Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

My New observations in P3D

Richard,

Basically turn off or down everything until you essentially have a vanilla version of FSX (just renamed to P3D).     What you're finding out is that P3D will always find a way to bite you somehow, no matter what.      Feel free to spend thousands on a new PC to run it (sounds like you already have), but be prepar3d (see what I just did with that) to be disappointed.     Welcome to the Microsoft Development Team culture reborn from the ashes.     :mad:

You WILL have stuttering now and forever (as you're painfully finding out), no matter how many times LM updates this ongoing disaster.     This until LM kills the project altogether (inevitable) and hardware advances finally get to the point where sheer horsepower can overcome incompetently programmed code.      This is what we have now with FSX.     :mellow:

Also, keep in mind that all of the visual miracles implemented by the latest rendition of Prepar3d were already long ago incorporated into competing platforms like X-Plane, only on a much grander scale.     LM gives you the eye candy you've always wanted, but you will ALWAYS pay the price in performance hits.     Not so with X-Plane.      

I urge everyone to go back to FSX and use it with DX10 instead of propagating collective frustration with Prepar3d.    

So you are saying that future patches will never fix the stutters in Prepar3D, that Lockheed Martin will kill the project eventually (even though they have plans for a 64-bit version) and that you don't get a performance hit when you turn on shadows and HDR lighting in X-Plane?

Setting aside one post (-) the overall community experiences with P3D are good to a point that it begins to make sense to erase FSX. My system is very modest and cloud shading of the ground and the airplane make it unusable. But so what, the next step in CPU and video cards is a really big one. I have faith (hmmmm) that LM will tune things up to give SOME improvement. Beyond that it will be necessary to spend several hundred dollars. 

I find these proclamations of success (or failure) to be limited in their applicability. If your system is identical to the the one with the improvements you will have success. However, only some changes , if any, will work on most systems. I have seen the one in red and have been faked out by it. The others need more "juice" from my wallet.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Richard,

Basically turn off or down everything until you essentially have a vanilla version of FSX (just renamed to P3D).     What you're finding out is that P3D will always find a way to bite you somehow, no matter what.      Feel free to spend thousands on a new PC to run it (sounds like you already have), but be prepar3d (see what I just did with that) to be disappointed.     Welcome to the Microsoft Development Team culture reborn from the ashes.     :mad:

You WILL have stuttering now and forever (as you're painfully finding out), no matter how many times LM updates this ongoing disaster.     This until LM kills the project altogether (inevitable) and hardware advances finally get to the point where sheer horsepower can overcome incompetently programmed code.      This is what we have now with FSX.     :mellow:

Also, keep in mind that all of the visual miracles implemented by the latest rendition of Prepar3d were already long ago incorporated into competing platforms like X-Plane, only on a much grander scale.     LM gives you the eye candy you've always wanted, but you will ALWAYS pay the price in performance hits.     Not so with X-Plane.      

I urge everyone to go back to FSX and use it with DX10 instead of propagating collective frustration with Prepar3d.    

Trollolololol.....

Hello Austin, nice of you to drop by.

how's the Ai and ATC coming along in 10.3 ?

My system is very modest and cloud shading of the ground and the airplane make it unusable.

I think the approach used for cloud shadowing will have to change as it's not going to be useable for a quite a while no matter what hardware you're on now and in the next few years in terms of hardware changes, I predict--it's just crazy inefficient.  Fortunately limited cloud shadowing is fine even w/ today's high end hardware.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

He looks like a Bond Villain with that cat!  :lol:

Just be warned this is no ordinary cat, it's a Laser Cat.     I've already devised a plan to drop him down one of the ventilation shafts at Lockheed Martin headquarters, upon which he has specific instructions to seek out the Prepar3d development team (all two of them), and poop on their keyboards.      Then, and only then, will I have my revenge.     

As for the rest of you P3D slaves, good luck in heavy clouds or when you dare use the advanced visual features and/or enough AA to match what we now have in FSX without the massive performance hits.        You will stutter and I will laugh uncontrollably.     

Also, FYI, Laser Cat knows where you all live.   

the Prepar3d development team (all two of them)

Where do you get that from? Do you seriously think the Prepar3D development team consists of just two people?

"I have no stuttering. Every PC is different. "

What do you have loaded for scenery such as FTX Global - Vector - REX - mesh - landclass - then answer

All except Vector :)

Ha ha, trust me, this is the LAST person on Earth Austin would want representing XP10.3x -- Aaron still hasn't figured it out yet -- his continued posts of ignorance towards P3D only expose signs of desperation -- certainly doesn't help sell more XP10 product nor does it get 3rd party interest - it only makes 3rd party wonder why the desperation exists.

