Sign in to follow this  
Wobbie

IMPORTANT Re SDK- Seems DTG/Steam have mis-sold the product.

Gentlemen, I do appologize for digging up the dirt, as Jim says. He is of the opinion that this post is of no use to the community.

Even though I do not use FSX any more, I thought it was of interest.

There, Jim, enough trolling me now!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I keep forgetting that AVSIM is not for developer's or for those interested in becoming a developer.

Those developers already have the SDKs so it's all good. The MS SDKs haven't gone anywhere.

Those new to the game can contact DTG and inquire about an SDK for FSX SE just as you do for any other program.

The unfortunate thing is that DTG left in the SDK folder (including GMax and the gmax_FSModelExp.dle), giving the impression that it included the full SDK. Why did they do that?

My Bad , i confused my Deluxe Edition with the Gold version. The GMAX issue is quite possibly a sticking point with SE, it does provide an entry to the production of models that many of the pro's used in their formative years , its continued availability is important to assist development of freeware scenery and aircraft, as the folders are there i suspect running the SDK SP2 installer would allow full function.

its continued availability is important to assist development of freeware scenery and aircraft.

But if AutoDesk(?) won't permit DTG to use the GamePack then it availability is zero.

As long as the Software ( Gmax ) can be downloaded and activated from Turbo Squid it should work just fine , the SDK SP1 & 2 can be downloaded from MS and elsewhere.

The SDK SP1 & SP2 can be downloaded, but these require the original version of the SDK from Microsoft Flight Simulator X (Deluxe) which must be installed prior.

As long as the Software ( Gmax ) can be downloaded and activated from Turbo Squid it should work just fine , the SDK SP1 & 2 can be downloaded from MS and elsewhere.

But Gmax  would not be use without the GamePack.

The installers look for the folder if i recall , i have set this up on Standard Edition FSX by adding the empty sdk folder and running the SP1 & 2 installers in sequence .

I understand that:

The SDK is available in FSX Deluxe only, (not FSX Standard).
FSX Standard users can obtain the SDK, by purchasing and installing FSX Acceleration, (or FSX Gold - Contains both Deluxe & Acceleration).

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_(FSX)#FSX_Acceleration_Pack_OR_FSX_Gold_Pack_users

Also, according to Microsoft

IMPORTANT: If you have already installed Flight Simulator X: Acceleration expansion pack, do not install the SDK Update for Service Pack 2.

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FSXSDK-SP2Update.aspx

Where does that leave users of FSX-SE?

I suspect the ingenuity and diligence of those who have an interest in setting up an export chain to produce models remains undiminished , they will endeavour to persevere as did we all the hurdles that were surmounted to date , quoting the SDK documentation isn’t the same as giving it a try.

I released my first freeware models using GMAX in 2004 and in 2006 – 2007 had to follow the updates, we were obliged to sort through the published documentation and by trial and error learn what was not in the published documents and possible, if the sdk folder is there i believe its possible to do , trying it out i leave to the trailblazers , the young turks who enter design through SE will find a way , we did .

Where does that leave users of FSX-SE?

It leaves them with a crippled SDK. They would have been better served if DTG had removed it completely.

At least now we know that any future releases from this company won't include an SDK as it isn't in their licensing agreement with Microsoft.

Scenery creation is a part of the hobby for many people. You don't need to be a developer to use the SDK. All the talk of "the developers who need the SDK will know where to get it" ignores the fact that the new people on steam are not being exposed to the full experience. They would need to adapt instructions for the Deluxe/Accel SDK installation from FS developer. Not saying it's impossible, but it's not a very welcoming introduction to those on steam interested in dabbling in scenery or even airplanes. The steam community has workshop, so user generated content is not foreign to that community. I don't like the tone this sets for the steam edition. It's like they barely remembered to ask Microsoft until people really started complaining. But when they were drawing up the plans for this release, how could the SDK have not gone discussed? Considering DTG's business model I worry that an SDK is against their financial benefit.

It's absolutely of no interest to the community. If it was, it would have been an issue many weeks ago, not when you decided to dig up some dirt!

No that was Glynn. I want you to tell everyone that you don't even use FSX, just 2 copies of FS9 and P3D!!

Wrong again, as seems to be the usual case with your 'contribituions' to threads.

The lack of a full SDK has been deemed an issuae and was discussed in the FS Developer Forums as early as the day of the FSX-SE Steam Edition release.

One need not be a developer to have reason to utilize the features present in the full SDK. As was mentioned here, ADE requires components of the SDK to be present otherwise that tool can not be used.

Anyone that wishes to create a custom gauge, scenery objects for their environment, and other custom content often need the full SDK for those tasks.

Just because your myopic, negative views can not see these posibilities does not mean they do not exist or are not valid.

If you do not have positive or conctructive input bto a discussion, you might want to consider doing the community a great service by staying out of  the discussion !

Paul (A frequent SDK user and non-developer!)

Wide-5.jpg

Paul,

Every MS FSX Deluxe Owner has access to the SDKs. Those people can and will create.

A new owner of only SE FSX should contact DGT and inquire about a SDK. This is no different than when Flight was released, all interested parties contacted MS and got the same message, no SDK would be forthcoming. I do not know what the response from DGT would be.

I wonder how the new SE DLC was put together without a SDK?