Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

A2A Cessna 172?

Considering picking this up as a "starter" aircraft. I already fly the T7 like a nutter, but it's good to get away from the magenta line from time to time..

Aamir Thacker

C172 is a 'no brainer', or a 'must have', take your pick. Katana? The hard core maintenance and repair scenarios pall after a while but you can fly a 'new' plane every trip but it must still be flown with consideration to engine airframe etc.

Like Ray, I also forgot I had it on my HDD. Flew it the other evening, still a nice kite.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Hmmm...what do folks recommend between the Katana and the A2A C172?

I have both as well, I currently fly the Diamond DA40 (real world) so i thought I would pick up the katana just to be in the mind frame. It's a great plane, but sad to say I got bored very quickly. Hand flying sims in my setup is very challenging. That was one of the main reasons I pick up the ASA C172 (auto pilot). Again, great plane, but again got bored very quick.  I like the more TAA aircraft's. So the C172 gave me the walk around/maintenance frame of mind but I was losing the Garmin 1000 frame of mind. Cannot wait until someone produces both of these for our simming pleasure.

So currently I fly in the Sim the Cirrus SR22, because I'm going for my high performance endorsement, and high altitude, and to be checked out in both the SR20 and SR22.

Hope this helps,

Ray

A2A's initial PA28 release will be a 1960s era Cherokee 180.  I believe they intend to release another variant or two...ie Cherokee 235 at a later date.

Regarding the A2A 172, it is slow, but it is a 172....and it is one of the most in depth simulated GA planes you can buy right now.  Accu Sim makes you think like a pilot, it makes you monitor your flying habits and be mindful of ALL aircraft systems as it relates to rate wear and tear of the plane.

You can have both extremes of speed with from A2A, from the Cub to a P-51.  The Civil P-51 is great, gives you the thrill and challenge of flying a warbird combined with the modern nav equipment.  It will compete with some bizjets when it comes to performance.  That and the sound of a Packard Merlin beats the sound of those little hair dryer jet engines IMHO :lol: 

Cheers

TJ 

I picked it up this afternoon and got it tuned up with my hardware.  Nice Linda module!  It's been a long time since I've flown a RW Cessna.  Flight model seems okay.(not great like Bernt Stolle's C182 and C337).  Seems a bit easy...perhaps, too easy to land and take off.  Wants to leap off the runway with little effort and settle too fast.  In Stolle's models the airplanes feel weighty and have momentum.  This doesn't have that feel.  Having said that, the numbers are pretty close to right. 1700 RPM and increasing notches of flaps give you 85-75 and 65 knots.  Also, almost no P-factor which is something I was hoping for in a trainer for slow-flight and power-on stalls but, there never is, is there.  Nuts.  

In terms of the cockpit, great sounds, period.  Wow.  Are the flaps really that quiet on the R model?  They weren't when I was flying and having that comfort of hearing them when the lever is out of view is really nice since you can't feel the deceleration either.  It'd be nice to have some tiny indication that they were working.  Also, I wish the Big 6 weren't so clean and had reflective 'glass' over them.  It's got a nicer cockpit than the default Cessna and the gauges are smooth, thank god, but it could use some personality. Having said all that. I do love that everything works, really works, and that it has a decent autopilot.  Nice to get an engine cut-off for fouled plug.  (Sneaky that the engine had no oil in it when I bought it.)  Things bust in the RW all the time so that little bit of reality is good.  Also, panel lights and cockpit lights with a real dimmer.Cool.  And a working timer.  (The little things really matter.)  It is fun to fly (once it's in the air) and does bring back memories.  It should be a nice little airplane for practice instrument approaches.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Update:  I replaced the air file from this aircraft with the C172 air file from the Avsim library and it feels a great deal nicer.  Everything seems to be still operational:  I fouled my plugs while I was sitting on the ground at idle. 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I love the A2A C172 ... I have a flap failure on approach, as soon as I deployed and it really woke me up as I tried to figure out why the aircraft was behaving so strange.  Was able to land it, but when I parked and did the maintenance hanger I got told off for NOT doing my pre-flight check.  What a great experience and learning lesson for me.

Cheers, Rob.

I love the A2A C172 ... I have a flap failure on approach, as soon as I deployed and it really woke me up as I tried to figure out why the aircraft was behaving so strange. Was able to land it, but when I parked and did the maintenance hanger I got told off for NOT doing my pre-flight check. What a great experience and learning lesson for me.

Cheers, Rob.

Woh...I haven't read through the manual yet to see what other kinds of failures I could get.  I'd, honestly, forgotten how fun a simple airplane could be...you just fly.  Forget all the complex buttons and settings (well, there are some) and just go be up there.  

Gregg Seipp

Additional some help;

Avionics video tutorials;

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=37093

Avionics manuals and what not;

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=35579

As for the character of the cockpit, unfortunately it is what it is. A factory 172R in standard albeit boring factory colors. However you can always jazz it up, as many repaints from the community come with a wide variety of cockpits also. Best to have a wonder through our forums and threads like this;

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=36611

Theres a lot to take in, and lots to experience, any issues or wants/needs, or any hints and tips needed just post on the forums

cheers and happy flying,

Lewis

Lewis - A2A Simulations

Hello Greg,

please note the replacement of the FD will invalidate the aircraft and the realism of the modeled 172R. You will also want to make sure you have the latest update which includes a bunch of new features here;

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38314

thanks,

Lewis

Hi Lewis,

I just bought and downloaded it yesterday.  Do I need to get the updates? 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

Hello Greg,

yes you will want to run the latest core update. As of the time of this post that is Accu-sim core update 1.6, the link is in my previous post.

As a note 1.7 is currently in beta testing and will no doubt be released the same time of the Cherokee, its going to add even more to the Accu-sim C172 Trainer. I'll make sure I post about the core update release here so people know about it.

cheers,

Lewis

Lewis - A2A Simulations

Additional some help;

Avionics video tutorials;

http://www.a2asimula...p?f=107&t=37093

Avionics manuals and what not;

http://www.a2asimula...p?f=107&t=35579

As for the character of the cockpit, unfortunately it is what it is. A factory 172R in standard albeit boring factory colors. However you can always jazz it up, as many repaints from the community come with a wide variety of cockpits also. Best to have a wonder through our forums and threads like this;

http://www.a2asimula...p?f=107&t=36611

Theres a lot to take in, and lots to experience, any issues or wants/needs, or any hints and tips needed just post on the forums

cheers and happy flying,

Lewis

Thank you.  I'll review them and sign up for the forums.

Gregg Seipp

I'll make sure I post about the core update release here so people know about it.

Thanks Lewis!

Cheers, Rob.

Enjoy the 172 Gregg.  You can either fly a factory fresh 172 or press a button and the 172 becomes a worn out clunker...which will encourage you to a thorough preflight  B)   You can expect the upcomming Cherokee to have all the same features, probably even a few more goodies Scott and team have come up with.

Enjoy the A2A forum, you'll find lots of helpful people there.  If there is a repaint you want, someone will likely paint it for you if it doesn't exist already.

Cheers

TJ