Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

My New observations in P3D

Thank you Fr. Bill.  Rob, ignore the ignorance.  I thank you for your great work and appreciate the help you give the community.

Rob, ignore the ignorance.

The more videos I post of P3D in action and the more the trolls seem to emerge from the depths of despair.  But I guess I probably shouldn't feed trolls in the interest of thread preservation - so my apologies to Richard and others.

Cheers, Rob. 

I'm not sure I understand Aaron's point.  I haven't tried XP, and I am curious about it.  He seems to indicate at first that it is much better than P3D, but then later seems to want an entirely new platform built from scratch?  Perhaps he could explain.

Also, I wonder why it is that XPlane has such a low user base, and why so many people try it out, and then come back over.  A lot of comments seem to indicate that it looks good at first but it lacks depth.  So I'm wondering what it is that XP is missing?

Aaron seems primarily to be trolling for replies.  Perhaps he's just lonely and it's the only way to assure replies.   His comment to Rob is pretty telling, right at the beginning of the comment to try to insure a brisk response.   I tried Xplane 64 bit, 10.2 I think it was maybe 6 weeks ago or so, and though I didn't do anything more than take the demo up in the air I didn't find it very compelling, plus shockingly, performance wasn't what I had anticipated, and I have the hardware.  P3D V2.2 runs exceedingly well, as long as you understand what to do with it and have strong hardware.  The key for me is to use it in two distinctly different ways:

1.  As a VFR and otherwise light aircraft sim.  I run very high settings, cloud distance out to 80K, most sliders hard right, AA using NI, in FTX regional scenery in Hybrid mode:  runs beautifully using the RA Turbine Duke & the lovely RA Lancair.   Ultra smooth, exquisite image clarity out to the full LOD, and decent AA.

2.  As a heavier airliner sim.   For this, I run most sliders the same, however will not use FTX regionals, I stick w/ FTX Global only w/o hybrid mode, but do use 3rd party large terminals.  This works just fine because w/ the tube liners you're up and out of there so fast you don't really need the higher detail you find in regionals, so it works well.   I took a flight from KSMF to KPDX this morning and even taxiing around KPDX after landing never saw anything below 36 or so frames, and mostly she's staying close to v-sync locked at 60.   To be fair, I'm running the ultra easy on frames but surprisingly complex CS Super MD80 Pro.  I also do these in the QW757 which is tougher on frames than the MD80, but still easily handles Global w/ 3rd party terminals.  I can tell this will work fine w/ the AXE and likely PMDG stuff if it ever is ported over, because I've got the headroom from the looks of it.

Where it falls apart is in expecting it to do everything ORBX & the most complex 3rd party aircraft can possibly throw at it all at the same time.  Not gonna happen right now--in P3D or XPlane even if XP could utilize these, I'm sure.   Cloud shadowing really is the only thing that puts a damper on P3D--so again, until they come up w/ a better way to code for this, or optimize SLI for this purpose, you have to be careful what you're doing and not ask it to do everything at the same time.  Some real magic came this week w/ HT on at AM of 4094 for me:  great to see 10 virtual cores running as high as 75% at times when needed--this translates to amazing texture update rates.   It seems 99% fully updated out to the full LOD no matter where I'm flying now--good stuff!  So, so so much superior to what I saw in FSX.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

"The more videos I post of P3D in action and the more the trolls seem to emerge from the depths of despair.  But I guess I probably shouldn't feed trolls in the interest of thread preservation - so my apologies to Richard and others.

"

No apologies necessary - you have done nothing wrong Rob - far from it

Rich Sennett

I haven't tried XP, and I am curious about it.  He seems to indicate at first that it is much better than P3D,

I have. The XP10 jewel case now sits idly by on my desk. And it one point not that long ago XP10 was better than P3d. But not anymore and the gap continues to widen as more 3rd party products become compatible with P3d. But it is healthy to have competition.

