Sign in to follow this  
FSXtrial

Help getting realism in FSX.

I have not set a sim up in a very long time. My son wants rudder pedals to practice for flight school. I guess I am trying to go a step further. The setup I have seen I liked the look of was FSX, active sky next, ORBX, REX4. I also have looked at GEX, FEX, UTX, Opus. Not knowing how any of these truly perform I am asking for help. I would like the realism for sky, ground obstacles, water, flight, and weather if I am going to do this correctly. I do not even know how all this works any more. We have not been on a FS since FS 2004 and that was only a little. It would be very helpful to have input from some well versed users. My last real journey into this I had to use three computer to setup three monitors out of necessity. So I am waaaaaaaay behind.

FSX, Ultimate Terrain X, FTX Global, Active Sky Next, Ultimate Traffic 2, Rex 4 would be my suggestion. 

Oh ok that threw me off. I kept reading and saw the videos that ORBX was better. I also read that UTX FTX ASN were good. I actually like them both but from viewing it just looked better. That does not say how well it functions though. Maybe ORBX does not work as well? I am glad I asked now. Just curious what your thoughts were. As I said I am basically new again to this. Thank you.

I used to use UTX and all the other software the respondent above posted. I've moved to FTX and Vector (plus REX for clouds and ASN for weather) and it's a whole new sim with no performance impact (at least on my rig). I'd never go any other way.  I think I've owned just about all the third part stuff.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

just a suggestion, take a look at Avsim screenshots, that might help....

I have a bigger question if ORBX get the nod. I am not sure how to buy things FTX and Vector yes. After that though what has to happen all the little airports and scenery or this enough with the two? I am not sure really what has to be bought. And that is my dilemma with ORBX.

I understand you're speaking about graphics enhancement software (which for I recommend REX Texture Direct for one) what really decides if you want to fly with realism is your aircraft. If you're into heavies for realism, payware (such as PMDG's payware) are definitely the way to go. There are other types of aircraft and payware, select what you'd like. This also includes small turbo props such as Cessnas. Or maybe some of the business jets like the Citation.

In my opinion, FSX default aircraft are not to realism standards, there are many switches that don't work and are just standing there.

Above all, if you haven't already, I suggest getting a payware aircraft, or a freeware if it meets your expectations. ^_^  

Very good information so far. Planes that is the next section or what is turning into a big project. But I will buy those as he needs them. He is only in cesna's at the moment. But I do need that information. I will find out what his trainer is. REX4 is on the list for sure.

Oh ok that threw me off. I kept reading and saw the videos that ORBX was better. I also read that UTX FTX ASN were good. I actually like them both but from viewing it just looked better. That does not say how well it functions though. Maybe ORBX does not work as well? I am glad I asked now. Just curious what your thoughts were. As I said I am basically new again to this. Thank you.

I stayed with Ultimate Terrain X over getting the Vector program from FTX I think is who made it because there seemed to be quite a few issues. Maybe since the program has been out awhile the major issues have been resolved but since I do most of my flying in the US UTX was a easy choice for me. 

ORBX scenery is great and I have a bunch of it. I just don't have a need for the vector program. 

FSX, Ultimate Terrain X, FTX Global, Active Sky Next, Ultimate Traffic 2, Rex 4 would be my suggestion. 

UTX vector data isn't compatible with FTX Global vector night lighting. The two companies are direct competitors of each other and I wouldn't recommend mixing their products.

@ the OP's question:

I've tried all of the addons you listed and some you haven't, and in the end as of 2014 I would recommend the following as a place to start:

- FTX Global

- Active Sky Next

- REX (all textures except sky colors and clouds)

- HDEv2 sky colors and clouds (freeware)

- SweetFX shader injector (freeware)

That will give you a solid looking sim with the most realistic weather I've seen and the best sky and cloud textures at a 2048 resolution.

If you wanted you could expand and go for FTX Global Vector but it's not really required as the FTX Global base package already gives a night vs day improvement to how FSX terrain looks along with worldwide night lighting at no performance cost.

