Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeMB

PFPX or FSBuild

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a good flight planner for FSX. But I want something not over extreme in complexity, where I don't have to spend 50 minutes to preflight. I understand that's part of simulation but I can't do that every time. Also I mainly fly the PMDG MD-11 Cargo verison. I use to just use the free simroutes web site to get my rte flight plan files for the MD-11 but that site as not been working at all. I liked it because it was simple but it doesn't work anymore for PMDG. 

I have REX but that program's flight planner does not covert to rte files.

FS build from I have seen is old and my not work with my Windows 7-64bit computer or the MD-11. I can get the PFPX + TOPCAT Bundle but I'm very worried about getting overwhelmed by them. 

I'm also very very worried that FS build and Professional Flight Planner X are programs that must be running while FSX is running too. Having to run REX for it's weather and a huge flight planner program at the same time could hurt my FSX performance big time. 

So I'm looking for some input on what route I should take. The big selling points for me will be if it works with the PMDG MD-11 and doesn't have to run alongside FSX

Thank you for any replies best regards.

My rig specs:

HP bought in 2009
Model #: p6340f
PCBRAND: Pavilion
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz 2.67GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB
Windows 7 64 bit OP
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 Driver Version 332.21

FSX Add-ons I have installed in my rig:

FSX Sp 1 and 2
REX OD
FSUIPC4 + FSUIPC490 update
EZdok 1.17
A2A Accu-Feel V2
PMDG MD-11
FS2Crew MD-11
QW 757
Navgragh FMS Manager
Navgragh Carts 4

GeorgeMB

PFPX hands down.

As easy as you want it, as complex as you wish - and this is the best thing about PFPX. 

You decide level of detail you want to go into.

I'm also very very worried that FS build and Professional Flight Planner X are programs that must be running while FSX is running too

Nope. They both are used to create flight plans and that's it. Once you export the flight plans to relevant directories, you close the software

PFPX hands down.

As easy as you want it, as complex as you wish - and this is the best thing about PFPX. 

You decide level of detail you want to go into.

Nope. They both are used to create flight plans and that's it. Once you export the flight plans to relevant directories, you close the software

Thank you for the reply Makdrive. So do you think both can be good for making routes for the FMC that's in the PMDG MD-11 cargo plane? 

GeorgeMB

I too was concerned about the complexity of PFPX (and later TopCat) but once you've got through the learning curve it's easy to create a flight plan. There's a wizard that takes you through a major part of the process so you can't miss anything crucial.

The first 12 months after buying PFPX gives you access to their weather database (subscription thereafter) and the closer you plan the flight to actually flying it the more accurate the weather.

I have a NAS box where I save my plans to but the whole process of creating a plan and then feeding it into TopCat for take-off data can all be done in around 5-10 minutes. There's an option in TopCat to load fuel and payload directly into your aircraft if you have FSX running. That's a really helpful feature.

There are 4 templates for the PMDG MD-11 so it would suit you very well. Consider buying it from PC Aviator as they have a 10% discount each Tuesday as well as occasional discounted prices.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

So do you think both can be good for making routes for the FMC that's in the PMDG MD-11 cargo plane? 

TBH I haven't used FSBuild. I hope someone who uses FSBuild can give you an idea about it. But as a PFPX satisfied user I can tell you about PFPX.

Here's a screenshot of many addons for which PFPX can make flight plans (even for FSX and FS2004). This is just part of the long list 

Capture.jpg

More 

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

I love PFPX and use it for most of my flights. It is certainly the most advanced, yet easy to use, flight planner out there. However, here are some things to consider:

1) Try Simbrief.com, which is free. It is not quite as good as PFPX but still very good. It might be sufficient for your needs. To be honest, I might not have bought PFPX if I had known about Simbrief before, although I am still happy I own PFPX.

2) PFPX only supports certain planes. For all other planes I have to use FSBuild or Simbrief.com

3) FSBuild exports to more formats than PFPX. It is also better for use with Radar Contact 4. If I use the latter I often plan the flight with PFPX and then enter the route into FSBuild to create an RC4 flight plan.