I totally agree that competition is good for both sims. And I also own both P3D2 and X-Plane 10. I much prefer P3D2, so I have rarely used X-Plane 10 since P3D2 was released.  But that is just my personal preference . . . I just find that P3D2 gives me an overall better flying experience.

What I don't get is why anyone would even care that others might prefer a different flightsim than what they happen to like best. Apparently some people so insecure about their own likes or dislikes that they feel the need to tear down the other flightsim(s)? 

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Guys - stay tuned as I have a lot to lay on you and its approaching mid night - it will have to wait till tomorrow 

It will be middle of the road P3D menu settings yet still visually stunning - great OC video which after doing a proper OC I have eliminated small stutters - P3D CFG file - just two lines added - vector menu settings - rex4 menu settings - Affinity Mask - a talk about in game fps settings and what I have learned to find that sweet spot, its not what you might think.

A look at my NI profile which should work for all

Mind you this will be based on my rig but should help with more in depth thoughts I will go into

Lastly I have always gone for the best visuals with smooth performance - hence my middle of the road statement - you can crank up the settings more than what I have but will show in a fps loss - this may be acceptable to some  - my setup right now fps remain very constant even with a lot of clouds - the future of enhancements by LM should allow Us to crank the settings as it is close now but not quite yet - consider this normal settings in P3D are like Max in FSX - the future looks bright I have no doubt LM is going to blow Us away when all is said and done.

Over & Out - good times ahead

Rich Sennett

Guys - stay tuned as I have a lot to lay on you and its approaching mid night - it will have to wait till tomorrow

Looking forward to it.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Thank you Fr. Bill.  Rob, ignore the ignorance.  I thank you for your great work and appreciate the help you give the community.

Oddly enough, apparently "Aaron's" (probably a pseudonym) goal all along was to get banned, since his response to a measly 7 day suspension was absolutely calculated to gain a full-court "Ban" since he was silly enough to send it to the staff address where all mods and admins could read it. Go figure... :Batting Eyelashes:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Here We Go:

Ok this is a conservative P3D menu setting guide -  this is a base setup and you choose what your rig can handle or you can live with by turning more features on

My rig specs in Avatar

OVERCLOCKING is not required but it helps

These are the steps I did to get me to a very visual and smooth flight expreience - hope this will help others

1. Lets Talk - OVER CLOCKING - here is a video on the process all thanks to the creator - it is gigabyte specific but you can apply this method 

to other bios - but you would have to do your homework to double check for your board

Note: I loaded default settings - and then turned off onboard audio as I have a dedicated sound card from there I followed the directions - I used 1.100v on cpu vcore at 4 ghz cpu speed 

and max I will go to 4.3 ghz with a 1.200v vcore (not tried yet but should be fine - if no difference seen I will put it back to 4.0 ghz speed

make sure you find the correct timings for your ram - I was lucky as He is using the same ram as me - also found placing in my 2133 mhz speed manually works fine as He starts with 1600mhz

I did not stress like He did but feel comfortable with these setttings as His video goes thru settings that just didnt work and I narrowed it down for most to the settings I listed.

Here is the link:

=========================================================================================================

2. Nvidia Inspector Settings:

Nvidia control panel is default do not change anything - on the basis you know how to use NI - I will not go into that - here is a shot of my settings - this is a profile by Adi from His sweetfx findings I only added the bioshock entry to it

110kqbp.jpg

3. P3D menu settings 

As noted you can up them as you see fit - cloud shadows - AI - Etc. I change these as I see fit in certain situations

25k272q.jpg

2qwq5fp.jpg

2m4ocbl.jpg

v5d0dx.jpg

2r39ohx.jpg

=========================================================================================================

4. REX4 menu settings:

change these as you see fit

28bdug2.jpg

==========================================================================================================

5.Vector menu settings:

Transportation Tab: All highways and Primary Roads - the rest unticked - in that tab - All other tabs are left alone - they are all on

