Sign in to follow this  
heightsmite

NGX update?

Kyle, can you honestly tell me that you can think of no reason whatsoever for why someone might not read the manual for something other than lack of initiative? None whatsoever?

Because I refuse to accept that you would be so narrow minded. And no, I am not trying to be difficult, there is merit in thinking the opposite, seeing things from a point of view not your own (after all, in science we try to disprove our hypotheses, since you can basically prove just about anything if you use only confirmation), and we accept a theory as true when it not only explains what we see in front of us, but also explains why other competing explanations are wrong.

So, apologies for not taking you at your word, it is not personal, it sort of comes with the job.

And yes, I did notice how I asked you to find the statistics to back up your claim, I don't want to prove my point to you, I want you to prove your point to me. Where is the logic in accepting someone's claim without evidence? And, not meaning to be rude, but do you have some stats on which you base your claim, or what is it derived from?

Apologies for the bits and pieces response, but I am a little pressed for time.

So Harry, could you point out in the forum where it says to breath, or how about where your toilet is, or how about how to walk out of your house. Not there? What a surprise, not really as it is called common sense.

I don't know about you but as I grew up I learnt how to use my own knowledge on how to find things without people telling me.

Kyle - There is a big difference between lack of common courtesy and getting fed up with answering the same question with things such as, "read the manual", "fly the tutorial", "this has already been answered, search" and "it will be ready when it ready". A lack of common courtesy would be not to say anything at all, or trying to win an argument and not having the intelligence to do so. I know we have had run in's of the forum before, but looking back, we each had are own opinions and some of the points you made was right. (not all LOL)

Craig, I think you and Kyle are misunderstanding my position.

This has nothing to do with common courtesy. Kyle actually alluded to what my point of view is based on when he mentioned that people are given towards taking the easiest route when it comes to mental activity.

Has neither of you ever wondered why that is? The British philosopher Bertrand Russell said that, most people will sooner die than think, in fact most people do.

The scientific literature is filled with study after study that documents just how bad people are at thinking. In fact, there is even a name for it, coined by the Canadian scholar Keith Stanovich, dysrationalia. The reason that people are awful at thinking properly is biological, millions of years of evolution shaped our minds to take mental short cuts. Hell, your conscious mind doesn't even know what enters your unconscious mind, yet people base opinions on stuff fed to them by their unconscious minds.

You cannot change this about people, no amount of chiding, scolding, encouragement, logic, evidence presentation, or whatever your preferred method is for getting people to think will work. We evolved lazy minds, because it served an evolutionary purpose.

Sure, you can teach people logic, but do you know what they do with those skills? They use logic to better defend the positions they had previously adopted through bad reasoning. It makes it worse then.

What Kyle is up against is human nature, and he can chide until he is blue in the face, people cannot change. That makes Kyle's approach essentially futile, and he is spending energy on a pursuit that will never be accomplished. He is, and so is everyone else, of course, free to carry on trying to change human nature, but it will accomplish nothing.

It is not the lack of common courtesy that puzzles me, it is the futility of the pursuit. There is no logic in it. How, for example, would you explain the fact that there is a scientifically proven inverse correlation between confidence and being right. The more confident a person is, the more often they are wrong about what they believe. Or, what about the fact that judges hand down more lenient sentences for similar crimes based purely on the mitigating circumstances of a full stomach. People are irrational, nothing will change that.

People are looking at the effect than looking at what caused this thread to start going downhill.Please look at the top 3 posts in this thread and there shouldn't have been any problem even in this repeat thread.

And I haven't seen anybody having issues where OP has responded appropriately with what i mentioned in point 3.

1. OP posts the question

2. I respond with no personal attack.But just to search the forum since its been discussed a lot.

3. OP comes back with a personal attack of calling me a forum cop.This is the point which caused the downhill.If the response would have been "Oh ok thanks..will dig further"

Honestly this thread would have lasted for only 3 posts.No body would have had a  problem with anything inspite of repeated posts for NGX update.Kyle and like wise people who support by asking the user to search the forum becomes the target of "not responding appropriately or attacking the OP" but please see whats happened in post 3. This is the cause..Not Kyle or myself.

Pankaj

Totally true Pankaj.

The trouble is that the same people who keep who refuse to refuse to search or keep arguing the point, are the same people who expect people like yourself, Kyle and many others to offer support when they have problems. Most of which will be repeats of things already listed in the support forum over and over again.

I'm sure they will moan when the question cease to get answered, because people are fed up of answering the same thing, especially if the only support is the ticket system from PMDG.

Fact: Search on Google for 'PMDG 737 NGX update' - 0.93 seconds. Forth result down 'Question to PMDG about NGX Service Pack 2?".

Not that difficult was it!

Maybe the new forum moderators will just delete the same things that come up over and over, with a new title saying "search".

May be the text input box should also work as a Lookahead search box on the side..like google..haha..

May be the text input box should also work as a Lookahead search box on the side..like google..haha..

Do you mean the text input box for the topic heading? If so, that is actually a really good and practical idea.

yes..anywhere as long as it does its job..The topic heading seems a good place..

We'll see. Don't forget that the 737 was released 3 years ago and is therefore a relatively old piece of software.

And I can't see that it will make much commercial sense to PMDG to release free of charge an update that has taken a ton of resources to develop.

At this rate we'll never see a new airplane if the expectation is that they will now update all their other planes...

Colin Ware

Seattle