Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

HD Mesh Scenery v3 for X-Plane 10 released

Banff looks so different now. Can't believe it superb

No more trees on the runway :)

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Just want to add my thanks for all this amazing work you've done.

I downloaded a lot of the torrents that came out originally, and although I don't know the technical ins and outs of the process, I know I ought to leave them to seed until at least the share ratio hits one.  However, none of them are being used and I'm guessing this is from the problems above.  Is there any way for the new torrent files to seed my already downloaded zip files or would I have to download again and then seed.  Sorry if I'm unclear, and thanks again.

I downloaded a lot of the torrents that came out originally, and although I don't know the technical ins and outs of the process, I know I ought to leave them to seed until at least the share ratio hits one.  However, none of them are being used and I'm guessing this is from the problems above.  Is there any way for the new torrent files to seed my already downloaded zip files or would I have to download again and then seed.  Sorry if I'm unclear, and thanks again.

The original torrents had some problems (wrote about this on the previous page) ... They have now been changed/fixed, but you need to re-donwload them to get to full speed!

The original torrents had some problems (wrote about this on the previous page) ... They have now been changed/fixed, but you need to re-donwload them to get to full speed!

Thanks, I've gone and downloaded some of the new ones.  What I'm wondering is if I can seed a file I've already downloaded with the new torrents without having to download the file again first.  I've tried using the update torrent feature but it just causes the program (uTorrent) to crash with a message about memory.  Thanks again and I'm loving the new updated torrents I've got going.

What I'm wondering is if I can seed a file I've already downloaded with the new torrents without having to download the file again first

You should be able to if the file is identical, yes.

I could not sleep hence I did a small test flight @KBFI using the KBFI airport from .org.  As I have downloaded that V3 area which covers Seattle and Vancouver and it seems to be behaving differently hence a question for Andras.

@alpilotx

I am using XPX on a laptop with a dedicated 1 GB Nvidia. I don't expect great performance but it's still flyable.

This maybe a stupid question or I am missing something.

Seattle area was always a heavy on the frames, but using V3 it does not seem to be the case.  Instead Vancouver / Banff areas are quite heavy on the GPU.  

Now what could be the reason ? Is it because of the mountainous terrain in Vancouver / Banff ?

I have down clocked to 1.6 Ghz  due to heat.

@Ironmaiden: ... FPS analysis in X-Plane can be very complex as there are many, complex combinations of possible reasons to slow down your sim (especially if you machine is not the highest performing ... in those cases there are thin-edge-cases, where you can easily tip over that edge and have FPS plummeting very deep).

BUT: are you also 100% sure, that the Seattle area of HD Mesh Scenery v3 is correctly installed? Can you confirm this by using my instructions here:

AND: especially in Seattle, it can happen, that the "KSEA demo terrain" in the scenery_packs.ini is ABOVE your HD MEsh Scenery. In that case, you only see default Global Scenery, because the "KSEA demo terrain" contains a few, local, mesh DSFs (identical to default Global Scenery tiles). So, check this, and possibly move "KSEA demo terrain" to the bottom (below HD Mesh Scenery v3) ... and no, deleting it completely is a bad idea, because it will be reinstalled the next time you run the X-Plane updater (and then it will also be added on top of scenery_packs.ini).

All in all ... I do NOT think that anywhere HD Mesh Scenery v3 would be easier on FPS than v2 (there is definitely much stuff to render in v3!).

@alpilotx

Thanks for the reponse.

I am using V3 in a different manner and thanks to Tony for that saves a lot of space. I have removed all XPX default global Scenery and I am only using V3.

But I can try again later in the evening once I reach home.  I can try on both the Desktop and the laptop with the same settings.

@alpilotx

Thanks for the reponse.

I am using V3 in a different manner and thanks to Tony for that saves a lot of space. I have removed all XPX default global Scenery and I am only using V3.

But I can try again later in the evening once I reach home.  I can try on both the Desktop and the laptop with the same settings.

OK .... just make sure you test the things I mentioned.

@alpilotx

roger.

Damn I left my seeding ON for the whole night and no takers :( guess no one wants Thunder Bay area.

Pilots I will try and seed what I have downloaded. Most of them was through web and only a couple of them through the torrents. So I will download the relevant torrent files from isdg and copy those downloaded zipped files to the location and hope fully it check and start seeding.

Probably just my imagination but it seems to me the HD texture are much worst at shimmering?

Probably just my imagination but it seems to me the HD texture are much worst at shimmering?

Then maybe you don't know, that HD Mesh Scenery (any version) has no extra textures at all! It is using the exact same(*) set of textures like the default Global Scenery. Effectively its based on the same scenery generator technology (maybe you don't know, but I am a freelancer for Laminar and did lots of the work on the default Global Scenery) .... it just introduces a lot of improvements in detail and used input data, which in the end make the same set of artwork (textures, objects, forests) look much more realistic. But definitely no new textures here :rolleyes: ... so your observations must have - very likely - a different reason!

(*) : well this is not 100% correct ... During X-Plane 10.25 a few new default textures have been added (snow/ice, riverbed, mining) which are not in use in the - current - default Global Scenery (which was cut before those texture were introduced ... and thus can't know about them and so can't use them) but are used widely in HD Mesh Scenery v2/v3 ... (and possibly in the handful of re-cut, default DSF tiles updated in 10.30).

You should be able to if the file is identical, yes.

The old torrents are now working so all is good, thanks again for all your hard work.  Now for the fun part :)

X'mas to all.

Hello everybody and Merry Xmas

I'm new to XPlane and I have a doubt: is it possible to use world2xplane scenery generator together with hd mesh v3?

Greetings  :rolleyes: