LOL!!!! Sensual story...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Spent all day today reinstalling FSX + add-ons and started optimizing without overclocking.  I forgot how much work that is.  A lot to do.  My mind is on Prepar3D...looking forward to seeing more.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Spent all day today reinstalling FSX + add-ons and started optimizing without overclocking.  I forgot how much work that is.  A lot to do.  My mind is on Prepar3D...looking forward to seeing more.

I can assure you, you need to prepare yourself for the revolution!

no pun intended :lol:

I've ordered a 500GB SSD for my OS and everything non FSX and 250GB for all FSX related stuff, and it will be plenty.

I have WIN-7 Pro-64, multiple other applications, as well as FSX with 50-60 high-quality add-on sceneries + REX OD, AS2012, ASN, PMDG MD-11, NGX and 777 (+ lots of repaints) all on a 512GB Crucial M4 and still have 192GB free. I will run out of money accumulating FSX add-ons long before that SSD is filled to capacity. :biggrin:  Once a week I do a bootable clone backup to a 600GB WD Velociraptor. Takes about 2 hours with EaseToDo.

With an SSD boot drive I don't believe it's necessary to have FSX on a separate disk. I've never experienced any slow-downs, stutters or any other issues having FSX on the boot drive. However I do have a 2TB WD Caviar Black as my default download location and also use it to store backups of all my installers. I wanted to avoid frequent and unnecessary writes and erases to the SSD. All in all this set-up has worked really well for me.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

I have WIN-7 Pro-64, multiple other applications, as well as FSX with 50-60 high-quality add-on sceneries + REX OD, AS2012, ASN, PMDG MD-11, NGX and 777 (+ lots of repaints) all on a 512GB Crucial M4 and still have 192GB free. I will run out of money accumulating FSX add-ons long before that SSD is filled to capacity. :biggrin: Once a week I do a bootable clone backup to a 600GB WD Velociraptor. Takes about 2 hours with EaseToDo.

With an SSD boot drive I don't believe it's necessary to have FSX on a separate disk. I've never experienced any slow-downs, stutters or any other issues having FSX on the boot drive. However I do have a 2TB WD Caviar Black as my default download location and also use it to store backups of all my installers. I wanted to avoid frequent and unnecessary writes and erases to the SSD. All in all this set-up has worked really well for me.

I have to agree now.  I put FSX with almost all of my addons (still have a few to go) on my Win7 drive and still have tons of room left.  My setup will be fairly similar to yours in regards to disk management when it's all done.  P3D will go on the second SSD.  I'll do backups to my 1TB WD.  Probably should have gotten a 2TB...I'll do that in time.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Status update:  about 95% of the sim environment is done.  I am getting some jaggies...surprising...I've been able to get them down but not gone...my 560Ti was better.  ENB, EZDOC, all of my Orbx including NorCal (new...nice).  Still have some custom scenery, Megascenery X SoCal, Accufeel, REX and ActiveSkyNext to install.  Framerates are smooth and, except for Seattle, stay at 30 with not a bit of overclocking.  Still making minor tweaks.  The only airplane I have completely configured is the Turbine Duke.  Flight1 Mustang will be next then, probably, the Carenado C337.  The jaggies are puzzling. 

Wanda's upstairs making me a sandwich.

I should add that my VRInsight MCP Combo seems to work better on this computer than my old one...thank god.  I also got the Saitek Combat pedals to replace my old, old Goflight pedals (shed a little tear there).  I had some worries but, have to say, that the Saitek pedals are surprisingly nice!  Metal construction and feel eerily real.

Gregg Seipp

Well, I was getting worried there for a bit...seems like everyone is occupied with some 'other' sim platform (can't say I blame anyone there).  But, I wanted to get FSX rock solid on this new platform before thinking about adding P3D.  Anyway, by looking at other threads and trying differerent things, I think I've got it worked out well enough.  I changed my AA Transparency settings to 8X SGSS (still using AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERSAMPLE_4K_FOSGAMMA).  Also turned off the FSX frame limiter and used the NI one set to 30, triple buffering and max 3 prerendered frames.  The jaggies are very low (not perfect but pretty good), lights in the distance are clear, everything is very, very smooth.  Took a flight from KSFO up past Napa holding 30 frames plus.  Still no overclocking.  Still not convinced that overclocking is worth it.

Gregg Seipp

With FSX you definitely get a performance boost with Overclocking. The difference between 3.5ghz and 4.5ghz will be very obvious but from 4.5 to 4.7 is barely noticeable. What I am hearing about P3D V2.2 is that OCing your CPU is not as critical as having a powerful graphics card. So much of the rendering work with P3D V2.X now has been transferred to the GPU that it is the bottle neck now, not the CPU. SLI will make a big difference

once it is fully supported and perhaps make OCing the CPU worthwhile again. 

If you switch to P3D V2.2 you could just forget about all the tweaking :smile:

Gregg... have you tried unlimited frame rate? No internal, and no external limiter.

Has been revelation for me, big increase in frame rate and zero stutters.

Worth a try.

With FSX you definitely get a performance boost with Overclocking. The difference between 3.5ghz and 4.5ghz will be very obvious but from 4.5 to 4.7 is barely noticeable.

I've heard that going from, say, 3.5 to 4.0 would give about a 10% increase...10% more for 4.0 to 4.5.  So, if I'm getting 30 fps now, I'd be able to get as high as 36 (or move sliders further right).  Sound true?

If you switch to P3D V2.2 you could just forget about all the tweaking :smile:

Definitely looking forward to that and all the new features in P3D.  I'm just waiting for airplanes at this point.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

I've heard that going from, say, 3.5 to 4.0 would give about a 10% increase...10% more for 4.0 to 4.5. So, if I'm getting 30 fps now, I'd be able to get as high as 36 (or move sliders further right). Sound true?

3.5 to 4 is 14%, so 30 would be 34.2 frames per second.

3.5 to 4.55 would be 30%, so 30 would be 39 frames per second.

I find it disturbing that with FSX being on the market for nearly 8 years the newest most powerful PCs still struggle with it.

I'm not sure they struggle with it, mine certainly doesn't. The issue I would say is greed.

By that I mean the obsession with hyper detailed add-on scenery. People get so upset when their VAS is high, and they keep getting OOM's, but they still aren't prepared to knock the sliders back a tad, and be sensible with scenery add-on's.

I'm afraid we can't have our cake and eat it. FSX has it's limits, and we have to work within those limits.

Personally. I fly around with very high frame rate, and no limiter at all, and have a great time.