Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

Are OOM's the Final "Death Knell" of FSX?

I did not say anything about VAS and that is all I'm trying to clarify.  OOM's can be caused by other things than running out of VAS.  A bad OC, overheating, a not so powerful PSU, bad memory modules, AND an incorrectly configured page file.

I do appreciate your help though as I'm NOT the expert here.  The OP has a conservative fsx configuration, no overclock, and he's still getting OOM's.  In any case, I'm just trying to cool things down and get the assistance back on track.  I apologize for being blunt in my first post back to you but it hit a nerve ending when I saw what you were writing.  I'm now going to sit back, take a deep, deep breath and remove myself from further comments.  I hope my recommendations above our comments will help the OP track down his problem and no one should be getting OOM's with his settings.

Best regards,

Ok understood Jim and I certainly did not mean any offence. And I too am not an expert, but I have researched this with a close eye, even long ago in the days when FS9 presented these problems.

And I want to add, I have never seen an FSX user fix VAS/OOM errors by messing with the swap file. Never...

Yes having a poorly configured swap file can lead to issues on many levels but this is hardly the problem we FSX users have when dealing with OOM/VAS limits.

And it frustrates me when I see fellow users frequently telling people who are having these OOM/VAS issues about so called tweaks and fixes that are just not true and that will not fix the OOM/VAS problem. I have even seen MS and A+ certified people telling them this (as many have no idea what the 4GB VAS limit really is, even these so called techs!!).

I'm betting the OP has many entries in his scenery.cfg active still that he is not using while flying his leg.

Having areas active in the scenery.cfg he is not flying in still takes away area on the VAS, doesn't matter if he is any place near them, FSX loads them in the cache anyway. Photo sceneries are the big offenders here but again, anything you are not using on your leg, deactivate it. This tip even made it into the PMDG 777 manual.

My suggestion about using Scenery Config Editor and only having the scenery you are using on that leg active was a big game changer for me. I would like to see the OP try this too.

And I want to add, I have never seen an FSX user fix VAS/OOM errors by messing with the swap file. Never...

Yes having a poorly configured swap file can lead to issues on many levels but this is hardly the problem we FSX users have when dealing with OOM/VAS limits.

Sorry, but i must disagree. I hoppe you don't mind, someone will disagree's here anyway, it's just question of time  ^_^  . But seriously, from my understanding, page file is connected with OOM's / VAS limits. 

Quote from wikipedia:

Paging is one way of allowing the size of the addresses used by a process—the process's "virtual address space" or "logical address space" -- to be different from the amount of main memory actually installed on a particular computer—the physical address space"

So, i think paging file is connected with virtual adress space, and that means paging file is connected in this case with OOM errors too. 

I didn't tried with my last installation, but last year with same settings like today, i folowed advice from some popular fsx guide and i limited paging to 3072-3072. After that started FSX and got OOM error instantly. Reverted to system managed, and i never got another OOM. So, in my experience, paging file is very important to be set to system managed, like Jim suggested.

Sorry, but i must disagree. I hoppe you don't mind, someone will disagree's here anyway, it's just question of time  ^_^  . But seriously, from my understanding, page file is connected with OOM's / VAS limits. 

Quote from wikipedia:

Paging is one way of allowing the size of the addresses used by a process—the process's "virtual address space" or "logical address space" -- to be different from the amount of main memory actually installed on a particular computer—the physical address space"[/size]

So, i think paging file is connected with virtual adress space, and that means paging file is connected in this case with OOM errors too. 

I didn't tried with my last installation, but last year with same settings like today, i folowed advice from some popular fsx guide and i limited paging to 3072-3072. After that started FSX and got OOM error instantly. Reverted to system managed, and i never got another OOM. So, in my experience, paging file is very important to be set to system managed, like Jim suggested.

You are incorrect sir. As Jim noted that they have nothing to do with each other..

When you have an OOM error again after setting your swap file back to system managed you can come back here and change your statement.

thanks for the heated effort here guys, going to change my setup to system managed page file see how it affects VAS usage.

thanks for the heated effort here guys, going to change my setup to system managed page file see how it affects VAS usage.

UGH!

I give up! Thus the reason I do not like discussing OOM/VAS.

Here is a great link, if you decide to read then great, if not well all the power to you.

http://#####.wordpress.com/fsx-oom-and-addon-vas-usage/

Put your traffic sliders at 0 and then test.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ok understood Jim and I certainly did not mean any offence. And I too am not an expert, but I have researched this with a close eye, even long ago in the days when FS9 presented these problems.

And it frustrates me when I see fellow users frequently telling people who are having these OOM/VAS issues about so called tweaks and fixes that are just not true and that will not fix the OOM/VAS problem. I have even seen MS and A+ certified people telling them this (as many have no idea what the 4GB VAS limit really is, even these so called techs!!).

I'm betting the OP has many entries in his scenery.cfg active still that he is not using while flying his leg.

