Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

My New observations in P3D

FYI Guys - I have found that lens flare is causing stutters - shut it off and see the difference

1024 res textures dont use any higher - lock 30fps in P3D is best when it comes to the most consistent fps - 45 is not bad but not as good as 30 - this is with a basic nvidia profile which can be had in Adi's sweet setup files - unlimited is junk - fps all over the place and not productive

Vysnc on - triple buffering should be off in P3D menu or it will kill your fps at least on my asus 21560 x 1440

Turn on tessellation on the first menu but in the scenery menu shut it off please - P3D is just not there yet at least with ftx global vector - mesh and lanclass added - heading towards major hubs for now is a fps killer 

This is something I have noticed lately after spend much time on it as I have been having a ripple effect while panning in the outside view - not vc view which has been driving me crazy - it is about 85% better after turning of lens flare

Now the new g-sync monitors should fix a lot of these issues and the new updates from LM will eventually end all of this tweaking nonsense - I would bet on it

Shut off HDR also

A major observation which I believe may not be noticed but I have found that if you play with the settings in P3D change settings pertaining the graphic resolution - fps slider - almost any of the settings in the menus system P3D starts to loose it and you need to restart it - you think your making bad changes but the program is just running out of gas and the only way to bring it back to life is to restart the program now I have never seen this in fsx but it sure is an issue in P3D which in time will be fixed no doubt

Rich Sennett

Turn on tessellation on the first menu but in the scenery menu shut it off please - P3D is just not there yet at least with ftx global vector - mesh and lanclass added - heading towards major hubs for now is a fps killer 

What's the benefit of switching on tessellation but not using it?

Spirit

Good question. I have a very modest rig with tessellation set to Max but scenery sliders turned to half way. No stutters, have ditched NI and have frames set to 26.

What's the benefit of switching on tessellation but not using it?SPIRIT 

It was killing my fps - I am not a fps watcher but with P3D it is helping me yo sort out the best settings - also my terrain textures were starting to blur with it on and off they were fine

Good question. I have a very modest rig with tessellation set to Max but scenery sliders turned to half way

I do not want to lower my sliders that much Will - i would rather shut down  tessellation 

Going to dump ni - to see the difference at the stage I am at but - earlier ni seems better - but will re-visit this option again

Rich Sennett

I have not systematically tested this, but it is my feeling that every word of the bold red part of the top post is true and deserves to be written in exactly that font style.

I believe there is some config line that forces a complete shader recompile whenever the settings are changed. Maybe this could work around the issue?

Sorry for not having tested that, but I actually manage to spend my P3D time flying instead of tweaking - something I could not always say about FSX.

What's the benefit of switching on tessellation but not using it?

Putting the slider full left doesn't turn it off...just reduces it to low.  Not sure about it yet but it does seem that low and medium work better for me than high.

it is about 85% better after turning of lens flare

I never understood why people would use lens flare.  Are they simulating flying looking through a camera?  LOL.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

"Putting the slider full left doesn't turn it off...just reduces it to low.  Not sure about it yet but it does seem that low and medium work better for me than high."

Good to know Gregg - but I think it was better with the main tessellation switch left on worked better - have to check it out again and also revert back to nvidia control panel see how that works

Rich Sennett

FYI Guys - I have found that lens flare is causing stutters - shut it off and see the difference

Very weird, FSX had no problems with this. You should report that to Lockheed Martin.

"Very weird, FSX had no problems with this. You should report that to Lockheed Martin."

Will do Sir  :)

Rich Sennett

"I have no stuttering. Every PC is different. "

What do you have loaded for scenery such as FTX Global - Vector - REX - mesh - landclass - then answer

Rich Sennett

Richard,

Basically turn off or down everything until you essentially have a vanilla version of FSX (just renamed to P3D).     What you're finding out is that P3D will always find a way to bite you somehow, no matter what.      Feel free to spend thousands on a new PC to run it (sounds like you already have), but be prepar3d (see what I just did with that) to be disappointed.     Welcome to the Microsoft Development Team culture reborn from the ashes.     :mad:

You WILL have stuttering now and forever (as you're painfully finding out), no matter how many times LM updates this ongoing disaster.     This until LM kills the project altogether (inevitable) and hardware advances finally get to the point where sheer horsepower can overcome incompetently programmed code.      This is what we have now with FSX.     :mellow:

Also, keep in mind that all of the visual miracles implemented by the latest rendition of Prepar3d were already long ago incorporated into competing platforms like X-Plane, only on a much grander scale.     LM gives you the eye candy you've always wanted, but you will ALWAYS pay the price in performance hits.     Not so with X-Plane.      

