Sign in to follow this  
manuthie

OSM never looked better (lot's of big images - you have been warned)

When will be the first non-beta release that I can simply install? As a package, as an end user?

Also, I tried Dublin, but I assume the osm data is bad as I did not see no where as many objects as those screenshots in Germany above ^^!

Thanks Ian

When will be the first non-beta release that I can simply install? As a package, as an end user?

There is no need for an installer, just download the app and run it from the folder. The app will be in beta for a long time (i.e. until I decide to stop adding features). Most people will simply download ready-made scenery for it (e.g. From Simheaven).  If someone wants to create a friendly GUI for it, then I'd be grateful for the help.

Also, I tried Dublin, but I assume the osm data is bad as I did not see no where as many objects as those screenshots in Germany above

Yes, Ireland as well as the UK doesn't have nearly as much data as Germany. You can read here for more information: http://world2xplane.com/2014/03/16/how-will-my-regioncountry-look-using-world2xplane/. If you want to see data in Dublin, you'll need to begin editing OSM yourself. Otherwise, this program will do very little.

hi manuthie

Really amazing shots they look so real l!!!

Just a few questions I would like to ask you about what you installed to get them looking as good as they do

1.  Is this scenery you produced yourself avalible here??

http://simheaven.com/experimental/

2. What resolutions are you running xplane 1080p??  also what frame rates were you getting

3. What spec is your pc ??

4. Did you install the following ??

Alpilotx`s HD mesh for the hills in the background

R2-Library

FF library

Opensceneryx

thanks

looking forward to your reply

1.  Is this scenery you produced yourself avalible here??

http://simheaven.com/experimental/

I didn't produce the scenery myself. I just downloaded it from link you named. So - yes - it is available there.

2. What resolutions are you running xplane 1080p?? also what frame rates were you getting

My monitor resolution is 2560 x 1440. The images are slightly smaller since I was not running in full screen mode. The images are 2560 x 1378 in size. For the screenshots I maxed out almost every setting except anti aliasing which was set to "2x SSAA + FXAA". Thus it was a single digits slideshow - I don't know exactly what frame rates I got since I turned it of for the screenshots but my guess would be around 5 fps.

Reducing shadow detail and word distance detail usually helps a lot to get flyable fps.

3. What spec is your pc ??

I have an Intel i5-2500 with 16 gig of ram and an AMD Radeon 7870.

4. Did you install the following ??

Alpilotx`s HD mesh for the hills in the background

R2-Library

FF library

Opensceneryx

I do have all those installed. R2-Library FF Library and OpensceneryX are requirements for the World2XPlane scenery anyway. I don't think the HD mesh had any effect here though since as far as I know the photo scenery from simHeaven has it's own mesh.

I don't think the HD mesh had any effect here though since as far as I know the photo scenery from simHeaven has it's own mesh.

Yes Simheavens photo sceneries embark its own mesh (derived from alpilotx). Now if your Simheaven photo sceneries are older than a few month, you should d/l the HD Mesh V2 from simheaven and 'patch' your actual simheaveans photo sceneries, as the mesh has improved (still derived from alpilotx, to get them into the photo scenery working ;-) )

Cheers

Damn... Makes me kind of think with the horrible scenery I have in FS9. Makes me not even want to look at the ground with those low quality textures.

Definitely when I get a better computer I will run X plane as a secondary sim (for VFR) operations. And FS9  for airline.

Yes Simheavens photo sceneries embark its own mesh (derived from alpilotx). Now if your Simheaven photo sceneries are older than a few month, you should d/l the HD Mesh V2 from simheaven and 'patch' your actual simheaveans photo sceneries, as the mesh has improved (still derived from alpilotx, to get them into the photo scenery working ;-) )

Cheers

I downloaded that photo scenery file before hd mesh v2 was released so it was the old version for sure. However since all buildings and forests are generated by World2XPlane the only thing from the mesh of the photo scenery is elevation data. I will get an updated file and so how much of a difference it makes.

Nothing short of amazing! We need this for FSX.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Nothing short of amazing! We need this for FSX.

For P3D, I'm definitely thinking about it ;-). The problem will be the memory limit I think 

Yes, memory limit CAN be a problem, but... look at Switzerland Proffessional X, it works in the same way - photo ground + hand placed autogen. NEver had any memory problems with it on very dense autogen settings. I agree that autogen detail will be much higher with OSM, but you can control that with autogen density slider.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Also, another example of good autogen (if that's the correct word) is FranceVFR. There scenery is highly detailed, and very very well done (well, the v2 stuff anyway), and I've never hit the memory limit with that. Interestingly they say they can't port their autogen tech to X-Plane as it doesn't support it, which is really odd, as it looks like they've done a similar thing to World2XPlane in regards to placing objects.

I think though if you add shadows to the mix, and detailed airplane and high res photo scenery, then you're just asking for trouble on a 32-bit system. 

It would be nice to see it for P3D. Only bummer would be that you wouldn't be able to have region specific autogen for it

You would B) . If I were to do a P3D output, it would use the same config and models as X-Plane. The models would of course be converted to FSX format, but they would be placed and rotated exactly the same as they are currently in X-Plane.  Which is why I don't like to call it autogen, since there isn't really anything auto about it, it's real objects placed from real locations in OSM. It's actually more hand-placed