Having areas active in the scenery.cfg he is not flying in still takes away area on the VAS, doesn't matter if he is any place near them, FSX loads them in the cache anyway. Photo sceneries are the big offenders here but again, anything you are not using on your leg, deactivate it. This tip even made it into the PMDG 777 manual.

My suggestion about using Scenery Config Editor and only having the scenery you are using on that leg active was a big game changer for me. I would like to see the OP try this too.

Hmmm,

Only using NL2000 v4.0 photo scenery (nothing else), PW sceneries 1-4 and only have about 6 add on AP's (FSDT/Fly Tampa). Have Scenery Tech for the rest of the globe, no mesh, UTX Europe and a half dozen freeware AP's (AIG Etc...).

Is this considered an extensive scenery list that needs areas deactivated?

Thanks!

Chris Camp

This does not seem that extensive to be honest. And I can and do understand where Jim may be thinking something else is at play here.

It is possible that one of your sceneries has a memory leak as another poster mentioned (freeware may be and usually is the culprit if that is the issue).

Couple things to test and note here.

What is your VAS usage once you get to the main FSX screen?

(mine is 600MB, leaving me with 3.4GB)

Also, What is your VAS usage when your flight first loads and you're sitting on the ramp at an addon airport in the PMDG 777?

(for me with a lean scenery.cfg at FSDT KLAX with MSE V1 and FSDT KLAS with MSE Vegas active I am uusing 2.2 to 2.4GB leaving me with 1.8 to 1.6GB of headroom) 

What are you using to monitor your VAS usage?

I was flying my Feelthere ERJ back to IAH, forgot to turn on my scenery for IAH, so I was coming into IAH with default scenery & I ended up after landing & taxing I got the dreaded OOM message.. I would like to be like your pc & can go fly all day with no OOM issues.. Not too mention I had been flying for extended period of time more than I should have been because PROATC stop working correctly & didn't descend me on schedule or I would of probably had no issues...  Because I never usually have any issues even with scenery on at IAH.. Its usually LAX I have all my OOM problems there if any..

So I'd give to not have OOM like you guys.. Keep up the great flying without OOM problems & hope you never had them..

Capt. Bill Brewer    

:p0503: 

Jim,

Your quote directly conflicts with the Software/Hardware guide that states you should setup a fixed page file. In fact, the page file shown on the two images that used to be accessible via in the link to Drop Box (page 11) showed a fixed size of 3072.If you look further there are actually three conflicts:

1) Your quote below which says system managed is best?

2) The link to Drop Box that is now gone (was there last week and showed a fixed size of 3072)?

3) Text on page 11 says 2048 should be the fixed page file size ?

So which should I follow (your CTD Guide conflicts with the Software Hardware Guide)?

"Something is definitely wrong with OP's setup to be getting OOM's with those settings!! Those are even lower than in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide or any guide I have seen for configuring FSX!! I have a feeling his pagefile is set too high. There are false rumors about high pagefile settings. FSX works best with System Managed Size. For a great understanding of VAS, pagefile, RAM, etc., the OP should read the Intro manual for the PMDG 777 starting at page 21 and/or read about VAS and OOM's in the AVSIM CTD Guide."

Best regards,

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

FSX SP2/Acc can allocate about 4GB of VAS.

If all of it fits into the RAM: Good.

If 2 GB fits into the RAM and 2 GB in the page file: Also good.

If you exceed the 4GB limit: Boom.

So just make sure that FSX gets its 4GB assigned in whatever way and, more importantly, that you don't fkn exceed it.

Dump HD texture crap, turn down sliders, keep it simple.

Also: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/75637-oom-warning/#entry461664

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

You are incorrect sir. As Jim noted that they have nothing to do with each other..

And this is further stated starting on Page 21 of the PMDG 777 Intro guide believed written by TABS or info received from Word Not Allowed.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I agree with the dx10 preview and fixer, it reduces VAS. I was not able to fly into fsdt cyvr and orbx pnw with the Pmdg 777, now the vas does not go over 3gb in the same situation with same settings..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stefan Ticusan

So which should I follow (your CTD Guide conflicts with the Software Hardware Guide)?

There is no conflict Bill. Why are you getting upset with me over this? The Software and Hardware Guide was superseded by the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide some time ago. I go by AVSIM guidance and other articles I have read around the Internet. Why are you trying to find conflicts with what I say and what other individuals say. I mean, you are going into every little sentence written everywhere and looking especially for something that is in conflict with others. Like I said, I go by the AVSIM CTD Guide, the guidance in the PMDG 777 Intro starting on page 21 and some other articles I have read on this subject around the Internet. I'm not a PaulJ, a NickN, or a Word Not Allowed. I don't want to be one of these guys who knows everything about computers. I get my guidance from what I read about OOM's around the Internet and all of the various articles written about Page files, memory management, and computers systems. I may be right and I may be wrong but I think I'm mostly right.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.