Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Seriously thinking to ditch all payware airports...

Ok, I've just bought Instant Scenery. Wow. Its a whole new world to me, but IS has let me jump into Orbx England and add key landmarks in my local flying area and local town. Now I can really see me having fiun with this. I love the camp site idea!!

Instant Scenery is indeed amazing program, makes object placement so much easier than it would be otherwise.

For those who feel like taking a step further by designing their own objects I would definitely recommend FS Design Studio from Abacus. From all 3D modeling programs out there I think it has the lowest learning curve, yet it has enough capabilities for all needs of an average scenery / aircraft developer. 

Of course some basic image editing program like GIMP / Coral Paint Shop Pro is also needed if you aren't planning to use stock textures. 

For those who feel like taking a step further by designing their own objects I would definitely recommend FS Design Studio from Abacus. From all 3D modeling programs out there I think it has the lowest learning curve, yet it has enough capabilities for all needs of an average scenery / aircraft developer.

...as well as Instant Object Studio.  If the objects you're making are not complex (it will handle most just fine...just don't do a lot of 'slices')  then you can make them directly in FSX and import them into Instant Scenery BGLs and copy and paste like a mad man.  LOL.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

You can also place objects in ADE (Airport Design Editor) and it's a freeware, but it's a bit complex and you can't preview them in real time in FSX.

By the way, I've disabled ALL payware airports, and went to check some of bigger defaults (LSZH for example) and noticed that there is much more AI planes than at Aerosoft's Zurich, to be precise it was PACKED with AI, almost all gates were occupied. In most payware mayor airports I've checked, AI occupies maybe 30-50% of parking spots.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I've done this as well ever since I made the move to DX10.  My system is low end for FSX.  Using the default airports, I'm able to have a higher traffic setting.  I'm thinking about trying out airport vehicles and see how that affects the frames.

I do agree with some posters saying payware airports add so much more immersion.  However, for someone like me with a lower end system, experiencing poor fps/stutters can ruin the experience.

The OP also mentioned DX10 compatibility with some airports.  This could also be an issue if you're running DX10 exclusively.

I plan on running payware airports again in the future when I upgrade my pc.  I fly mostly lite commercial jets.  Easy on fps. 

When I want to fly my tubes into big payware hubs completely maxed out and super smooth, it's FS9 all the way.

I fly both FS 9 and FS X. I have no payware airports in my FS X except Caribbean destinations. But I do have at least 100 freeware airports and every airport payware enhancement product I can find. In FS 9 I have a good number of payware airports and even more freeware. I run GE, UT, FSGenisis, ASN and ASE, so both systems are full house for scenery and wx.I have a high end system so I tool around pegged at 30 everywhere I go. If I feel like a flight into LAX or JFK, LGA, London, or some such I usually use FS 9. That way I get a great flight, no threat of crashes, and silk smooth hand flying. Or if I feel like a Caribbean trip, or western US trip, I fly FS X and still have silk smooth flying into a smaller airport like JAC. I fly IFLY NG X in both and some PMDG NGX as well. Also smaller aircraft. VFR flights I use FSX exclusively. FS 9 fully loaded may not be quite as nice as FS X but it's darn close and still a dream come true for a simmer who dates back to FS 98.

Another free tool for placing objects and other stuff:

http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/whisplacer.html

Also has a "live preview" function.

I heard of that app, and downloaded it few months ago, but never used it. You opened my eyes now, I didn't knew that this is the same as Instant Scenery, as far as I can see in some YT tuturial videos. Awesome freeware tool! Let the overhauling begins!

Thanks mate.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Thanks mate.

'Welcome.

Placing single objects can also be done with ModelConverterX, but you'll need to have .mdl files for that.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I will summarise now default vs. addon airports discussion, for new and other simmers mostly to get their heads around. :)

Payware detailed airports:

1. thinking what next airport to buy, depending where you want to fly. Be prepared to spend a lot of money.

2. limiting flights from/to only payware airports, because you probably will be sick of dull default airports after you get used to payware quality and detail.

3. browsing forums and looking for FPS/VAS info before you buy any new addon airport.

4. if no such info, you'll go buy it and then spent some time testing it, FPS hit and VAS usage. If FPS or VAS or both are not satisfying, then spend few hours looking for a solution, instead of flying.

5. There is always a possibility of some texture fault in DX10. If there are faults, again spending hours looking for a solution. The DX10 Scenery Fixer can fix 95% of texture faults though.

6. I'm using highly customised SweetFX bright preset, very close to RL visuals. 90% of payware airports have bright textures made for default FSX without SweetFX, resulting in blinding white textures all around sometimes. No such problem with default airport textures, and you can customize them via REX or similiar.

7. Some payware airports are not "compatible" with high resolution world mesh, resulting in wrong airport elevation with some short cliffs around airport. This can be fixed via ORBX Vector tool, but it's another thing that you must think of before you load the airport for the first time.

8. Fiddling with numerous layers in scenery library. Some airports will insert 3 and even 4 layers, so when you start playing with priorities you can easily make a mess mixing the layers and priorities resulting in some airport/scenery issues.

Default airports:

1. Fly!  :lol: Seriously, that's it, just load FSX, choose departure airport and fly. No issues, no nothing.

Of course there are drawbacks:

- Dull airports, no details, bad textures. You can somewhat ease that effect with airport vehicles set to low or higher.

