Sign in to follow this  
rippy

Next p3d patch / fix en route

I think if you paid $200 for a pro license you have the right to be a bit p'd off at the amount of bugs present.

Not that I'm completely disagreeing with you there, especially since your comment is intended to be diplomatic.  However, I would like to think that before I would spend $200 on anything, I carefully research as to whether I am making a wise purchase.  This doesn't necessarily mean 'bug-free' or 'perfect', but rather whether the product as-is meets my requirements and/or expectations, or whether I have faith in the developer to further refine the product.

I'm not claiming that P3D is perfect, or bug-free, but it's quite obvious that P3D is being further refined, and I have a decent amount of faith that LM is committed to that process.  Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but that's all I would ask for.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

If you click on Word Not Allowed's website, he states that he has a Zotac GTX 580, an i7 2600K and 8 GB of RAM.

I won't post the link because Word Not Allowed is banned from the AVSim forums.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=4286

Go through the entire thread. Beau admitted that autogen is still running on the CPU, and it won't be multithreaded further because it's "as optimised as it can be".

A couple of quick points to make there, the autogen is 100% rendered on the GPU. That being said, there is still a fair amount of work to be done every frame figuring out which trees to draw, and submitting them to the GPU for rendering. At the highest autogen settings, in 2.0 the number of trees being rendered is much higher. Depending on the area the total number of buildings and trees can more than double. In addition, if you have the settings "the same" you are also getting dynamically lit terrain, a more complex lighting model, much improved paging performance, and a larger LOD radius before getting blurry terrain textures, to name a few things.

Zach Heylmun

Software Engineer - Prepar3D® Team

EDIT: One more thing, Beau promised Word Not Allowed that with a GTX Titan, he would be getting 30 FPS in all scenarios. Word Not Allowed made tests with a GTX Titan system, but he was getting lower FPS because Prepar3D 2.0 is still CPU-limited, unless you turn up all shadows and water effects, which means you'll be getting below 20 FPS. Beau isn't right about the CPU utilisation

from same thread -

"On our Titan based test system with a 4770k, we can achieve frame-rates above 30fps in most areas with literally every slider maxed out."

Word Not Allowed's response

Correct, I also tested this one a Titan machine, which has proven to reach very high frames with all sliders up.

OK, you are unhappy - I get it - then get a refund and stop raining on the parade.

This is NOT a perfect world - get used to it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If you click on Word Not Allowed's website, he states that he has a Zotac GTX 580, an i7 2600K and 8 GB of RAM.

I know, he used a friend's system to make the GTX Titan tests.

... Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but that's all I would ask for.

I'm beginning to think that flight simmers are perfectionists. Read the ongoing thread in the AVSim forums about the XPlane 10.30 Blog.

How some folks operate in the real world is beyond me. Must be such a joy around the dinner table :rolleyes:

Back on topic - as posted in another thread they've isolated some causes for the autogen OOMs.

The original point included Lockheed Martin's statement - what else is needed?

Agreed Gerry!

and this today:

3) EDITED BY BEAU - We found the main cause of vegetation-related OOMs. While technically not leaking, the 1k tiles aren't being removed aggressively enough. They get removed when the scenery region that owns them is removed which essentially means that they might stick around in memory as long as a distance landmark building would. We are working to fix this issue.

Vic

How some folks operate in the real world is beyond me. Must be such a joy around the dinner table

ROFL! My sentiments exactly!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I had a look around there today and discovered all the problems Avsim has been having with it 503 errors etcetera, is caused by someone [not Word Not Allowed] putting some sort of hex [not hack :P ] on the site... only when he deems Avsim to have "humbled" its self will he bless it to restore function – and he ain’t joking  :LMAO:  ... there are some weird and dark corners on the internet, but that place is up there :lol:

Sorry, totally OT... but I thought it was funny :unsure:

I'm not claiming that P3D is perfect, or bug-free, but it's quite obvious that P3D is being further refined, and I have a decent amount of faith that LM is committed to that process. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but that's all I would ask for.

As for big corporations and flight simulators I tend not to trust them. I wonder why ;) But presently commitment is high and I sure hope they will keep it up since I am not going back to anything with a MS logo on it.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

As I've stated in other threads, I used to be a training manager for the Air Force and had several projects I managed that included computer based training, etc.  Even back in the 90s the folks I worked with at LM were into flight simulations.  While I can't speak for the crew that is developing P3D, I can say that the folks I worked with had a passion for getting things right.

From what I've seen this division of LM displays some of that same commitment.  And no I'm not a paid spokesperson for LM...lol.  Just my humble observations.

I just wish LM would get their poo poo straight.  I don't know why we can't get the same performance out of the prepar3d team as other clients get out of the patriot missile battery team, or their F-22 raptor team.  You never hear their destroyer crews complaining like we do.  These P3D guys must be a bunch of clowns.

Sigh

I just wish LM would get their poo poo straight.  I don't know why we can't get the same performance out of the prepar3d team as other clients get out of the patriot missile battery team, or their F-22 raptor team.  You never hear their destroyer crews complaining like we do.  These P3D guys must be a bunch of clowns.

Sigh

You're kidding, right...? ^_^

the prepar3d team as other clients get out of the patriot missile battery team, or their F-22 raptor team. You never hear their destroyer crews complaining like we do.

How much money is involved in a Patriot or F-22 and how much in Prepar3D?

How much money is involved in a Patriot or F-22 and how much in Prepar3D?

Or: how much TIME was spend on for instance the F-22 before it was 'bug free'...? The time spend on P3D (from the moment they started working on it, not since the release of v2) is utter peanuts compared to the time spend on getting the F-22 to work right. You should have heard the testing crews complaining for years, if not decades... :rolleyes: