Sign in to follow this  
777cap

NEW LAPTOP/Horrible perfomance

Your system looks good indeed, it is not very different from mine new one. (Although mine is intel i5).

Is the laptop running any  new games, METRO 2033, Stalker, Rail simulators good enough or just FSX? Because if modern games run well which they should, it means that there is no issues with your system or as Tabs said, wrong graphics card selected.

I happen to have this exact same graphics card, GT740M 2GB and it's a very good one which runs the latest games beautifuly on medium settings, unfortunately with FSX, lousy performance. Same with P3D.  I've tweaked and configured, and have acceptable framerate. However, I must keep myself to small airports in Russia as flying to Heathrow would be suicide...

There's no problem with your CPU, it's the GPU... Try lowering settings or antialiasing, it might help.

many laptops have both Intel integrated graphics and a discrete chip from Nvidia or AMD

That is true of almost any modern computer at least with Intel proecessor - most if not all i series CPUs have Intel HD graphic cores in them.

captains,

i am sorry i wont be able to reply to half as well as I should like,and be able to answer you half as well as you deserve..that said i have found the solution,all i needed to do was plug in the charger,now the clock speed goes upto 3.05 ghz while on FSX,and higher if needed.Now i get a sold 30fps in the ngx while approaching innsbruck(pretty good).I thank all of you,for your invaluable input,it really has made a difference,thank you!.

@

jmorvay1971:my laptop is a lenovo z510,tha=e final few still left in the market ^_^ 

@

Steve Dra:game on!i surely will reply with the results.LOVE thos pics btw.

@

dazz:found my screen resolution is 1366x 768

again thanks for the support,my one request is if the guys here running FSX on their laptops could post their settings,and some tweaks which has mad all the difference in their perfomance.

...and may i say...proud to be a laptop simmer.... :P .

thanks,

Mahesh

Glad you figured it out Mahesh.  That happened to me once with the charger.  Couldn't figure out why I was getting stutters and horrible frames all of a sudden.  Come to find out I had plugged it into the wall, but the power cord wasn't seated into the laptop all the way.  One of those DOH moments.

Who says you can't run FSX on a laptop :lol:

Chris Sunseri

all i needed to do was plug in the charger,now the clock speed goes upto 3.05 ghz

There are power saving settings you can change depending on whether you're on battery or plugged in to keep the CPU from slowing down if you want to 

Glad you figured it out Mahesh.  That happened to me once with the charger.  Couldn't figure out why I was getting stutters and horrible frames all of a sudden.  Come to find out I had plugged it into the wall, but the power cord wasn't seated into the laptop all the way.  One of those DOH moments.

Who says you can't run FSX on a laptop :lol:

I have you BOTH beat!  I too was victim of the same "not-plugged-in" syndrome...but it just so happened that I just finished doing some tweaks and installed some new software, so I thought it was something I did there.

Long story short....I wound up reinstalling FSX. :Silly:   When I noticed the battery meter almost dead, I did the mother of all face-palms! Hehe.

That is one advantage a desktop has over a laptop...when you lose AC power on a desktop (unless you have a really good UPS), there is a very clear indication of that...ie a black screen and silence.  :LMAO:

And unfortunately like some other settings you can apply on battery power, I turned the "Dim Screen to 75% brightness" or something like that....to "Use full brightness" so I didn't even notice it when it came unplugged.  I may have noticed if I was in-game and just saw it getting choppy...but I was in between reboots of FSX when it happened.  :Cry:

Game on Mahesh!  You have a great laptop, I'm envious...and the upgrade to an SSD still stands...in fact makes perfect since yours is new...not a lot of stuff cluttering it up (yet). Get one and be amazed! :)

Thanks for the comments about the pics....That was a very special paint I did in memory of my Aunt who worked for Alitalia Cargo out of KJFK for many decades.