I urge everyone to go back to FSX and use it with DX10 instead of propagating collective frustration with Prepar3d.    

Aaron I hear where you coming from but I now have an excellent running sim and very very happy with the results

My problem was not running windows aero go figure I always shut that off to free up the pc but turning it on was the magic bullet for me, could not believe the difference -

Not sure if most know this but it seems that LM has developed it around the fact that most users will probably have aero on I guess - its incredible now,  I will never go back only forward and I will bet the farm most others in the future will also make the switch, thank you for your thoughts and noted.

Rich Sennett

Boy I don't.  I have much superior performance in atmospheric rendering, video quality & freedom from stuttering in P3D V2.2 than anything previous to it, including FSX.  I'm happy to try XPlane again but with maybe the prior version or one back I wasn't impressed at all.  But it was just the demo and I didn't spend a lot of time trying to make it work.   Maybe it's time to take another look.  One of the big draws for me for P3D and of course FSX is the vast amount of quality scenery & aircraft out there, the airports, everything.  And it does run exceedingly well on my hardware.  There are serious issues w/ a couple areas like the new cloud shadow rendering--it's just not ready for prime time.  But I'm guessing a different coding approach or driver revision might overcome the current processing burden cloud shadow rendering does in certain situations--mostly cloud density & time of day related.  Once that's solved and a few tiny niggles it will really be strong as a total simulator, sans 64-bit which so far may not be directly hurting me.  I always have way ample free VAS by flight's end so there is still quite a bit of headroom to work within.  Perhaps when LM decides to make the jump to 64-bit they will also decide to re-engineer the entire simulator.   Might as well I'm sure by now they have learned a lot about how to maybe approach building a new simulator.  They have a nice template to go off of in terms of what it takes to make the simulator attractive to more users, making a strong core product, robust SDK's for the support community and away they go.  Only problem is--their training focus.   What's compelling now about XPlane 64 from a user experience standpoint?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Aaron I hear where you coming from but I now have an excellent running sim and very very happy with the results

My problem was not running windows aero go figure I always shut that off to free up the pc but turning it on was the magic bullet for me, could not believe the difference -

Not sure if most know this but it seems that LM has developed it around the fact that most users will probably have aero on I guess - its incredible now,  I will never go back only forward and I will bet the farm most others in the future will also make the switch, thank you for your thoughts and noted.

Glad you got things to work out well after turning on Aero.  This is something that was stated back in the initial 2.0 days, but new users to P3D might miss that.  Thanks for bringing it up again so new users would have that knowledge.

Richard,

Basically turn off or down everything until you essentially have a vanilla version of FSX (just renamed to P3D).     What you're finding out is that P3D will always find a way to bite you somehow, no matter what.      Feel free to spend thousands on a new PC to run it (sounds like you already have), but be prepar3d (see what I just did with that) to be disappointed.     Welcome to the Microsoft Development Team culture reborn from the ashes.     :mad:

You WILL have stuttering now and forever (as you're painfully finding out), no matter how many times LM updates this ongoing disaster.     This until LM kills the project altogether (inevitable) and hardware advances finally get to the point where sheer horsepower can overcome incompetently programmed code.      This is what we have now with FSX.     :mellow:

Also, keep in mind that all of the visual miracles implemented by the latest rendition of Prepar3d were already long ago incorporated into competing platforms like X-Plane, only on a much grander scale.     LM gives you the eye candy you've always wanted, but you will ALWAYS pay the price in performance hits.     Not so with X-Plane.      

I urge everyone to go back to FSX and use it with DX10 instead of propagating collective frustration with Prepar3d.    

Sarcasm On

Oh great everybody.   :Party:    Aaron and his cat are back to let all of us P3D users know how bad of an experience we are having with P3D.  I just had a most glorious flight in the land of Orbx PNW with REX.  It sure seemed smooth to me but I must have not looked closely enough to notice my flight was stuttery instead of buttery.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations