Sign in to follow this  
airernie

Loss of Airspeed indicator and power

Recently I've been experiencing an issue with my Carenado and Microsoft C-172's where I suffer a loss of power and the Airspeed Indicator drops to zero, usually shortly after takeoff.  Turning on the carb or pitot heat sometimes help.

I'm a bit confused why this is happening because I don't have failures turned on and it just seems to have started occuring for no reason.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing it?

Thanks,

Ernie

Carb and pitot heat are usually your go-to answers. I'd turn carb heat on almost right after take-off, and turn pitot heat on while still on the ground.

Perhaps flying from a high altitude airfield without the mixture leaned or climbing close to the 172's ceiling?

IAN

The ASI falling to zero definitely sounds like ice in the pitot tube.  Falling engine power can also be a sign of icing as well as incorrect mixture setting.  Fuel injected engines actually do not suffer from carburetor icing, but in MicroSoft's flight sims they do.

I had assumed that neither Microsoft or Carenado modeled failures unless they were explicity specified.  I keep learning. :-)