4) PFPX sucks at generating routes in North America. In 80% of my flight planning it suggests routes that are more than 30% longer than the great circle distance. I don't mind too much because I enjoy finding the route manually, but if you want to have a quicker solution, FSBuild or some free tools on the internet (see links in the Simbrief flight planner) may be better. However, for a given route PFPX is still the best when it comes to estimating flight time and fuel consumption.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm very happy to hear that PFPX and FSBuild don't need to run alongside FSX. That was a major concern for me since FSX along with REX need to eat so much.

I'm guessing from Makdrive's screen shot of PFPX, the PMDG simulations box would be the one to use for the MD-11. 

And Ray Proudfoot, thank you for telling me about PC Aviator and their discounts. Much appreciated.

Right now PFPX seems to be the way to go. And PFPX being a newer program I think running into compatibility issues with windows 7 64bit will be less likely.  

Regards. 

GeorgeMB

1) Try Simbrief.com, which is free. It is not quite as good as PFPX but still very good. It might be sufficient for your needs. To be honest, I might not have bought PFPX if I had known about Simbrief before, although I am still happy I own PFPX.

The only thing with Simbrief.com is (correct me if I'm wrong) that you still need to get the routes from an outside source, while PFPX can generate it's own routes.

To the OP:

I've used FSBuild in the past and am using PFPX now. To me PFPX is hands down the best option. Even though it has more functionality it's way more user friendly than FSBuild. PFPX is also still actively developed, which, I believe, is not the case for FSBuild.

PFPX has a lot of "auto"-options. Which can make planning a flight a proces of pushing a few buttons.

Topcat can be a nice additions but is not necessary to use PFPX.

Topcat is purely used for calculating you take-off and landing performance numbers.

The only thing with Simbrief.com is (correct me if I'm wrong) that you still need to get the routes from an outside source, while PFPX can generate it's own routes.

Hi Bastiaan,

that is correct, but not a big deal as they provide links to free route finders in their dispatch systems. And in Canada, these free route finders are actually better than that of PFPX. Try, for instance, finding a route from CYYT to CYAY (which is a commercial flight, btw). On my system, PFPX creates a route via Nova Scotia and Quebec that is 224% longer than the direct route :D

Cheers,

Peter

I just signed up to Simbrief.com it's neat but there doesn't seem to be a download option that loads like a rte flight plan file into FSX like Simroutes use to. Must have to put in the data by hand. Flying mostly the shorter 2 hour FDX and UPS routes that's not really a problem though.

I now just want to make sure that PFPX is gonna work with the PMDG MD-11F. Once a couple people confirm I will buy it. Same for FSBuild but that being a older program I'm leaning towards PFPX. 

Again thanks for the replies. 

GeorgeMB

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm guessing from Makdrive's screen shot of PFPX, the PMDG simulations box would be the one to use for the MD-11. 

Correct.

And as 'makdrive' said, it's easy as you want it & as complex as you wish.

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

I just signed up to Simbrief.com it's neat but there doesn't seem to be a download option that loads like a rte flight plan file into FSX like Simroutes use to. Must have to put in the data by hand. Flying mostly the shorter 2 hour FDX and UPS routes that's not really a problem though.

You should have a download option, along the top-right of the Output page. Labelled "Download FMS", along with a dropdown menu to select your desired format. You can choose from 12 formats, including FSX, PMDG, Level-D, Airbus X, etc.

I just signed up to Simbrief.com it's neat but there doesn't seem to be a download option that loads like a rte flight plan file into FSX like Simroutes use .

It does save to PMDG, FSX, Ivao, Airbus Extended, Quality Wings, Level D and other formats. I've been using and I'm really happy with it. Event he fuel calculations are pretty good.

for the record, fsbuild works fine with win7 64-bit. as far as i know it is still actively developed, it just hasn't needed any fixes for ages since it just works.

pfpx does look really nice though, i will probably pick that up one of these days. for now i use fsbuild and simbrief and i'm i happy camper.

cheers

-andy crosby