Sign in to follow this  
TheNerd

Disable Scenery When Not in Use?

Or just leave everything alone because except for photoscenery none of this does anything really.

I think some of the FTX/Orbx scenery has photoscenery. I know PNW Seattle is photoscenery anyway. I ran Process Monitor in a flight from Chicago to St Louis some time back and saw that Orbx scenery was being processed even though it was not loaded in the PNW. Turned out to be Orbx .bgl's in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder (Autogen). I never did enable the FTX utility to see if the PNW scenery would load even though I was located in Chicago.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Using Simstarter I keep it simple, just  2 profiles, 1 No photo and normal settings and 2 Just photo and the best settings for it..easy

ZORAN

I've got over 300 sceneries, that's a lot of sceneries to untick!

:lol:

Lee

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have 326 entries in mine and it was a lot to untick the first time. After I did it once it was done for good. Now I only have to tick and untick a few every time I fly.

I have my scenery library arranged strating from west to east, west starting on the west coast of the US and east ending in Australia/Asia. Since its arranged in this order it makes finding stuff easy to tick and untick.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Jim is right, never touch the FTX sceneries manually. You can set simstarter to leave them alone and only manage them via their own control panel.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

What problems are caused if FTX scenery is manually enabled and disabled in the Scenery Menu? How would I disable some FTX airfields when FTX Central only seems to let me activate or deactivate regions?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

With FTX it is all-or-nothing. Disabling any airfields is going to even do less of nothing than disabling regions.. Hard to think that people believe that they are doing something good here, except in the case of photoscenery.

I found after disabling some complex add on airports such as Flytampa, FSDT, and others I had to uninstall and reinstall the airports. After enabling I would have terminals missing and sometimes blacked out areas. I now only uncheck the photo areas I won't use and leave everything else alone. 

Vic green

I found after disabling some complex add on airports such as Flytampa, FSDT, and others I had to uninstall and reinstall the airports. After enabling I would have terminals missing and sometimes blacked out areas. I now only uncheck the photo areas I won't use and leave everything else alone.

That's impossible to happen to FlyTampa sceneries just by enabling or disabling, however there is a reason it happens with Flightbeam and FSDT sceneries.

It has been documented by Umberto at the FSDT forum that if you disable an FSDT or Flightbeam scenery do a flight then exit FSX. Then upon starting FSX you enable the scenery and start a flight that you will get the missing buildings. What you have to do for FSDT or Flightbeam sceneries after you re-enable them is to quit FSX and then start FSX again. Once you do that the sceneries you re-enable will be active again and the buildings will show as they should.

Too bad you spent all that time uninstalling and reinstalling when a simple restart of FSX would have solved it, but at least now you know the procedures.

Or just leave everything alone because except for photoscenery none of this does anything really.

I agree with Jim as photoscenery is really the only VAS killer since it loads everywhere regardless of you position in the sim, which has also been verified. Most airports usually load and unload around 10nm from either entering or exiting their vicinity. The only time disabling a lot of sceneries might help is if they are all in close proximity of each other, like in the NYC area.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I found after disabling some complex add on airports such as Flytampa, FSDT, and others I had to uninstall and reinstall the airports. After enabling I would have terminals missing and sometimes blacked out areas.

Ah so that's why after I landed at KIAD the terminals were missing. I reinstalled and they reappeared. I won't make the mistake of deactivating scenery layers again in a forlorn attempt to increase VAS. As Jim and others have rightly pointed out doing this makes absolutely no difference expect where photo-realistic scenery is involved.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Time for some more experiments. I will only activate and deactivate photoscenery regions during my test flights, and see if there is any difference compared to how I have been doing it before. Just to be clear......I can have all of my FTX EU scenery and airfields, plus every other airport and airfield package enabled in the Scenery Menu, and it will not make any difference whatsoever to VAS (when compared to switching them off)? I have been activating all of the scenery packages that are relevant to each area that I have been flying in.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I can have all of my FTX EU scenery and airfields, plus every other airport and airfield package enabled in the Scenery Menu, and it will not make any difference whatsoever to VAS (when compared to switching them off)?

That has been my experience in the past, VAS usage difference with scenery enabled/disabled has been marginal at best as long as no photo scenery is involved.

Richard Åsberg

The issue I had with the FlyTampa (kbos kmdw kbuf) was large  dark areas would appear near the ends of runways. I had to reinstall to get rid of them. In retrospect this may have been because I had them installed on an external SSD. That external seems to work for photo real but not airports. I put those back on my C drive. These areas where large vertical black areas that reminded me of the ape man scene in 2001 Space Odyssey. Come to think of it, if I stared at them I got this strange urge to grab a club, jump up and down and beat the ground.  

Vic green