- Possibility of outdated AFCAD and runway data.

Both things can be easily fixed:

- For details and objects, you can play with Instant Scenery or Whisplacer, it feels like playing SimCity.  :lol: Seriously it can be fun. Overhaul only airports that you will plan to visit, use google earth for reference data. For some this is a serious drawback, and for some it's fun because you are practically a scenery designer. For bad default airport textures (buildings, terminals, taxiways and runways) you can buy Zinertek HD Airport Graphics for complete coverage of good textures (VAS impact still unknown, if there is any), Cielosim HD pack for taxiways and runways, or Real Environment X (REX).

- For outdated AFCAD and runway data, you can play with Airport Design Editor (ADE), or check AVSIM library for default airport upgrades that will include updated AFCAD, runway and ILS data on the first place. Some upgrades will include also additional buildings and some objects with practically zero or very small fps hit. These upgrades in combination with Zinertek and REX textures will lift any default airport to a new level, for me an ideal solution.

Well, that's it. As you can see there are 8 possible "issues" you can encounter with payware airports. There is a chance that you will encounter none of these, and there is a chance you will encounter every single one of them, like me. Remember, I wrote these from my own experience after years in FSX with payware stuff. Default airports are designed to let you fly instantly without any issues, but as I said they can be dull and some of them have outdated data.

I decided to ditch all major payware airports I have installed for a sake of flying, smooth experience, and no thinking about issues anymore, for good.

That's it, I hope I helped you guys to make a smart decision.

cheers

snipped

I decided to ditch all major payware airports I have installed for a sake of flying, smooth experience, and no thinking about issues anymore, for good.

That's it, I hope I helped you guys to make a smart decision.

This time around, with a computer that meets today's needs, much more than my last, when FSX and X-Plane 8 were released...............I'm having a fun time with payware airports.  Just flew into  Orbx's KJAC  (Jackson Hole) yesterday, with my new Turbo Duke from RealAir. Nice, nice, nice.  A smooth ride and detail, 28-35 fps while in the airport, and in the 50's on the way out. Can hit around 200 fps sometimes. Same with XP-10. Settings are not all to the right, but they're certainly up there. It's the only way!  

This time around, with a computer that meets today's needs, much more than my last, when FSX and X-Plane 8 were released...............I'm having a fun time with payware airports.  Just flew into  Orbx's KJAC  (Jackson Hole) yesterday, with my new Turbo Duke from RealAir. Nice, nice, nice.  A smooth ride and detail, 28-35 fps while in the airport, and in the 50's on the way out. Can hit around 200 fps sometimes. Same with XP-10. Settings are not all to the right, but they're certainly up there. It's the only way!  

I forgot to mention that payware are the best choice when you are GA flyer, and want to purchase GA airfields packs, such as German VFR Airport Vol 1,2,3, Swiss Airfields Vol 1,2,3,4, etc. Very good choice for a value, you get few airfields, good fps.

But when you are mostly flying airliners and visiting at least 20 to 30 major airports, payware can be a pain in the a**, as I mentioned why. Just think of it, 20 x 20$ = 400$ ust on airports, at least. Not to mention any version of payware Heathrow with bunch of AI planes on airport will bring every system to its knees. Of course even default Heathrow with ton of AI is heavy on FPS and possibly VAS, but it will be berable.

I kept FlyLogic's Swiss Airfieds vol 1 and Birrfeld in FSX for now, but ditched big payware airports and hubs.

I forgot to mention that payware are the best choice when you are GA flyer, and want to purchase GA airfields packs, such as German VFR Airport Vol 1,2,3, Swiss Airfields Vol 1,2,3,4, etc. Very good choice for a value, you get few airfields, good fps.

But when you are mostly flying airliners and visiting at least 20 to 30 major airports, payware can be a pain in the a**, as I mentioned why. Just think of it, 20 x 20$ = 400$ ust on airports, at least. Not to mention any version of payware Heathrow with bunch of AI planes on airport will bring every system to its knees. Of course even default Heathrow with ton of AI is heavy on FPS and possibly VAS, but it will be berable.

I kept FlyLogic's Swiss Airfieds vol 1 and Birrfeld in FSX for now, but ditched big payware airports and hubs.

I'm nearly total GA. Was a real life airport "bum" as well as an aircraft owner for a good part of my life. Lived next to an airport for 11 years, and had a hangar there. I love these recreations of airports and surrounding areas, and have no desire to make them myself.  My real life flying was over the mountains and deserts of the western USA. Montana to the north, and Grand Canyon to the south.  It's probably the desire for payware airports, that have got me back into this hobby again. That.........and the sense of flight over well defined mountainous areas.

I think most people tend to buy payware airports they rarely visit, however, there are some airports that people fly to / from over and over again, particularly if you join a VA and fly on Vatsim.  For example if you are a member of British Airways Virtual you absolutely will need (and want) EGLL and EGKK.  Same goes for Virtual American and Chicago/Dallas or Delta and Atlanta.  

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Default airports:

1. Fly!  :lol: Seriously, that's it, just load FSX, choose departure airport and fly. No issues, no nothing.

2. Visual consistency across the globe.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days