Sign in to follow this  
spilok

My annual "confession" to my fellow FSX friends!

I am so embarrassed, and ashamed.  To this day....and I've been flight simming for 15 or more years....I HAVE NOT LEARNED HOW TO USE AN FMC!  Why?  I don't know.  I'm lazy when it comes to this.  I'm sure I could learn it and enjoy some of the fantastic aircraft that's available; however, I fly GA and passenger aircraft where I could use the default GPS. 

I promise (again) that I will take some time this Summer to take a tutorial and try to learn the Sids and the Stars and the wonderful things this autopilot can do. 

I feel compelled though, to confess.  What in the h_ _ _  is wrong with me?

Stan

ps.  Whew!  Now I feel better.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Stan

When you get round to learning the FMC this summer feel free to PM me with any questions

I'd recommend (if you have it) the PMDG NGX and its accompanying tutorials. Tutorial 1 is well done and for GA guys like us, all we need to know. The NGX can do a lot more but I done really care for my style of flying. Tutorial 2 has more advanced stuff.

What's an FMC? :unsure:

Ford Motor Corporation??  Beats me, I've never used one! :wacko: :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Bloody hell! I've spent all my life no knowing that! :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure it stands for Ford Motor Credit.........  :unsure:  :ph34r:

Ron's humour still top-notch. :lol:

Pity the spelling ain't! :(

I can't spell, so I never spotted this terrible flaw in your personality.

Do yourself a favor and buy the PMDG 777 or 737 and learn the best way!

I've crashed those. Recently after playing with the 777 a bit, I found I could take high altitude wind into consideration; didn't make much difference after that Curry.

• Upvote 1

Why must one learn to use an FMC? Many crashes in recent history boil down to one common set of factors... Over reliance on technology and a lack of good old stick and rudder skills.

We don't go on YouTube to watch Trip7 captains do auto lands. We got there to watch them crab a jumbo in at a 45 and stick it on centerline like a boss with one ferocious kick of the rudder.

Yea, me too. I have been eyeballing the Majestic q400 along with the training offered by a 3rd party .. Airline2Sim or something like that. 

Maybe it is an age thing and the learning curve that scares me. I too should take a different direction on my flying skills just to see what this FMC stuff is all about. 

Tubing, Fly the wire, FMC, Vector me Victor. Anyway, I may have to give it a try.

Bob

Ya but a true artform comes when one HAS those stick and rudder skills AND the knowledge, ability, capability, to fly with either, to the same ATP standard, WHILE knowing which of the levels of automation is appropriate!   ^_^

The Children of Magenta is a must watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0rYX-Jn6o8

• Upvote 4

I have never thought of AVSIM as being a Confessional. Premier resource, etc. etc., but Confessional, no. And, I guess that forces all of us into little funky collars with a strip of white showing.

I will have to add that to our site's meta tag description for the search engines.... "first aviation simulation related confessional - step right in and bare your soul!"... :Big Grin:

An FMC is really a nice piece of equipment but can really make an Auto Pilot Junkie out of the finest pilots.  Over in the GA Bizjet arena, most of us, while having fully capable FMC equipment make a point not to let the FMC handle almost the entire flight like as they mandate in the airlines.  Most of us will hand fly to cruise altitude and hand fly down, we also will hand fly approaches every so often to keep the "feel" of the aircraft fresh.

If you simply take your time and learn it feature by feature, you'll find a new aspect to I'm pretty sure you will find fascinating Stan. 

I have never thought of AVSIM as being a Confessional.

Where is Father Bill.  I need to confess that I have been thinking about experimenting with FlightGear. :Devil: 

I was in exactly the same boat, having come up from older FS versions that didn't have an FMC. It seemed so complicated and, well, daunting, that I didn't know where to start. My first "FMC" flight was with the PMDG 737 and Tutorial 1 and I am so glad I did it. Of course you don't want to be using an FMC all the time but it's a huge part of aviation and it is really cool. And a great sense of satisfaction when you complete your first one. Especially after waiting this long!!

Stan,

Funny you mention that, I'm in the same boat! I have been simming since MSFS V1.0, and have a PPL since 1976, but have never taken the time to learn the FMS that is availabe in the newer aircraft. I fly mostly GA because that is what I enjoy the most, but working my way up to learning the FMS....Have the QW 146 and the PMDG 737 so I'm going to give it a shot!......along with VATSIM. Not that the FMS is that difficult, just hard to get away from my favorite GA aircraft.....yikes!

Cheers

Martin

My confession: I start my flights with the engines running* because I'm too lazy to start from C&D.

* Except on the NGX where I actually figured it out. No clue on the T7.

My confession: I start my flights with the engines running* because I'm too lazy to start from C&D.

* Except on the NGX where I actually figured it out. No clue on the T7.

That is not too far gone.  Now, if you said you started with engines runing ON THE ACTIVE RUNWAY well then there would be no hope.   :lol:   Not that I do that or anything of course.

The Children of Magenta is a must watch...

"What's it doing now?" lol, classic.