Sign in to follow this  
spilok

My annual "confession" to my fellow FSX friends!

I don't have the T7 - I decided against it because it's less of a BBJ than the NG.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Been playing FS since about 2002. My usual routine is about like this --- QW 757 in *lite* mode - GPS Direct VFR Plan - Engines running start - Heading Hold On - Altitude Hold On - wheels up/flaps up - Speed Hold On - switch NAV to GPS - 150mi out file IFR - switch back to NAV - 50ft agl disengage AP - taxi to first open gate - kill engines - thanks for flying the friendly skies! That's *real* enough for me! B)

Like Stan, I just can't get motivated to learn the advanced stuff, even though I bought Capt. Mike' Ray's 737 book a couple years ago!

I will also admit that I still didn't learned to use FMC, after 6 months of thinking it's about time to start using it like a pro. But I still think it's a pain in the a$$, can't find a proper reason to make me learn it. Can't find FMC interesting at all. I love to fly using defualt flight plans, and capture the localizer on final, then land manual, soooo rewarding. Simply, I can't find a reason why should I use FMC for flightplanning, because I have all important information about my flight via default flight plan and some addons - ETC, winds aloft, climb/descent rate, everything. Also, learning complete procedure is very tiem demanding, and on top of all you must remember all that stuff... which means you msut fly with all that mumbo jumbo numerous times to use it without manuals and tutorials.

In short, I never wanted to make a science from flight simming, just to enjoy flying and some basic procedures, becasue they are mandatory (checklists, ATC, ILS, etc).

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I concur that the NGX-tutorial is great if you want to start learning FMC's

Stan,

I would have to agree with the above quote. The PMDG tutorial is very well done and gives you step by step on how the thing works and how to set it up.  Easier than you might think. Personally, I found it's automation takes a lot out of what makes FS fun for me. It becomes more about data input than flying using the FMC. But, there are many different modes you can use that take away degrees of automation, depending on what you want to do. Glad I learned it in the context of procedural IFR flying (on Vatsim), but much rather prefer flying vintage tubeliners VOR to VOR. Or GA with Orbyx scenery at low altitude. Worth checking into though, at the very least to satisfy what ever curiosity you may have. When you hop aboard a real 737-800, it's fun to knowledge of what the crew is doing in the cockpit. Makes great dinner conversation as well :lol:

All the different styles of flying is what makes FS entertaining and educational.

I feel compelled though, to confess.  What in the h_ _ _  is wrong with me?

Nothing wrong with you as far as I can tell, although if you want to enjoy your flying more I'd say just turn off that GPS!

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

FMS can be more efficient for route entries and other engine parameters but you can still use an FMS and fly VOR airways or non precision approaches etc.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I went years, I mean years of flightsimming, without learning to use the radios!  Now that's embarrassing.

It all changed when I got MCE.

Randall

FMC = Flight Management Computer.    That's what Google says!  I also hear all of you about what's the sense in learning this technique.   SIMPLE...I'm unable to download some great planes, both commercial and business jets (Citation) if they don't have the default GPS.  I want to be able to buy these planes and enjoy them....BUT, if the FMC or FMS is required to use them for a long flight, I'm at a disadvantage.  Am I right in this thinking?

Stan

OK....I agree with the video...BUT, what does an FSX flyer do when the planes only use the FMC (FMS) as the autopilot?  How can you fly long distances without it?

Stan

Stan,

The FMC is a computer that gets information from you to calculate optimal information that is used by other components, typically the autopilot to control side-to-side (lateral) and vertical navigation.  It also helps the crew handle the complexity of such flights while increasing safety of flight.  When I fly as PIC (passenger in coach) on a real airplane, I'm sure that when the Captain says "... we'll have you there in 20 minutes..." he doesn't take out his E6B and performs time/distance calculations.  He just glances at the "progress" page on his FMC.  I'm sure you'll have lots of fun learning how to input the information, read what it puts outs, and enjoy the added sense of realism flying an airliner.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Name one aircraft that MUST have an FMS to get from A to B...... I doubt it can be done.  Don't confuse basic autopilot fuction with FMC.  As stated in the video, consider there to be 3 levels.  Hands on controls, hands on dials and switches (heading/alt/speed hold) and fully automated.  The second level is really nothing more than using standard AP features.  If your going to fly funky departures, routes and arrivals... you'll be busier.

My instrument CFI would say to me as I got ground down by the load, "Are you a pilot or are you a passenger?".  Fly the plane first.

Don't feel bad about it.  In fact, embrace it.  Lack of knowledge and experience are simply an opportunity to learn and do more.

Almost every airplane can be flown without using the FMC. The 737 NGX still has basic navigation radio's and course selectors (in the 777 you will have to use the FMC to set these, but only one page of it).

The point I'm trying to make is: do you have to use the FMC to fly the 737? No. You can still do basic VOR-VOR navigation or even fly a DCT from one airfield to the other.

For me however, part of the fun is setting up the plane and the FMC and try to mimic (what I percieve to be) real world operations.

If you want to learn how to work with an FMC, might I also suggest the following Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/FSXpilot767

I suppose I'm maybe the only one who think that simulation of COMPLETE real world operations is not entertaining as medium level simulation (my level). Programming the FMC, more complicated flight planning, SIDs and STARs, are simply not my cup of tea. I strongly believe that three ingredients could bring down entertaining factor by a notch, especially FMC. SIDs and STARs are cool, but I love to get vectored by ATC to intercept the localiser, because ATC is huge part of immersion, at least for me. 

So, for some people, and in some cases, pushing the simulation to the max doesn't mean it should be also more entertaining and satisfying.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I am going to sit down one day and work my way through the 737NGX tutorials. I would love to know what all of those switches and knobs on the NGX panel are for :smile: At the moment, I am enjoying myself just hand flying the plane in the pattern at various international airports. Those guys in the control tower must be saints, because they never chastise me for messing about in controlled airspace, or getting in the way of another plane on final approach. Bless their little cotton socks :lol:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png