A lot of people have also chosen to use the High Definition Environment v2 sky/cloud textures over REX or Active Sky including myself. REX clouds, for lack of a better explanation, look like they were "painted" with a brush into the sky.

HDEv2 clouds (and their sky colors), in my opinion, look a lot more realistic and detailed.

SweetFX is similar to ENB series and Shade 2.0. I've tried all 3 and like SweetFX for it's on-the-fly and user-friendly configurator that lets you change settings while the sim is running in real time.

ENB requires you to edit a text file and it's clunky to make changes and test them out after constant restarts of the sim.

Shade is payware and imo makes the textures way too dark during the daytime.

In the past I've used AS 6.5, ASE, and AS2012 along with OpusFSX and FSGRW.

The most recent Active Sky Next tops all of those in terms of cloud generation, visibility changes, turbulence, and precipitation.

Some people might recommend mesh software like FSGenesis but I've had bad experiences with airports in holes or plateaus. It's not something that's really gives a huge "oh wow" feeling for me, it's just a few extra sprinkles on the cake. If mesh actually gave slopes to runways that would be something, but FSX limitations don't allow that unfortunately.

As aj mentioned above  but rex4  with asn  you cant go wrong,   you just got to choose  what land textures you want

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I will ask this and try wording this so it does not sound like I am stuck to any certain software. I like what I see from ASN. I like what I see from both flight1 and ORBX. I could care less about an airport if the slopes are not there. I am trying to set one up for me for fun but the real concern is for my son to practice with. No I can not afford a FS that is pilot training approved. But as far as wind turbulence and weather and obstacle avoidance realism is important. sky water looks and effects important. I would like to tie into real time or historic weather (I think ASN will do).

Now for ORBX vs. Flight1(UTX GEX FEX).

I probably will end up with both eventually.

1. Which would be better for my sons training practice realism?

2. What is the part of either program that creates the land slopes curves mountains bridges buildings that he might need to avoid if in low flight?

3. What is needed for ORBX as far as global or the sections of the rockies northwest pacific?

4. Is night flying landing any better with one vs. the other?

I may set one up with Flight1 stuff and the other up with ORBX so what is the best for both is helping.

I really appreciate the help. I almost spent a ton of money on things I should not have bought without your help.

For night flying, which I fly almost all the time on, UTX is an absolute must. It's great. I suggest that should definitely be on the list.

I fly with Rex texture direct. I really like the large selection of sky & cloud textures available.

Does anyone know how to get volumetric clouds & fog? I do not want PREPAR3D. This is a big one for realism. Volumetric fog & cloud hasn't been discussed.

Oh that's a good point but is fog available in FSX or prepar3d? I forget those little details since I now live in a desert and we get fog about every 20 years!!! He will have to deal with it though. Ok here is where I am at.

So far I will get these two machines going. which would be better for training purposes? I assume ORBX and UTX on the same PC is a no no. Any changes or mistakes in these choices?

Machine 1

ANS

REX4

HDEv2

SweetFX

FTX global

Vector

Machine 2

UTX USA/Canada

REX4

ANS

???

???

I do need one for him that wont need adjusting and won't be crashing he has no love for computers. I realize it happens but some things take less fine tuning than others. He is away at school.

You will eventually encounter crashes with FSX.. And they suck, because they interrupt your whole flight. There is no autosave. But you can save. The downside to this is, if he will be flying the large aircraft, many things that affect the flight, most importantly the autopilot flight plan, will not save.

As for volumetric fog (more importantly clouds).. There's no way to get that. Unless you use OPUS, which I believe adds fog to low level clouds,

But the clouds themselves are just like pieces of paper you can fly through.

Now, PREPAR3D, it is very good. There are volumetric clouds and fog. The downside is that although PREPAR3D was made from FSX' source code, many addons, most importantly the PMDG Boeing 777 is not compatible with PREPAR3D. Which is why I do not use PREPAR3D. Not just aircraft addons may not be compatible, but also the graphics addons you selected. Check with their products and assure they are compatible.

I fly FSX because porting to PREPAR3D is a massive hassle for yourself. Some addons may not work, I've spent over $200 on addons. Some of them don't work on PREPAR3D.

What really matters though, will be the aircraft.