Sign in to follow this  
era66

Flight Deck Procedure or Captain's Prerogatve?

I've noticed in real life flight deck videos that when the first officer lands a plane, and at the end of the roll-out, the captain takes control and does the taxi to terminal. I'm curious why this is?

EA

Elmo Acio

It's hard to replace the gray matter that is inherent in every human being. No computer can do it quite that well yet.

— General John P. Jumper, USAF Chief of Staff, 'Air Line Pilot' magazine, April 2007

Didn't know this . . . Makes sense.

Thanks Mark

EA

Elmo Acio

It's hard to replace the gray matter that is inherent in every human being. No computer can do it quite that well yet.

— General John P. Jumper, USAF Chief of Staff, 'Air Line Pilot' magazine, April 2007

Some airlines also don't want the FO taxiing, even if there is a tiller on his side.

The tiller on the side of the FO is often an option in airliners. The combination of whether or not it is present, and whether or not the company allows it, would generally be the deciding factor here.

Some airlines also don't want the FO taxiing

Why?

Beats me... Some rules don't really make sense, but I know a few airlines where taxiing needs to be done by the captain at all times, even if the FO has a tiller on his side.

It might be a training issue, though, since I'm not sure on whether or not it makes a different if the guy in the right hand seat has 3 or 4 bars on his shoulder.

Some airlines also don't want the FO taxiing, even if there is a tiller on his side.

The tiller on the side of the FO is often an option in airliners. The combination of whether or not it is present, and whether or not the company allows it, would generally be the deciding factor here.

Why some airline companies won't allow the first officer to taxi the plane to the terminal, doesn't make sense at all. If the first officer is allowed to fly the plane at 35,000 feet in the air, and take control at the critical phases of flight (take offs and landing), what is the big deal in allowing them to taxi the plane on solid ground? Would be nice to get comments from commercial pilots out there.

EA

Elmo Acio

Why some airline companies won't allow the first officer to taxi the plane to the terminal, doesn't make sense at all. If the first officer is allowed to fly the plane at 35,000 feet in the air, and take control at the critical phases of flight (take offs and landing), what is the big deal in allowing them to taxi the plane on solid ground? Would be nice to get comments from commercial pilots out there.

EA

Maybe its based on the theory that they tell you in driving school....."the parking lot is the most likely place for an accident".  But I agree, makes no sense.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

It would be interesting to know some evidence which (if any) airlines enforced this rule.

Also, how is the first officer to can essentiial experience in taxying under this rule or to they have to seats?

I've noticed in real life flight deck videos that when the first officer lands a plane, and at the end of the roll-out, the captain takes control and does the taxi to terminal. I'm curious why this is?

EA

It is common practice among airlines that the Captain controls the a/c on the ground. And during the take-off roll to 80kts. The crew will also switch roles regarding radio handling. On the ground the PO and the Captain while the PO is flying. All this is of course asuming that the PO has been given the flying task by the Captain!

On the ground they are both looking out of the window of course. But after landing checks have to be done by someone and that task usually falls to the PO.

This is just a guess, (I'm not A RW pilot) but, . . . . . . PIC, might do the taxi in because the taxi signs are on the left when not on both sides of the taxiway and therefore more visible from the left seat?

Regards,

Hi

It all depends on what the particular airlines Flight Operation Manuals says. The FOM is basically the bible and we absolutely have to abide by it. So if the FOM says that you have to taxi from the left seat you have to taxi from the left seat. From my experience (The 5 different airlines that I have flown for) the captain pretty much always taxis the plane. It's just one of those things that I believe have to do with 1-safety, 2-the tiller being on the captain side and 3-Standards. Believe it or not, the most work intensive part of any flight is on the ground.

I hope this helps

Reik Namreg