But I guess Aaron could really be Borg an we are all one and everything must be assimilated  :lol: -- anyway, I'm sure Aaron's posts will eventually stop when the light bulb goes on ... in the meantime ... we endure the continued trolling.

Cheers, Rob.

I used to check out AVSIM daily. Then a couple times a week. Now maybe once a week and perhaps no more. Trolls, people who complain about prices, people who complain about features or a lack thereof on programming that honest people spent a great deal of time working on so that we can have a hobby have tainted this site. I'm tired of it.

James McLees

This until LM kills the project altogether (inevitable) and hardware advances finally get to the point where sheer horsepower can overcome incompetently programmed code. This is what we have now with FSX.

Your kidding right? FSX works fine the way Microsoft intended it to be used. No one envisioned it running the sophisticated add ons that it does today or on the various software/hardware configurations that are now available.

Cheers

Steve Hall

how's the Ai and ATC coming along in 10.3 ?

Now...that was funny!

@Rob, (pretend race car driver guy),  :rolleyes:

I promise I'm not desperate, friend.    Frustrated that LM is impeding progress toward a totally new platform - yes.      Only when the plug is officially pulled on P3D will this start to happen.     We had hope when Microsoft summarily fired the entire Flight Simulator team (as they should have), but LM dug through the trash and tried to make a buck off of the tattered remnants of ESP.   

Guess what though?    LM's commercial sales of P3D are predictably abysmal (a good thing).     This is why Prepar3d developers are now privately making such broad overtures toward the entertainment sector which they so publicly disassociate themselves from.     Remember that P3D is not licensed for entertainment use, but boy oh boy are LM suddenly rushing to Orbx, Just Flight, Carenado, et. al., to fill the void in their content.     Sort of seems like a conflict of interest and in direct violation of their ESP license from Microsoft (hello legal woes), but when sales are close to non-existent otherwise....

This is why Prepar3d is ultimately doomed (a good thing).      But the faster it goes away, the faster a new platform will emerge, and a totally new platform coded from the ground up will lay to rest all of the legacy flaws in performance that have always and will always plague anything with the same DNA as FSX.        End of story.   

@Rob, (pretend race car driver guy),  :rolleyes:

I promise I'm not desperate, friend.    Frustrated that LM is impeding progress toward a totally new platform - yes.      Only when the plug is officially pulled on P3D will this start to happen.     We had hope when Microsoft summarily fired the entire Flight Simulator team (as they should have), but LM dug through the trash and tried to make a buck off of the tattered remnants of ESP.   

Guess what though?    LM's commercial sales of P3D are predictably abysmal (a good thing).     This is why Prepar3d developers are now privately making such broad overtures toward the entertainment sector which they so publicly disassociate themselves from.     Remember that P3D is not licensed for entertainment use, but boy oh boy are LM suddenly rushing to Orbx, Just Flight, Carenado, et. al., to fill the void in their content.     Sort of seems like a conflict of interest and in direct violation of their ESP license from Microsoft (hello legal woes), but when sales are close to non-existent otherwise....

This is why Prepar3d is ultimately doomed (a good thing).      But the faster it goes away, the faster a new platform will emerge, and a totally new platform coded from the ground up will lay to rest all of the legacy flaws in performance that have always and will always plague anything with the same DNA as FSX.        End of story.   

A glass cracked and half full....interesting.

I doubt LM would release their commercial sales figures so any talk of this is simple baseless rumour.

I for one am glad someone bought the Microsoft ESP and at least is trying to do something with it. It is the very first step forward we have had to the Microsoft platform, and am grateful LM looked into it. As for third party developers, LM is not looking to fill the void in content per se, but they have opened the code to allow third party developers greater freedom for integration. I dare say you own third party aircraft and scenery, correct?  Then why would this be a bad thing at all? We saw what happened with Microsoft Flight....here we have LM opening their arms to 3PD and you think it is "desperate"?  How about you provide a suggestion on a better way forward?  Would love to hear it, complaining is easy, building is not.

So P3D is "doomed", and you wish everyone went away and left cracked, patched old FSX alone so someone would come in and provide the money to build you a new platform from the ground up? How about we enjoy what is here now, the fact there is still interest in simmers, and a number of ever growing developers and platforms, which means choice and variety of products to consumers?