Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

Looking for a new weather engine, wait for REX4 Weather Direct or?

If one was to go with Opus Or Active Sky Next for a weather engine,  would you then mix it with REX Essential Plus Overdrive for textures and sky color?    Or do i have that completely wrong?

If one was to go with Opus Or Active Sky Next for a weather engine,  would you then mix it with REX Essential Plus Overdrive for textures and sky color?    Or do i have that completely wrong?

You could.  In my case I would be dumping REX Ess + OD since I have REX4 for textures now and especially for DX10 with the water textures and wave animations REX4 is wayyyyyyyyy better than REX Ess + OD for DX10.  Well, at least I think it is.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

In my case I would be dumping REX Ess + OD since I have REX4 for textures now and especially for DX10 with the water textures and wave animations REX4 is wayyyyyyyyy better than REX Ess + OD for DX10.

No need to dump rexe  if you got rex4    since  you can mix  and match textures between the both of  the programs to suit your pc,  ie  if you think the clouds are better in rexe  use  them  and the water as you say from rex4 use them. 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi have you found a work around for when you go to spot plane view as it is wicked loud (way to much vibration) compared to the VC - tried a bunch of things but nothing working - any help would be much appreciated - have your settings plugged in right now just have to figure this out - thank you

I think I got it had to turn opus volume down to 1 and then play with p3d sound settings as I do not use DHM and it says you have to but I use ezdok so it still doing something as its much better with it enabled than without also I am not using a usb sound card 

Don't have any issues while in spot view, Rich... I know, that is the biggest turn off about OpusFSI, the fact that the UI is not very friendly. Sometimes having too many options can be a bad thing. I only use it for the BK option and if I could find a much friendlier way of doing it, I would drop Opus all together.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Yep I'll probably check out both.  Oh and yeah I should have been more clear, I was definitely talkinq about OpusFSI vs. the others when I was asking.  I wouldn't want to buy/compare against an older version of Opus.

As I suggested in my post #2, try the demos for yourself rather than relying on opinions of others who probably haven't tried both.

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

If this information was posted elsewhere, my apologies. I understand that REX Weather Direct will select and cause to be injected, textures based on location and conditions. That might be something worth waiting for.

By all means, try the demos of ASN and Opus. Also, don't forget about FS Global Real Weather.

As mentioned earlier, put them through their paces and form your own opinions. I would stay away from developers' forums to decide which to acquire. Sometimes too many fan boys. Sometimes too many haters. Not dissing anyone or anything. We all have the right to speak. A lot of good questions and advice. Just dedicated forums seem to arouse passion. Of course after your decision, the dedicated forums can provide a wealth of knowledge.

Just my two cents worth (I have all of them): ASN best weather engine (prone to occasional crashing in p3d v2 and seems to be a bit finicky in a network scenario). Opus most versatile (I think their cameras are excellent, but overall configuration is complex...too many options?). FSGRW is simple to operate and you can request that local weather phenomena be modelled. No idea on REX Weather Direct. Doesn't exist yet.

I am impressed with the well balanced comments in this post.

Graham

Hi all,

I know I should not comment here, just one remark about the demos (since I just lurked around here): The potential customer has to take into account if the demos provided are equivalent in how they offer the user the ability to test the application or if any restrictions exist (that may or may not hide actual application deficiencies).

I'd also like to applaud each one of you for one of the scarce threads where a balanced discussion is performed, I'd like however individual experiences not to be generalized if possible, since this gives the wrong impression about a product ("prone to occasional crashing"  is a typical example of this and completely different to "I had issues with occasional crashing"). Of course each one is entitled to his opinion and is free to express it in whatever way he likes, so I am out of here (shouldn't be here in the first place I think) :) 

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Kostas,

Fair comment. I should have stated that the experiences were mine alone. For the record, I use ASN and I am quite happy with the program and the support from HiFi. This does not diminish in any way, the other fine rograms that are available.

Graham

I have several weather engines Including OPUS and  ASN is by far and away the best weather program I have used. 

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Thanks guys.  I think right now it's going to be between ASN and potentially REX4 depending on how it looks when released.  I've been playing with the ASN demo so far and like it.  I took a look at Opus and I think I'm going to put it in #3 for now.  I don't need the camera stuff so I don't really want to pay for a big feature that I'll never use like that.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Thanks guys.  I think right now it's going to be between ASN and potentially REX4 depending on how it looks when released.  I've been playing with the ASN demo so far and like it.  I took a look at Opus and I think I'm going to put it in #3 for now.  I don't need the camera stuff so I don't really want to pay for a big feature that I'll never use like that.

The camera stuff is just a nice bonus as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't call it a 'big feature'. Its a weather engine primarily.

I was/am getting fed up with waiting on the update for REX Essentials which should initially fix the map not displaying issue. This has been outstanding for ages. Their forum leads to false hopes akin to: 'Bear with us'. 'It will be amazing, just wait'..

Then there's getting fed up of waiting on REX Weather Direct. 

I downloaded the ASN for a trial and had a headache trying to set it up on my network PC setup for FSX. It that had worked first, second, third or maybe forth, they would have got my money, but it didn't. 

So rather cut my nose off to spite my face, I'm stuck waiting on the Essentials update.