Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

HDG Sync

Hello there,

Is there a shortcut in 737ngx to synchronize HGD with the current track (obviously without turning the HDG rotary)?

Thanks,

Igor.

One can always recognize Boeing drivers by their third arm (the one that's constantly twiddling the Hdg Knob).

;)

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I've given up on it. There's no operational reason to do it.

Matt Cee

I've given up on it. There's no operational reason to do it.

The only argument I can make for it is that it's a lot easier to respond to a vector from ATC if it's right on the nose.  Then again, if you're in the terminal environment, and you've flown in there before, you can likely anticipate the turn pretty well.

Kyle Rodgers

It can be useful to keep it sync if LNAV starts messing up... it happens to me seldom during approach procedures where for unknow reason the LNAV decides to take the plane away from the track...

In that case, it easier to just have to push hdg sel and limit the excursion.

I can't remember where I read it (maybe FCOM or FCTM) but it is advised to keep it sync at anytime.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I can't remember where I read it (maybe FCOM or FCTM) but it is advised to keep it sync at anytime.

Find that for me, and I'll have to rethink my position.

The only argument I can make for it is that it's a lot easier to respond to a vector from ATC if it's right on the nose. Then again, if you're in the terminal environment, and you've flown in there before, you can likely anticipate the turn pretty well.

I'll start off during takeoff with it on the desired heading on takeoff. I flew 6.0 from TPA to SEA last night and I had it point it in the right-ish direction enroute. I could twiddle the knob every 30 seconds like some guys do. However, I'll start twiddling when I start getting vectors.

We did have to do a lot of deviating around thunderstorms last night. It is helpful to have the heading bug synced when you're around thunderstorms so you can easily see what's in your path. (ie. What's on your nose is more important than what's on your course.) Sometimes I'll use HDG SEL and obviously the heading bug to deviate. Sometimes I'll just use CWS ROLL.

Here's my pet peeve:

GOLDN6 into SAN.  Once you get on with NORCAL, they'll give you "Depart SAN VOR heading 140, vectors left downwind 28L." So, as a proactive pilot with attention issues, I'll dial in the 140 HDG as a reminder, but we'll still be in LNAV to that point.

Captain Twiddlyfingers helps you out by syncing the heading bug up. Thanks!

I've even had Captain Twiddlyfingers try to sync the heading for me while we're on vectors! The reaction is so ingrained that it's an automatic reaction. Push the button, get a banana!

I think that at some point, some plane must have had this as a recommendation. Maybe it was the B737-200 or the B727-100/200. Maybe it was the MD. I dunno, but I don't think it's the NG.

it happens to me seldom during approach procedures where for unknow reason the LNAV decides to take the plane away from the track...

I'd probably <click> <click> off the autopilot at that point. That sounds more like a sim-ism, though. I've never seen an LNAV excursion RW.

At SEA and some places, we do however get LOC and G/S deviations when they're crossing traffic on the runway. That requires immediate correction, so the A/P is off in a flash. My heading bug at that point would be married to the final approach course. Which reminds me. . .

Another pet peeve:

When I join the LOC, I set the heading bug to the final approach course. I can easily catch drift at the bottom of the PFD that way.

Sometimes Captain Twiddlyfingers helps out in a crosswind by marrying the bug. Thanks, Captain!

Matt Cee

I'd probably <click> <click> off the autopilot at that point. That sounds more like a sim-ism, though. I've never seen an LNAV excursion RW.

I must not have said it properly, when I talked about track I don't mean rw. The rare issues I have usually occur well before the IF. I'm used to disconnecting autopilot once in final.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

I must not have said it properly, when I talked about track I don't mean rw. The rare issues I have usually occur well before the IF. I'm used to disconnecting autopilot once in final.

I meant RealWorld. Ha. Alphabet soup can get confusing.

Matt Cee

Oups, my fault, I confused rw and rwy... I must be tired tonight! :P

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg