Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

So, where are we three months later?

The current 2.2 beta I have (still showing 2.1 in version info, but was told it's 2.2) is very good on VAS ... I've been running Autogen Extreme (both Veg and Buildings) and so far have not exceeded 2.8GB (1 hour flight) - bare in mind this is using Orbx FTX Global, NCA Region, PNW Region, Vector 1.1, REX 4, FSGRW and/or OpusFSX, and 3rd party aircraft - so it's pretty well loaded up with compatible add-on, not some isolated test.  In fact, 2.2 beta is so good on VAS now that it's made me question the need for 64bit (if you know me, you know I've been pushing for 64bit).

WOW! Thanks Rob for that great info. 

Looking forward to the the 2.2 

I love P3D for the visibility thingi.. I never realized how important this was and I am getting spoiled with it..  But then I suffered two OOMs today and decided to start up FSX and the 777.. but that too crapped out on me,,,so I went to watching TV..  Oh the Horror!  :lol:

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I wont get excited or recommend P3DV2 untill LM resolves the stutter and AA issues. I don't see that anytime soon if ever. Resolving the OOM's is simply fixing what they broke in the last update. Havnt some of us been saying 32 optimized is what is required.

The current 2.2 beta I have (still showing 2.1 in version info, but was told it's 2.2) is very good on VAS

Awesome!  

Stutters are still present but have been reduced

Just like any other engine.  Get the right flow at all the different inputs/outputs/venturi/injection/ports and no more spits and pops. 

That's really kick &@($* news Rob.  Thanks for the update.

I wont get excited or recommend P3DV2 untill LM resolves the stutter and AA issues.

There are two categories of stutters, one IS simply a performance issue, the other is a threading issue.  Solution to performance stutters is better performing hardware or reduce graphics settings.  Good progress has been made to solve threading stutters.

Resolving the OOM's is simply fixing what they broke in the last update

No, and you know that's not accurate.

Havnt some of us been saying 32 optimized is what is required.

Yes, and you maybe correct ... until 3rd party push the envelope even more. ;)

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the inside scoop Rob! Keep us updated when you can...:good:

The current 2.2 beta I have (still showing 2.1 in version info, but was told it's 2.2) is very good on VAS ... I've been running Autogen Extreme (both Veg and Buildings) and so far have not exceeded 2.8GB (1 hour flight) - bare in mind this is using Orbx FTX Global, NCA Region, PNW Region, Vector 1.1, REX 4, FSGRW and/or OpusFSX, and 3rd party aircraft - so it's pretty well loaded up with compatible add-on, not some isolated test.  In fact, 2.2 beta is so good on VAS now that it's made me question the need for 64bit (if you know me, you know I've been pushing for 64bit).

That sounds really good. Hopefully Prepar3D 2.2 will be the simulator we wanted.

Is there any progress on multithreading and CPU performance optimisation?

Actually… it's FOUR months already.  ^_^ Can't you guys count?  :P

Anyway, P3D v2.1 is my sim of choice and FSX has been gone since day one. No way I am going back to FSX. I gave it a try again after some three months of using P3D (wanted to test something) and uninstalled it again instantly. And the great news from Rob (thanks for that!) makes me even more enthusiastic about P3D! If Rob questions the need for 64 bit, that 2.2 update has to be huge!

I don't get ALL the information from LM, they are using me primarily as a source to test out the many P3DV2 "compatible" add-ons (i.e. the products that do indeed claim compatibility).

Stutters are still present but have been reduced and LM are still working on further reduction of stutters.

SLi/Crossfire is currently still not fully supported.  I have no idea if this will be in an official feature in 2.2 but it's still very much on the near future radar (and not being ignored).

Cheers, Rob.

1st:Good to hear they keep on going.

2nd:Stutters are in my perception also created by the way windows works, i am of the impression that windows 7 uses two "modes" at the same time.

Program-mode and Service-mode.

I think that the kernel-scheduler does something like this, it gives the program the most CPU cycles but ofcourse also needs to give the services some CPU cycles as well.

I think in sequence (think serial, not parallel) it has for example 100 CPU cycles available per time, and therefore gives the program 90 and the services 10.

The problem imho arrises when the profile/user that is defined for services is differently set up (ergo different powermanagement settings, authorisations, different joystick configs, enzzzz.), in other words the CPU runs as your username 90cycles out of 100 and in admin/machine mode 10cycles out of 100 cycles.

If your usermode is for example set to have "No Powermanagement" and the admin/machine mode sneakily uses "Max Powermanagement" then the PC is going to perform like:

Fast->Fast->Fast->Fast->Fast->Fast->Fast->Fast->Fast->Slow->"repeat"

In other words i think stuttering could also be caused by threading/CPUperformance mismatches by windows itself, since windows has a threading/CPU scheduler of its own.

3rd:Imho it would be wisest for LM to not focus that heavily on SLi/Crossfire with DX12 coming up, since DX12 is supposed to do that in a more generic/optimal way.

It would be a waste of time perfectionising a certain amount of code only to have to completely rewrite it a year later.

Imho it is better to keep optimising the single CPU&GPU code as much as possible since i believe the amount of data and computations needed to render a scene in the current program should be within the "current average" of computers available when comparing with other game-engines.

That's great news, Rob. I am really looking forward to no longer having to monitor VAS usage, although I haven't had an OOM since the hot fix.

Frans

All great news.  

I'm certainly not down on P3D. Just waiting to throw myself in.  I believe it is the future.

Cloud shadows?  Wow, I've been playing with those in XP10, but I'd love to see them in P3D.

As for stutters, I was getting horrible freezing until I decided to reset the P3D NVidia Inspector profile back to default and now it's as smooth as butter, with hardly a stutter in sight!

:biggrin:

Still haven't got more than a 10 minute flight on it. At least it stopped crashing with 2.1 but the AA is still unacceptable the lighting is terrible the shadows are un-usable .

No stutters or OOMs but I suspect that's because I still have default textures and zero addons installed.

Long live my smooth as butter FSX.