - barely noticeable,especially in comparison to P3D v2 shadows.

Is there a way to get them darker??

Many thanks

Günter

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't found any way yet, although it was something I wanted to revisit.

Note that the shadows are reduced in line with the visibility, if you set visibility to unlimited you should see darker shadows.

SweetFX is the current tool of choice by many "FSX'ers", as it is extremely configurable - color, hue, gamma, contrast, brightness, shadows, and so on.

You can get v1.5.1 here. You will also need to use Adi Sahar's recommendations on the Gamma Gain settings, as it is very dark when it's first started.starts:

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.

/                      Lift Gamma Gain settings               /

'-----------------------------------------------------------*/

#define RGB_Lift  float3(1.000, 1.000, 1.000)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust shadows for Red, Green and Blue

#define RGB_Gamma float3(2.250, 2.250, 2.250)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust midtones for Red, Green and Blue

#define RGB_Gain  float3(1.080, 1.080, 1.080)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust highlights for Red, Green and Blue

- ok!

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Ok I had a look at this. I haven't (yet) found a way to darken shadows but I think that I can counter the fading of shadows as the visibility decreases.

So here is a question.

If I do this in version 1.4 where should shadows fade away? 5nm, 3nm, 2nm, 1nm?

I have currently set it be 100% at 3nm and fade to no shadows at 1nm - does this sound correct?

This means visibility in sm?

Hmmm. can't say, but your suggestion seems to sound good.

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

Ok I had a look at this. I haven't (yet) found a way to darken shadows but I think that I can counter the fading of shadows as the visibility decreases.

So here is a question.

I have currently set it be 100% at 3nm and fade to no shadows at 1nm - does this sound correct?

1 seems fine. In my testing, the sun is completely visible still, anyway.

Brandon Filer

This sounds correct to me. 1nm should be good. I was really hoping we'll see the shadows settings in the fixer eventually.

Thank you for working on this!

Old thread but can't find an answer....does the current Fixer now provide a way to adjust the shadow contrast/darkness amount?

Thanks.

Yes in the shadows dialog, but read the manual chapter 9, if you boost shadows by more than a small amount you may find that a white aircraft in full sun looks like it has oil painted on it.