Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

777 OOM - depleted VAS (my brand)

Thanks for the clarification!

Could you please tell me where to find the KLAX.txt - file in order to edit the missed approach procedures like going direct to CATLY?

Christian Baldauf

Thanks for the clarification!

Could you please tell me where to find the KLAX.txt - file in order to edit the missed approach procedures like going direct to CATLY?

It is in the PMDG/SIDSTARS folder. I think direct CATLY has been tried before and it didn't work. See the lower part of post #223  I think that was using the FMC. Maybe if the text file itself is changed it will work. Or you could use KLAX.txt from a prior AIRAC cycle that is know to work. Either way KLAX.txt will need to be changed every time a new cycle it installed.

I am having the same issue. I just rolled back to 1412.

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

How is 1412 working out? I am using 1407 R2 KLAX.txt

How is 1412 working out?
I will test tomorrow. Getting late. I have rolled back to cycle 1412, not just the KLAX txt file.

I hope this can be sorted soon.

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

How can a FMC route cause a VAS leak?

The $64,000 question :)

Thanks for posting and sharing your experience also.

(And I'm sure there are still some skeptics, since this doesn't seem to affect all users - maybe just us few unlucky ones.)

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Let me know, 1413 gives me the exact same issue so maybe 1412 won't fix it.

Hi,

I would just like to say thank you SO MUCH for posting this. I have been having the same problem for days with the T7 and I finally found that my OOMs are caused by the ILS 25R app in KLAX I select in the FMS before I go to bed.

Originally, I flew KLAX-EGLL, which gave me my first OOM in a long time. However, it was approaching EGLL, and the sim didn’t freeze. I had the warning and had the time to save and come back. After that flight, I did the basics to resolve OOMs; only activate the scenery I’m flying to (and from), not use photoscenery, reduce the TML to 1024, LOD 4.5, etc etc. I have NOT tried reinstalling ASN yet.

Some of you might find this unrealistic but I usually take-off before bed and land when I get up. I do not like using time compression at all. Anyway, I decided to fly my trip back to KLAX (EGLL-KLAX) after my OOM fixes. I thought I would not get an OOM. I hadn’t had one in years, and after just one, I had just applied a bunch of fixes.

Over the Atlantic Ocean, apparently 2.5 hours after departure, FSX froze with an OOM error. I was completely puzzled. I then tried a few other OOM tips from online, such as clearing the shader cache and reducing my graphic options (I reduced autogen, basically) I was slightly annoyed to lower the options because my sim is not even lagging, and I’m happy with the way it looks. But I had to do it anyway, I wanted to test my VAS problems. I did the exact same flight the night after, and crashed to desktop, 4.5 hours after starting, with no error message. I just woke up to my desktop; there was nothing in AppCrashView either. I assumed it was still an OOM problem.

I’m using PFPX I recently bought, and it was suggesting I would be landing on 24s or 25s in KLAX. So I would ALWAYS use the same, 25R ILS, just because that’s what PFPX suggested. When I get a crash, I try to reproduce the exact same flight.

As usual, I set up the 25R approach before I went to bed last night. I spent a little bit of time doing other stuff in the house and when I returned, I was still over the Atlantic, but using 3.2 GB of VAS according to Process Explorer. I thought that was a lot, since on the ground I was using 2.5GB (the number usually goes down over the Atlantic). I checked about 30 minutes later, and I was using 3.4GB. This made no sense. I was above the Atlantic! Why would it increase so fast! I would certainly not make it to LA without a CTD. I could see it coming.

I stumbled upon your post and thought to myself that I could be ASN, as I have never reinstalled it and I have installed the PMDG center updates. But then, I saw your posts about KLAX and ended up doing 1 thing that fixed the OOM. I just switched to the ILS 24L. Still above the Atlantic, I had 3.3 to 3.4 GB of VAS used, it had been constantly going up.  I came back to my PC half an hour later and the VAS was at 3.2GB! That’s still high, but at least I had stopped the 100-200MB/hour leak. In this special case only (I hate doing it and never do it), I decided to save and reopen flight sim, because I didn’t want to fly the rest of the flight with only 800 MB available. I thought that maybe the sim had leaked so much before I fixed it that I would still crash. Upon launching the sim, I was at the same place but using 1.8GB of VAS. I just woke up and it’s still flying, using 2.2GBs.

There you go! That’s it! I lost 400 mb in 7 hours (which is normal I suppose, I was over the ocean and now I’m over land. It had to load something) when I had lost 0.9GB in about 1 hour last night while flying over nothing (when I had 25R selected).

Selecting the 24L approach instantly stopped the leak. I don’t have much time so I have not tested other approaches, but my flight has not worked for 3 attempts at all, and now it is because of your advice. I can’t believe the approach is actually causing the leak. This is so weird.

I am using my latest data I have by the way, which is 1413 for me. So same problem as the 1503 I guess. I won’t update it for now.

