Sign in to follow this  
Joe Flyer2

You Choose! 737NGX or 777?

As others have said, first of all, it's range. I have both, and I fly the NGX up and down the East Coast and inland a bit. But it doesn't work flying, say, from JFK to LAS.  The 777 goes coast to coast and trans-Atlantic.  Both are excellent aircraft, and each has it's own cool features. If I had to choose one, it would probably be the 777.

The only thing I would change is the video card. I had an nVidia onboard system on my ASUS mobo that almost worked, so I bought an nVidia gForce 650 GTX (which you can get for right around $100) and that made all th difference in the world. I have the same system as you - quad processor, 8 Gb RAM - and the video makes all the difference.

The 737 is also a bit cheaper than the 777, so that might make a difference, too.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

+olli4740 Tell me more.... This sounds interesting. Elaborate, please. Thanks.

(...)

Joe, in the FSX Options menu you find load and save commands for the graphics settings.

So my idea is, save your current graphics settings from there ("Joes current profile.cfg"), fool around with the graphics options in order to get the fps you want for your NGX, and save those settings, too ("Joes NGX profile.cfg").

Now you have two graphics profiles, one being your usual one, the other one tailor-made for your NGX. You can swtich back and forth between them via loading the other one into your sim.

Feel free to expand: I use an even lower "low profile" for really heavy scenery, and a VoxATC profile with no AI traffic at all (as Vox creates its own AI traffic).

So basically I would be making myself pre-made selections for settings. I really like that idea. I'll try doing that. Thanks!

Joe.

I have both, and I fly the NGX up and down the East Coast and inland a bit. But it doesn't work flying, say, from JFK to LAS.

Huh? :huh: Unless I'm missing something, I happened to fly on a Continental Boeing 737-800 in 2005 that flew from EWR to LAS unless you know something that Continental doesn't. So not really sure why you think JFK to LAS wouldn't work in a 737. In fact, I think it could even fly to LAX from JFK. Also, if I remember correctly, Aloha flew it from Honolulu to California in the past.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Yeah, there are all kinds of 738/739 transcons:

DCA-SEA

EWR-LAX

IAD-DEN

...and so on.

The 738/739 is filling much of the spot the 752s used to fill.  Sure, back in the day, UAL flew a DC-10 from IAD-SAN (that was my first flight, ever, actually).  Now, however, they've opted for sending a few 75s and 73s a day, instead of the single, higher density flight per day.

Kyle Rodgers

Sure, back in the day, UAL flew a DC-10 from IAD-SAN (that was my first flight, ever, actually).  Now, however, they've opted for sending a few 75s and 73s a day, instead of the single, higher density flight per day.

Yeah, well, I guess not much they can do if people demand flights at all hours.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

737 is universal.

Flights from 20 minutes to long haul flights taking few hours and etops procedures are applicable. PMDG knew exactly which model have to be the most popular.

I don't have 777 as I think that addon for such unstable software as FSX shouldn't have such problems as OOM errors.

And overlocking is needed always, as the more performance you get (especially from CPU) the more nice and smooth quality picture you have.

As most of us do, we like to recreate real-life operated flights to a high degree of realism, so doing short hops in a 777 doesn't leave you with a lot of realistic options.

Depends. I've flown on United 777s flying from NRT to TPE and back, and those weren't terribly long flights, only about four hours. Hell, I've even flown that in the Boeing 747-400. And doesn't Delta also have a few short flights just for repositioning?

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

I've flown on some UAL 777s from IAD to MIA a couple times.  There are definitely high-density short routes that they fly on, though he's right that there aren't many.

Kyle Rodgers

Personally, I like the long-haul flights followed by a small hop. KLM has quite a few flights like that with the 777:
Amsterdam - Taipei - Manila
Amsterdam - Singapore - Bali
Amsterdam - Kuala Lumpur - Jakarta
Amsterdam - Buenos Aires - Santiago de Chili
Amsterdam - Quito - Guayaquil

It gives a nice variety :)

Henk de Vries

Love the NGX! Like to follow Southwest routes for short hops and Delta and American for longer US, Centeral American and Carrib flights. NGX works fine on my system with add on airports. Best thing FSX has going. Dont have the T7.  I'M SURE IT'S a great plane, but I too can't devote the time most T7 routes require and time compress though I sometimes use it, seems an imersion killer to me.  

Vic green