There are power saving settings you can change depending on whether you're on battery or plugged in to keep the CPU from slowing down if you want to 

There is Dairo, and I've used it before...unfortunately your battery life goes from lasting a few hours to a few minutes when running FSX full bore on a monster CPU like the i7 is, even the mobile version.

Regards,

Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Glad i figured that out to,seeing i am not the only one with the charger problem ,makes me feel very good :P .That said,i would like it if the people here running FSX on the laptop can tell me there tweaks and specially your settings, also the power settings dont really make a difference(dazz) the cpu needs direct power to overclock,not saying it consumes a lot of battery very quick,the battery backup is pretty good,on this laptop,also my question remains..do you guys think i will be able to run the pmdg 777,with the above given addons(thats the rreason why i am asking people running the 777 on a laptop for there settings)

thanks,

Mahesh

the power settings dont really make a difference(dazz) the cpu needs direct power to overclock

You mean that setting "Minimum processor state" - "On battery" to 100% as seen in this picture does nothing?

http://superuser.com/questions/565347/how-does-windows-limit-the-cpu-power-options-battery-saving

Maybe Lenovo have added an extra layer of power management restrictions

FSX is very CPU depended... Granted you have turbo boost, but that is software driven and not by voltage like overclocking... Your other specs seem adequate but your CPU is the weakest link. You can try adding the below to your .cfg

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=255

i have an i7 and use this setting and get very nice results. if you have the addon manager from fsdreamteam or flightbeam, (you can even download the standalone manager) you can set your cores there. Other than that, i am not sure what else you can try.

if u tweak your laptop and fsx right you will get desent performance, i have a 5 year old laptop , amd processr intergrated gfx hd

4200 ,

i have global ftx, global vectors, ngx  ,ultimate traffic  ,ground services x,fs2crew, IVAO, Rex Textures , Opus fsx for weather, it runs very good for a very old low end laptop, Anisotropic 16- Anti Alaising 4, but when there is lots of clouds i reduce it to AA2,

fsx settings, water low 1-autogen 0- shadows 0- default traffic 0 except ground traffic at med- clouds detailed but on low.

couple of FSX CFG tweaks.

also when ever your not using your mouse, make sure the mouse cursor is not visible on the screen

soon ill be getting a desktop for more performance, but for now it actually looks good and flyable for me

Luck to you, and I, as one, successfully run fsx on an I3 laptop on the road!

I've got an ACER Aspire TimelineU with:

i5 3317CPU

6Gb RAM

256GBSSD (boy, did that make a difference)

NVidia 640M

and it runs:

FSX with

REX 4TD

ORBX FTX Global and Vector

PMDG 737NGX

Just fine - not first rate in the VC but then I don't fly in the VC anyway. I love it - i need a laptop for work and I have everything maxed out apart from water, traffic and autogen which is just set to "dense. It's wonderful - never overheats and no OOMs.

Who says you can't run FSX on a laptop with all the goodies?

Gerry

Greg,all i can say is welcome to the laptop flyers club :P,(we should open such a GROUP..NO?)

For your next system you may want to consider a super compact desktop gaming PC I'm planning on building on to take on trips when I get on with the airlines as layovers can get kinda boring

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Hi,

did anybody of you simmers living in UK or Europe ever buy anything from this vendor?

http://www.chillblast.com/

I searched in the forum and I found their name mentioned several times, however it would be fine to know someone who is using a machine configured by them, preferrably a laptop.

A guy on another flight sim forum recommended them. Apparently he bought a 13" laptop configured for flight simulation (http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Tiger-Moth-Flight-Sim-Laptop.html) and he is very satisfied with the performance. I am currently considering the 17" model:

http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=19968

I contacted them and they were very supportive and ready to offer assistance to configure the machine and make the most out of it in terms of performance in FSX. Anybody of you would recommend them and tell me what I can roughly expect from such a configuration?

NOTE
Just to make things clear: obviously I am not expecting a desktop comparable performance. I am aware a laptop will never reach the same performance as a desktop, unfortunately a desktop is not an option for me at the moment.

Thanks in advance.