Sign in to follow this  
mrvoyager

New 64 bit Flight Sim and PMDG aircraft soon?

FSX is FS10, the X is the roman numeral for 10. FS2004 was FS9 so the next instalment would be basically FS11, although I don't think that it will ever happen with them selling the ESP to LM and if rumours of the rights to FSX being sold.

But just dream of a new Flight Simulator using DX11, 64 bit and compatible with all your old scenery, aircraft, weather programs and the like with no new licences needed. Well we can but dream.

FSX is FS10, the X is the roman numeral for 10.

I know, I was making a joke since you wrote "X11" which would be "10 11." :wink:

Brandon Filer

I get you, my bad. just read through my original post, meant FS11. Still knowing Microsoft it would still be a mash up of FSX with a new interface, AKA Windows 7 with Metro.

And BTW using P3D is a no go - LM is the biggest killing machine in the world and as a peaceful simmer I will not go with those killers.

Cheers Tom

Tom, did you really just make the most ignorant comment in the history of Avsim? Guns dont kill people, the people using guns kill people....right? LM is just a contractor that that is hired to build/create sophisicated machinery,,,,the governments do the killing, not Lm! I fly P3D and I have never killed anybody and I'm sure 99% of P3D users do not support "killers".

Please stay off these forums until you get your head out your A#@.

Good Day,

Jefferson Davis

David, and what do you have to do to keep FSX not chrashing and working fine. There are reasons to use XP and reasons to use FSX.

And BTW using P3D is a no go - LM is the biggest killing machine in the world and as a peaceful simmer I will not go with those killers.

Cheers Tom

Boeing is reported to be  the second-largest defense contractor in the world - after Lockheed Martin. Airbus is the 7th largest.

Presumably you don't fly Boeing  or Airbus aircraft even in real-life??

Does anyone know if this will happen and what the timeframe could be? I think a really good 64 bit simulator is overdue, I wonder if Prepar3d will achieve this in a future version. Is Prepar the definitive choice for PMDG as the platform for future developments so far? I just think that just by having a 64 bit platform similar to fsx would improve performance by quite a lot and allow for more addons unlocking pc power, but I don't know at all if it would be too significant. For example I run a few addons with PMDG aircraft and only get 30 fps average but my cpu usage is around 75% or less most of the time.

LM has already stated that they're definitely going to make a 64-Bit simulator. It takes time though. When it does happen, none of your current FSX/P3D add-ons will work with it either. I don't remember all of the specifics, but I do know that BGL files aren't 64-Bit compatible. The main focus right now is to transition from FSX (a simulator that was never finished) to P3D V2.X (a simulator that is being developed to its full potential). 

There seems to be a misconception that 64bit will improve performance, this is not the case, if you are getting 25fps in 32 bit you will get 25 fps in 64 bit. What does happen is that the computer can access more than 4gb of ram, meaning products like Orbx can become ever more complicated and aircraft like PDMG can use higher res textures without OOM. 

As a X-Plane user, I saw all this happen. What I also saw happen was that virtually every complex aircraft was broken by 64 bit. The developers knew it was coming and updated accordingly and now everything works fine in 64 bit. However whether a lot of FSX developers  will want to upgrade their product to 64 bit is another matter. Some may well charge for the updates. 

Lastly X-Plane was written with 64 bit in mind, P3D being based on 7-8 year old code will not be such an easy prospect to change. It will get there, but I suspect it will not happen quickly.

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

Microsoft writes in 64-bit programming for Game Developers

When you compile applications as 64-bit, the calculations get more complicated. A 64-bit program uses 64-bit pointers, and its instructions are slightly larger, so the memory requirement is slightly increased. This can cause a slight drop in performance. On the other hand, having twice as many registers and having the ability to do 64-bit integer calculations in a single instruction will often more than compensate. The net result is that a 64-bit application might run slightly slower than the same application compiled as 32-bit, but it will often run slightly faster.

The whole article is worth rewading.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/ee418798%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Tom, did you really just make the most ignorant comment in the history of Avsim? Guns dont kill people, the people using guns kill people....right? LM is just a contractor that that is hired to build/create sophisicated machinery,,,,the governments do the killing, not Lm! I fly P3D and I have never killed anybody and I'm sure 99% of P3D users do not support "killers".

Please stay off these forums until you get your head out your A#@.

Good Day,

Jefferson Davis

The man was only expressing his opinion and view, nothing personal to you, so what's the problem. I am sure you can express your view point without a personal attack!

Just my view

DaveGi

The man was only expressing his opinion and view, nothing personal to you, so what's the problem. I am sure you can express your view point without a personal attack!

Just my view

DaveGi

And his opinion is  that "...as a peaceful simmer I will not go with those killers"  - meaning Lockheed Martin and the Prepar3D team.

[

And his opinion is  that "...as a peaceful simmer I will not go with those killers"  - meaning Lockheed Martin and the Prepar3D team

Yes I know Gerry, you might not agree, this is his perspective; I don't agree either, the point I am making is that one does not have to be personal and rude. Just make the appropriate point without the personal references.

DavGi

64bit should improve performance, as it enables the CPU to work at once with twice as much data. And if you think about the fact that the CPU is in general the choking point of any FSX build... it just adds up.

Even so... outside of P3D which is somewhat compatible with FSX addons, there doesn't seem to be any future evolution of FSX. And even if there was one, there wouldn't be any backward compatibility.

Cristi Neagu