Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Pilot's Global Mesh 2010 FSX edition review...for FSX/P3D

I will solve this....but I just want to VENT my frustration with the downloading and installing of FSGlobal.  I bought this Mesh program for over $85 and I've never been so upset about installing an expensive program.  I have all my Z0 files, my installation exe., and my Zip file.  At one point, I didn't know any better, and I tried to change my Z0 extensions to Zip files.  Well, that was not the thing to do.  I've downloaded Internet Download Managers and I couldn't get rid of my transformed Zip files.  Then I uninstalled Winzip so that I could have my Z files back.  THEN I find out that you need Winzip or RAR to make it work.

Anyway...it's been a real circus.  I've emailed Winzip and given them my Registration numbers so that they would send me a new download link so that I could get it back on my system.

Again....I believe the installation and SIZE of this download is so significant, that instructions for it should have been foremost.  I know that eventually I'll get it together, but I just had to write about this.  I've been downloading Flight sim stuff for over 16 years, and this has been one of the biggest challenges I've ever faced.  To compound it all, you really can't phone anyone for help.  You are always referred to FAQ's and forums.  Frustrating!

Stan

There was perfectly clear instructions above on what to do, why did you start renaming files and then bother winzip? User error here.

You're probably right.  I'm just used to doing things one way, and it's usually worked.  This time....it didn't.

Stan

ps.  LAST QUESTION.   Does anyone know how to CHANGE a Winzip file BACK to a Z01 file?  If I knew the answer to that, it would solve my dilemma.

Folder Options in Winzip?  Folder options in Windows?  My Z01 file keeps downloading as a Winzipped file.  All the other Z's are downloaded as Z's.  That seems to be the only problem I have with a full installation of this program.  I'm not sure why that 1 file keeps ending up as a zipped file when completed.

Stan

Stan,

I just read post #112 again.

It explains:

"Stan only the FIRST one you downloaded is in fact the zip file...the rest z01, z02, etc, are CONTAINER files. ".

Is that what you have ?

Maybe do a screenshot of what your download looks like so filenames and sizes can be checked.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

No.  For some reason, I have the installation file, 1 zipped file, and then z01 somehow shows up as a zipped file.  z02,z03,z04, and z05 all are still z files.  Somehow the z01 file has a winzip extension, and I can't seem to get it back to its original format.  So now, I have 2 zipped files when I should really only have one.

All I need is a REGULAR z01 file, its seems.  How this happened...I don't know. 

I have been following this thread and to date no one has mentioned a question or answer to what I cannot figure out so here goes.

I downloaded and installed Pilots FSG Global 2010 3 weeks ago and curious as I am I found a Pilots Terrain Configuration Tool located in the folder and I have no clue what it does or what option do I choose. There is no information in the Pdf files included with the software.

Can anyone tell me more about this and what option I should choose?

Nick Sciortino

No.  For some reason, I have the installation file, 1 zipped file, and then z01 somehow shows up as a zipped file.  z02,z03,z04, and z05 all are still z files.  Somehow the z01 file has a winzip extension, and I can't seem to get it back to its original format.  So now, I have 2 zipped files when I should really only have one.

Can you delete what you have downloaded again to a new folder?

Even if you cannot delete the files right now for some reason just leave them where they are to be deleted later.

And then do a screenshot of what you got from the download and then check back here what to do next?

Best Regards,

I took a screenshot, but I've never posted one to AVSIM forums before.  Is there a tutorial for that, or is there a simple "how to" somewhere?

Stan

You have to upload it to a free site like Photobucket .. then it will give you a "text" link to it.

Then, post the link here in your post.

Best Regards,

Stan,

When you do a screenshot you can EDIT/"crop" it so just the data shows .. not your entire desktop.

And the data will be larger also.

I did a screenshot of your data.

Is this from a new fresh download?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzy1nuw2c4v673r/Stans-Cropped-enlarged.jpg

Nice crop job - not having the this software if these are all the files needed which it looks like file number 1 has the wrong name (1) should not be there rename it by getting rid of (1) in top file - then right mouse click fss application file and run as administrator and should install pretty simple stuff here

Rich Sennett

Folder Options in Winzip?  Folder options in Windows?  My Z01 file keeps downloading as a Winzipped file.  All the other Z's are downloaded as Z's.  That seems to be the only problem I have with a full installation of this program.  I'm not sure why that 1 file keeps ending up as a zipped file when completed.

Stan

Stan, IGNORE the first Z1 file.  It will all work. Just put all 6 parts into a desktop folder. YOU CAN ONLY OPEN ONE!  That will be the true zip file.  Unzip that with WinZip..and WinZip will know about the other five file containers...and will extract all to one extract. Then...run the un-wrapper...and you're off to the races.

I have been following this thread and to date no one has mentioned a question or answer to what I cannot figure out so here goes.

I downloaded and installed Pilots FSG Global 2010 3 weeks ago and curious as I am I found a Pilots Terrain Configuration Tool located in the folder and I have no clue what it does or what option do I choose. There is no information in the Pdf files included with the software.

Can anyone tell me more about this and what option I should choose?

Nick, it is used, in case you have plateaus, and in the FSGlobal2010FSX package that was installed on your system, you will find a manual all about it, with step-by-step instructions for its use. 

Nick, it is used, in case you have plateaus, and in the FSGlobal2010FSX package that was installed on your system, you will find a manual all about it, with step-by-step instructions for its use.

Thank you for the quick reply, yes I found the manual and did read about what it does, but it does not address the included Terrain Configuration Tool that is also included with the folder unless I missed it!

Nick Sciortino