Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

So, where are we three months later?

After all of the initial teething problems with V2 and then subsequent V2.1, I kind of gave up on P3D for a while. 

Are we any closer to Nirvana yet?  Is there still belief that this is the replacement platform for FSX?  Have we found fixes for all the niggles?  Or is everything still conjecture, trial and error, speculation and band-aids for now?

Eric

"So, where are we three months later?"

Busy simming, :smile:

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Depends. For others, Prepar3D 2.1 is their dream simulator, while for others it's a nightmare. OOMs remain as the biggest problem so far, but they should be fixed in an upcoming hotfix (nobody knows when it's coming out though). There are still many other issues too that should be fixed in the next patch.

Wait for Prepar3D 2.2.

Using P3D2 and Orbux makes a wonderful combination. Some airport thing do not work, so I just let all the flight time be in summer and I do not notice that which might make other people mad.

I ditched FSX ages ago and I'm glad I did. P3Dv2.1 has been a dream.

Yes, there are still a few minor niggles but nothing compared to what I had to suffer with FSX.

Are we any closer to Nirvana yet? - Damn right we are.

Is there still belief that this is the replacement platform for FSX? - Never any doubt.

Have we found fixes for all the niggles? - Not all of them but most rational people can live with what's left, at least we now have a team of professionals working on it (unlike the obsolessciant FSX).

Or is everything still conjecture, trial and error, speculation and band-aids for now? -  You really do have a big downer on P3D. Be happy. There will always be conjecture and speculation about up-comming releases - that's a good thing isn't it? It promotes interest. - Trial and error is mostly used by tinkerers and .cfg manipulators to tweak as much out of it as possible - ideal for those with weak or under powered systems. By band-aids I presume you mean the fixes, updates and improvements LM put out. Well I suppose it's a lot better than NOT supplying fixes, updates and improvements (much like Microsoft don't).

Be brave, jump in, the water is fine.

BHc0.jpg

Blackrat

I have decided month ago to keep fsx in parallel with Prepar3d. But the verdict after 3 months is that i never fired fsx once.

Not perfect but the plus win over the remaining issues....

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

I need to upgrade my video card and might as well do the rest.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

X-Plane 10 is the answer my friends, X-Plane 10 is the answer.

Might be the answer in a few years, definitely not now.

X-Plane to me felt 'arcadey' but that's strictly my opinion on playing with the Demo when I decided to find a flight sim to mess around with.

I ended up picking Prepar3D because it's similar it FSX which I have played on since a kid but yet it's still supported. I'm about 5-6 months into playing with P3D and have had very few issues.  I do wish there were a few more aircraft but I'll manage with what I have.

I doubt I could live long enough to where X-Plane is the answer!?!

Seems I recall folks saying that 5 or 6yrs ago. :) I do hope it would be.

I have been using P3D since the day v2 came out, one thing to realize is that there is a hotfix coming for some OOM issues and a few others but it such a stable sim with the potential to really grow. I spent today tweaking (In my obsession to find the sweet 30fps which everyone covets) but I definitely didn't need to; its a much more stable and trouble free sim with the ability to get as in depth as you want.

A few things which will really bring the sim to life: PMDG aircraft, and with the recent release of ASN its looking really good.

I have the demo downloaded and installed but its not the same nor does it have the third party offerings which the P3D platform has and will be soon getting. Yes the flight model is a little better but without a realistic environment to match I will take the slight tradeoff.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

I've been authorized to talk a little about the next update and will be allowed to post a video of it next week (waiting for another build that will make cloud shadows look even better than they already do in my current beta build).  I never realized just how much cloud shadows bring to sense of immersion - but they do and I can't wait to share it with those interested.

I don't get ALL the information from LM, they are using me primarily as a source to test out the many P3DV2 "compatible" add-ons (i.e. the products that do indeed claim compatibility).

The cloud shadows don't appear to induce much of a frame rate hit ... but again, I'm running a i7 3960x with a Titan and fast SSDs.  

The current 2.2 beta I have (still showing 2.1 in version info, but was told it's 2.2) is very good on VAS ... I've been running Autogen Extreme (both Veg and Buildings) and so far have not exceeded 2.8GB (1 hour flight) - bare in mind this is using Orbx FTX Global, NCA Region, PNW Region, Vector 1.1, REX 4, FSGRW and/or OpusFSX, and 3rd party aircraft - so it's pretty well loaded up with compatible add-on, not some isolated test.  In fact, 2.2 beta is so good on VAS now that it's made me question the need for 64bit (if you know me, you know I've been pushing for 64bit).

Stutters are still present but have been reduced and LM are still working on further reduction of stutters.

SLi/Crossfire is currently still not fully supported.  I have no idea if this will be in an official feature in 2.2 but it's still very much on the near future radar (and not being ignored).

I'm not here to suggest you "pick a simulation" go with whatever you like or use all three ... I've stopped using FSX but that's just my personal choice.  Progress is being made on P3DV2.x and it's very impressive.

I don't test every single possible option ... just impossible for me to do (I do this late evening with what little free time I have).  I am however happy to test out an specific scenarios for people assuming the same add-ons I have.  14 hr flights I'm probably not going to test ;)  

I don't use migration tools either.  With that said, I still have been using some 3rd party aircraft that were NOT designed for P3DV2 and/or don't have an installer that works with P3DV2 ... but my expectations when using those products are different than when using products that are designed for P3DV2.  So keep that in mind.

So enjoy whatever platform you like, all or just one ... if they meet your expectations then keep on enjoying them.  There are/were good programming teams behind FSX, P3D, and XPlane ... supporting them is a good thing be it professionally or as training or as individual.

Cheers, Rob.

So enjoy whatever platform you like, all or just one ... if they meet your expectations then keep on enjoying them.  There are/were good programming teams behind FSX, P3D, and XPlane ... supporting them is a good thing be it professionally or as training or as individual.

Cheers, Rob.

Well said.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."