==========================================================================================================

6. P3D CFG Entrys

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=84

[bufferPools]

UsePools=0

Place at the top of file - no other changes made

You will have to find the correct AM number for you cpu as I am still playing with this - I have Hyper Threading off - I find on this new system it works a bit better - seems snappier all around

You need to see how your rig acts with it on or off - in previous rigs I have always used HT on - it suited them better

7. Nvida video driver - highly reccomend the latest driver WHQL 337.88 best I have ever seen - remember to re-apply you NI setting to prepar3d and add in that bioshock setting and attache your P3D exe to your new profile

Must be done after any new install of a video driver

8. Lets talk FPS slider in P3D Menu:

What I have seen is just sliding it to any selection is not the way to go about it - this is what I mean as you are flying with FPS counter on watch the counter you will see your intended fps lets say 45 - watch the FPS 

it drops down to thats actually where it wants to be so you start lowering your FPS you want to match the lower FPS its actually wanting - in short 45 is what I wanted but its dropping to 33 - lower your setting down to

33 and you will see that now the fps are starting to stabalize so you are now in the sweet spot - this will all based on your monitor - and all other settings - so this process brings it all together - you dont want fps 

boucing all over the place - this method will eliminate that - all of this is with pretty heavy cloud coverage so it works well - hope I explained this well - any questions on this just ask

9. This is important for all of this to work Windows AERO MUST be turned on as P3D is designed to to work with it on from what I have read and it certainly made a huge difference when it was on - no tearing or stutters

10. AI aircraft thoughts I have most of them and found fps issues and P3D menu slow loading issues and have found that the best to use is Ultimte Traffic 2 - it does not utilize the scenery library to handle the AI files

it is done outside of that system and is your best bet - as for the latest my traffic 3d I can not comment on that as I dont have it - but thinking it would be the same as the others I have tried including Their older 

products - I use traffic usually when leaving and approaching an airport but not in between - thats up to You. I like to use pre recorded ATC in the background or the AXE which provides this built in

11. I have a very high resolution asus wide screen monitor (2560 x 1440) which most cards cant even run so you may have better results and can crank settings higher - with upcoming enhancments from LM I think high resolutions will not

be an issue

12. These comments have provided a flawless experience even with Aerosoft AXE - Turning on AI will not help anyone but still smooth an enjoyable just dont crank it up to much 15 to 20 percent is usually enough

13. Its all about give and take with flightsim in general - future LM tweaks such as SLI support and stronger coding - G-SYNC montiors on the horizon also - maybe all of this work will be a thing of the past - lets hope

Any questions just ask - enjoy and hope this helps

Rich Sennett

HI Rich.  Your setting gives my system good balance and looks much better than what it did.

Thank you for taking the time to share your settings. Not sure about the buffer pools addition to 

my .CFG but i will leave it in there because it must be working. Glad to see you came over to P3D

your Talent as a painter was sure Appreciated, i still have the Mod you sent me for the PMDG 737 even

though i will wait until it's Official in P3d to use it again, Keep up the Great Work  !!

@Richard

Any chance of some screenshots of the sim with your settings as above?

Thanks!

"HI Rich.  Your setting gives my system good balance and looks much better than what it did.

Thank you for taking the time to share your settings. Not sure about the buffer pools addition to 

my .CFG but i will leave it in there because it must be working. Glad to see you came over to P3D

your Talent as a painter was sure Appreciated, i still have the Mod you sent me for the PMDG 737 even

though i will wait until it's Official in P3d to use it again, Keep up the Great Work  !!"

That is Awesome - glad its working out for you - thanks so much for the kind words - take care Buddy

===============================================================

"

Any chance of some screenshots of the sim with your settings as above?
Thanks! "

Here you go just posted it - hope you like it

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/443481-some-a2a-action/#entry3000300

Rich Sennett

Just saw that 172 pic!!

Beautiful!!!

Looks almost like a real photo!