If you want any more details, let me know… I was getting so annoyed by this and I am very happy to know I’m not alone. Thank you so much for this! I am flying ANZ1, so my next leg is KLAX-NZAA. I should not have any problems, but I will continue monitoring VAS usage.

Thank you,

Philippe Hewett

EDIT: Reinstalling ASN, do I have to deactivate it or something first? I don't want it to think I'm installing my licence on multiple PCs.

Edited by PhilH

Originally, I flew KLAX-EGLL, which gave me my first OOM in a long time. However, it was approaching EGLL, and the sim didn’t freeze. I had the warning and had the time to save and come back. After that flight, I did the basics to resolve OOMs; only activate the scenery I’m flying to (and from), not use photoscenery, reduce the TML to 1024, LOD 4.5, etc etc. I have NOT tried reinstalling ASN yet.

This is the type of OOM FSXSE really helps to prevent! With FSX Classic, FSX loads the origin scenery into it's VAS, after takeoff and enroute it should release it, but it doesn't So if you look at the amount available enroute, you'll probably see not much has changed. Now on approach FSX has to load in all the destination scenery, which i where we start running into problems. Not only is there limited space for it, the largest contiguous space in VAS is probably smaller, which increases the chance for an OOM even more. FSXSE now on the otherhand, releases at least some of the accumalated address space no longer needed. So you'll actully see the amount of VAS available enroute significantly increase. On approach and landing, you will see it decrease again, as it loads in the destination scenery, but by then you have a larger cushion so you should make it. The inly area I've came close to OOMing was the 25L KLAX approaches discussed in this thead, and departing EHAM which I think is a similar issue to the KLAX issue. I've flown a number of flights short and long with the T7 and now the NGX and usually land with about 500MB or more avauilable VAS at gate arrival. Add to that the performance increases and smoothness of the sim and I couldn't be happier I'm flying the T7 and NGX with scenery set to extremely dense, autogen set to Very dense with 100% WOAI traffic. With FSX Classic, I had to fly with  Autogen set to Sparse to even have a chance to make it anywhere in the T7. (NGX was a little better) Not bad with a 3Ghz C2D running on 32bit Vista which according to PMDG, they don't even support. BTW from what I've been reading, and some videos I've seen, P3D V2.5, seems to have implemented similar VAS management efficiencies and are achieving similar results to FSXSE.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

If you want any more details, let me know… I was getting so annoyed by this and I am very happy to know I’m not alone. Thank you so much for this! I am flying ANZ1, so my next leg is KLAX-NZAA. I should not have any problems, but I will continue monitoring VAS usage.

Glad to hear the findings on this thread helped you!

Please definitely share if you find another airport/approach with these symptoms. So far we've definitely identified ILS 25L/25R/7L/7R at KLAX and possibly ILS 22L at KJFK (at least on my system but I need to do some more verification testing.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I think Kyle is correct with the assumption that the version of NAVDATA installed contributes to the VAS leakage and ultimate OOM when approaching KLAX.

With 1503 I started to experience OOMs when approaching KLAX for the first time. I lowered my FSX settings and repeated the same flight from KIAH (Flightbeam) to KLAX (FSDT) and observed VAS usage using Sysinternal Process Explorer. ASN was the weather platform used.

I observed the gradual increase in VAS which coincided with imputing the approach and destination runway while enroute to KLAX. The arrival SEAVU 2 for 25L. On final OOM. This could be reproduced again and again.

I then rolled back to 1412, increased my FSX settings including autogen and then repeated the flight. No OOM with VAS after landing 3237204.

On the runway at KIAH prior to takeoff, VAS was 2761708 which dropped to 2740884 2 hours into the flight.

I have no idea why this has occurred but rolling back the NAVDATA from 1503 to 1412 has allowed me to again fly to KLAX without running out of memory.

Andrew Dixon

Reinstalling ASN, do I have to deactivate it or something first? I don't want it to think I'm installing my licence on multiple PCs.
I have done 3 full installs of ASN plus the RTM and SPs' and never deactivated it. So I guess the answer is no.

Hello Dicko,

thanks for sharing your experience regarding the older Navigraph cycle!

It would be great if you told me how to roll back the navigation data. I use the Navigraph cycles.

I haven't found a way to do that so far - is there an option in the Navigraph download manager?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Chris

Christian Baldauf

I'm maaaybe in on the Airac issue here. I thought maybe the new release of NGX caused my insane VAS usage, but I reinstalled in without installing the new Airac cycle and everything was back to normal. However, I don't know whether the issues were caused by a faulty install or the Airac 1503. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

new release of NGX caused my insane VAS usage

It is my understanding this issue is with 777 not NGX

Hello Dicko,

thanks for sharing your experience regarding the older Navigraph cycle!

It would be great if you told me how to roll back the navigation data.

I keep a copy of all NAVDATA cycles I use. Check your PM.

Andrew Dixon