Sign in to follow this  
vbazillio

Still no SLI support in nvidia 344.65 ;-)

I am tempted to wonder just how important revenue from the sales of Prepar3D licences is to LM. I could be mistaken, but my understanding was that Prepar3D was originally developed in-house with the intention of providing a cost-effective flight training tool for LM employees. However, it soon became apparent that the sim had so much more potential to attract customers outside LM and this has since become the established norm. Consequently any revenue generated could be seen as a welcome bonus which certainly must help offset the costs of ongoing development.

However, as I said, I could be way off the mark with this one.

Over to you, Gerry....LOL!

Mike.

I always thought the P3D project was so small in comparison to what the rest of the company does that it was kind of like the billionaire who decided to hand-grow a small patch of strawberry's on his porch: just an idle whim.

He might get interested, and go buy a strawberry farm! Or he might get bored and just let his little patch wither in the sun while hes away on vacation.

Even he doesn't know.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hi Devon, you wish. It's more like the stable boy of said billionaire decided to grow a sunflower. I estimate the project cost at 2,5 mil $ a year, tops. Thats about 0,006 percent  of LM's income. Damn, I already said that. Sorry, getting old.

LORBY-SI

This is not good, actually. No revenue to be made and extremely hard to justify to controlling if the going gets tough. I've been there and I feel for the project manager in charge of P3D. He/she does an amazing job!

Lockheed Martin almost certainly have a mechanisim to price "inter-departmental transfer pricing" to allocate costs between depatrments. that will be the base accounting for the revenue/surpuls or whatever.

...my understanding was that Prepar3D was originally developed in-house with the intention of providing a cost-effective flight training tool for LM employees

I also I understand to be used  by Lockeed Martin  to support commercial training projects. Those can raise a significant revenue.

The annual salary  of a student and of f trainer will each about $50,000. Allowing for overheads, that's about $200,000 for each Prepar3D seat.There'll be costs, such as organising the training programs and the cost of support.  that mean four Prepar3D seats would cost about $1 million.

I retired as  Chief Engineer of an engineering consulting. We had support ccntracts on all our software from Microsoft downwards.  Our projects  commonly had liquidated damages of more $10,000/day - that's why we mitigated the risksof computer problems. We dealt with our software suppliers directly and spoke to nominated developers' staff. We even had developers come out to our offices.  Obviously, we'd never even think getting support from a forum!  Obviously that level support  wasn't cheap but was well worth in in terms of businesss.

That's were the real costs are - The cost of a $200 licence is irelevant in this case.

Forgive me if I did not read it right. I read the response of the LM P3D boards about having all the features ready in P3D to support SLI...just waiting on NVIDIA...  Waiting on them to create an official profile?  I understand we cam make our own SLI profile?

But nVidia has access to hidden driver settings that they tweak to get better scaling in SLI for a specific 3D app. Run nVidia Inspector (which exposes these hidden settings to the user) and look at the main section entitled "Undefined". If we only knew what values to set there, we would be golden. As an example, the recent release Call of Duty Advanced Warfare has 13 of these settings. Not all have to do with SLI, but some probably do. Then there are also 8 driver settings to contend with in the SLI section, not the least of which is the SLI mode setting.

But nVidia has access to hidden driver settings that they tweak to get better scaling in SLI for a specific 3D app. Run nVidia Inspector (which exposes these hidden settings to the user) and look at the main section entitled "Undefined". If we only knew what values to set there, we would be golden. As an example, the recent release Call of Duty Advanced Warfare has 13 of these settings. Not all have to do with SLI, but some probably do. Then there are also 8 driver settings to contend with in the SLI section, not the least of which is the SLI mode setting.

If these settings are not connected through their values we could find out, but if settings are connected through specific values it would be a needle in a haysteck.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I would like to see this thread stacked up against anything over on the Goat Simulator forums (GoSim?).  I've been thoroughly schooled in everything including economics, demographics, business, programming, speculation, just to name a few.  You've gotta love the flight sim community!

Ryan

Ryan

... it would be a needle in a haysteck.

Yep. It's Nvidia's haystack so that's why they have to find the best settings. P3d already has an SLI profile, but I can't remember any changes to the Undefined settings going from P3d 1.4 to 2.0. The SLI section settings are all driver default which to me means that the app defines the SLI mode, etc. internally.

Drivers 344.75 out, no sign of P3D

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Probably too soon to expect that miracle to materialise. Perhaps next time or timed to coincide with the release of Prepar3D v2.5 which is, according to LM, SLI ready now.

Keep up the pressure folks!

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/455404-prepar3d-sli-support-i-have-a-dream-let-our-voice-be-heard/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/477765/sli/official-nvidia-sli-profile-request-thread/

Mike

Drivers 344.75 out, no sign of P3D

These drivers were to add MFAA mode I believe, and correct some issues that popped up in the last drivers, which is why these came out so quickly after the very recent update.

Besides, did anyone really think Nvidia was going to hop right on the SLI for P3D thing? I would would be surprised if it didn't take months, at least..

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The PC version of COD Advanced Warfare has some driver-related bugs with 344.65 and I suspect this update was also released in an attempt to pacify the masses. And this update accommodates just-released games like Far Cry 4, etc.. It's that time of year again.