Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

I want to love X-plane 10 but so many things to hate

I guess there is a lot of people like are just looking for an alternative and have our wallet ready to jump ship. I have no allegiance to one company or another. Of course I dislike all the cons about FSX or P3D but I think I dislike them less than certain thing I really don't like about X-plane. I've been playing a little bit this week and I just don't like how the Cessna 172 is so unstable. Its not like that in real life. I would think that A2A simulation is a lot more close to what flying a real Cessna C172 feels like than the one in X-plane 10.

Either way. Its not a bad product but it lack a "j'ne sais quoi".

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

You're comparing an old recycled default plane in one sim to a state of the art add-on in another, so of course the former is cr@p next to A2A's offering.

There are much better GA planes to play with; take one of the recent Carenado's for example and you'll see what the difference is.

The CT206H is my current go-to plane and is quite wonderful (and will be even better once Dan fixes that darned altitude manipulator but that's another story).

Not without competent ATC and ESPECIALLY no commercial AI traffic.

My search for just that in FSX lead me to one inescapable conclusion: Vatsim. Anything else was fake. There is no AI ATC solution that doesn't completely destroy my immersion with its failure to match real procedures or the way it handles AI. I thought VoxATC might be it, and it kind of was interesting, but then I saw the way it managed AI planes and it was turf'd after that, lucky it was only the trial period. Radar Contact is pretty good, but it doesn't do terminal procedures properly. Looking at the general picture, constantly finding airports where there's a problem with the AFCAD that makes AI traffic do stupid stuff means more hours of looking for fixes or trying to ignore it.

In the end I realized that Vatsim was the only way I could find the start to finish, full suite of required skills, realistic experience. Being in a stack of aircraft during a big event between two large airports and being given a heading select deviation during cruise to create the necessary spacing from the aircraft in front of me so that I can come in on a STAR that I haven't even been given yet was an experience I could never have with the AI. Coming down later on the STAR with the approach controller giving me the choice of which runway I preferred was a choice I'd never been given by AI. Coming in thinking about my own speed, my own altitude, and my aircraft's tendency to not want to slow down while realizing that the controller was going to keep me fast at the end because I had traffic behind me was another tense moment I'd never had with the AI.

FSX, X-Plane, doesn't matter. The only way I fly anymore is there for both. Its enough money for me without having to spend it on disappointing ATC half-solutions.

Use fsx and xplane like both actually despite thier flaws. Xplane easier to setup than fsx better vfr user but fsx is like it for eyecandy and variety of scenery and aircraft.

Vatsim is fine for people who don't mind speaking to people they don't know through the Internet. A lot of people don't feel comfortable (maybe I'm a bit old or something (I'm 35)) and find the whole vatsim thing a bit 'sad'. I wish there was an ATC app up to the quality of a pmdg plane or active sky or something. A rock solid, faithful, gold standard sort of a thing. And one you didn't have to actually talk to in any way at all :)

Vatsim is fine for people who don't mind speaking to people they don't know through the Internet. A lot of people don't feel comfortable (maybe I'm a bit old or something (I'm 35)) and find the whole vatsim thing a bit 'sad'. I wish there was an ATC app up to the quality of a pmdg plane or active sky or something. A rock solid, faithful, gold standard sort of a thing. And one you didn't have to actually talk to in any way at all :)

I feel the same, and I''m 30:)

What about Pilotedge? Ok it's paid but its highly professional, indeed some of the controllers are former ATC controllers from what I understand. I would be using them but unfortunately my location ties in perfectly with their daily down time

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

Interesting observation as I find people who would rather talk to software a bit 'sad.'

Haha not sad just differences of opinion.  :lol:

I use RC4 and VoxATC a fair amount but you do get quite a buzz being controlled by real people. Flying online can be a challenge but fun too. Last weekend on Ivao there was a bit of a taxiway jam at my departure airport due to inattentive pilots and the controller had to sort it all out. It did cause a delay to my pushback but you just don't get this stuff offline.

Interesting observation as I find people who would rather talk to software a bit 'sad.'

+1

I don't see how talking to people online is 'sad' either. It's more realistic to speak to someone anyway rather than clicking on selections from a menu or typing stuff in. If you're flying a real plane then you will always need to speak to someone you 'don't know' in ATC.

+1

I don't see how talking to people online is 'sad' either. It's more realistic to speak to someone anyway rather than clicking on selections from a menu or typing stuff in. If you're flying a real plane then you will always need to speak to someone you 'don't know' in ATC.

NOT if your an introvert!

in·tro·vert- Noun

They wear headphones for a reason, and it’s so that people will (hopefully) not talk to them.  ^_^

enhanced-buzz-27986-1370028574-1_zpsff5e

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Sure it's not for everyone but in terms of realism there's nothing better than talking to a real person on a network such as VATSIM, IVAO or PilotEdge. It takes practice and you need to rehearse in your head what you want to say to the controller so I can see how not everyone would be comfortable with it.

I suppose not everyone is interested in becoming a RW pilot either.

don't see how talking to people online is 'sad' either. It's more realistic to speak to someone anyway rather than clicking on selections from a menu or typing stuff in.

The sad part is, most people I know do think it's sad, and don't understand what the fun is in pretending to talk to an air traffic controller. These are the same people who will talk for hours over Skype with people they don't know to in games such as World of Tanks, etc.. (Something I also don't understand the mass appeal of)

My only issue with talking online or out loud to the computer in general is that my hours of simming are generally late in the evening after work when others in the house are sleeping or my girlfriend is in bed or wanting to watch TV or a film, and she'd quickly complain at me if I was talking out loud to my computer (Plus she does think the entire simming thing is boring  :( , but each to his/her own).

If you're using X-Plane/FSX as a training tool, or looking for 100% realism, then really you can't beat Vatsim/PilotEdge when there is coverage.