Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Do I have to restart FSX each time I want to fly a new flight?

I remember being told or reading somewhere that PMDG aircraft don't like to fly twice, and I could have misunderstood it, but do I really have to restart FSX every time I want to load a new flight with PMDG?

Patrick Boynton

Absolutely not;

I sometimes fly 4 to 6 legs in a session without ever restarting FSX or even reloading a panel state. This is with the NGX and all while connected to the PilotEdge ATC network flying for the ATP Experience "Excel", where we shoot for 15 to 20 minute turns.

If you're experiencing crashing then you have some other problem.

Dave

Dave Paige

Agree with Dave; no need to reboot FSX after flying 737NGX or 777. There must be some other problems.

I remember being told or reading somewhere that PMDG aircraft don't like to fly twice, and I could have misunderstood it, but do I really have to restart FSX every time I want to load a new flight with PMDG?

Patrick Boynton

Hi Patrick,

I'm a little unclear what type of situation you have in mind. 

If you have flown one flight and landed, taxied to a gate or ramp, you should be able to enter a new flight plan, change the fuel and payload, and take off again on a new leg without any FSX restart.

However if you already have the NGX or PMDG 777 loaded -- or really if you have any complex aircraft loaded -- and you then load a new flight from the FSX menu, or switch PMDG liveries or PMDG aircraft, you are likely to run into problems, such as aircraft won't power up, strange behavior by instruments, etc.   In these situations it's better to restart FSX.  You can also try loading the default Trike-Ultralite/Friday Harbor flight and then selecting the PMDG aircraft you want or loading the PMDG-aircraft situation you want.  You can also try switching to a default Cessna in between.

Hope this isn't too confusing!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike has summed it up

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The main reason you want to restart fsx is to clear the vas. If I fly from uk2000 egll to aerosoft eidw, there would be no way I could start a second flight without restarting fsx. I would run OOM in about 5-10 minutes

Pierre W

The main reason you want to restart fsx is to clear the vas. If I fly from uk2000 egll to aerosoft eidw, there would be no way I could start a second flight without restarting fsx. I would run OOM in about 5-10 minutes

You should see if you have OOM problems before shutting down FSX after every leg.  Some people have this issue, some don't.  Also, if you search the PMDG forums you will find a lot of information on avoiding OOMs.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Not necessarily unless your doing non-stop flights between highly detailed airports and sceneries, however i have never had to do that upto date 

Regards

Aaqib Afzal

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

no need at all.

I did a small trip ENBR-ENGM-ENBR again.

FSX sees this in the pilot records as two separate flights. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

You should see if you have OOM problems before shutting down FSX after every leg.  Some people have this issue, some don't.  Also, if you search the PMDG forums you will find a lot of information on avoiding OOMs.

Mike

I monitor my vas using procex so I know what my vas is at all times and using the 777 and some high detail airports its not possible to fly multiple legs without shutting down fsx. Some people are already having problems completing a leg let alone multiple

I monitor my vas using procex so I know what my vas is at all times and using the 777 and some high detail airports its not possible to fly multiple legs without shutting down fsx. Some people are already having problems completing a leg let alone multiple

I am sorry you are having OOM problems.  Not everyone does.  I have landed and then taken off from UK 2000 Extreme EGLL more than once without experiencing OOM -- in fact I have never experienced an OOM and I often fly long-haul flights.  I don't have a super high-powered setup.  Unless someone is experiencing OOMs there is no reason to restart FSX after every leg of a flight.  This thread is not about OOMs; the O.P. is asking about when he needs to restart FSX.

If you search the top level PMDG forum for thread titles with "out of memory" (put it in quotes or else the search function will drop small words like "out" and "of") you will find a great deal of discussion of OOM problems.  Also some important information in the 777 introductory manual. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I am sorry you are having OOM problems.  Not everyone does.  I have landed and then taken off from UK 2000 Extreme EGLL more than once without experiencing OOM -- in fact I have never experienced an OOM and I often fly long-haul flights.  I don't have a super high-powered setup.  Unless someone is experiencing OOMs there is no reason to restart FSX after every leg of a flight.  This thread is not about OOMs; the O.P. is asking about when he needs to restart FSX.

If you search the top level PMDG forum for thread titles with "out of memory" (put it in quotes or else the search function will drop small words like "out" and "of") you will find a great deal of discussion of OOM problems.  Also some important information in the 777 introductory manual. 

Mike

I dont have a problem with OOM. I take steps to ensure I dont. I usually disable all airports except the 2 I'm using. And since it take me about 2-5 minutes to restart fsx its not really an issue. Like I said I monitor my vas and sometime I land my vas is 3.5 so trying to fly to another highly detail airport is asking for trouble and I dont want to take that chance after setting everything up and getting under way.

I know the thread is not about OOM but that can be an issue when flying the 777 on multiple legs without a restart

Pierre w

When you compare a separate Windows logon ID with absolutely minimal loading of applications and utilities; A clean new start to FSX (or P3D), and the initializations that follow, you are incredibly close to the time and effort typically spent for pre-flight in real life.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I like to start my flights fresh and clean.....So I restart my FSX every time I start a new flight......It might not be necessary but it makes me feel comfortable ...and I do not experience any type of errors so far :)

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5