Sign in to follow this  

And let the PC build begin ...

5820K isnt as good as Rob's CPU

I don't how the 5820K will perform with P3D, but as I understand it, the 5820K has a higher OC potential than the 5960X.

Next test will be the PMDG 777 before and after P3D v2.5 hot fix to see if there is any difference.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob

Personally I would like to know what steps you took to OC your new cpu. Did you change the setting using the ROG?

I have a 5930K and the same RAM and MB as you do. According to UPS everything is supposed to delivered today.

OC for Dummies seems to be an appropriate for my level.

Russ Smith

Many may fly and some are rewarded

handsomely, but the wings of gold of a

United States Naval Aviator mean more

than flying. It is dearly bought, requires

sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

Does 6 core CPU bring more fps or smoothness in p3d than 4 core CPU, If both are for example 4,4GHz? Does it help for texture loading? I am thinking 4790k vs 5820k, money Isnt a factor with decision between these two. I have read all the reviews, but P3D performance is the most important thing for me.

Rob's test is fantastic to read. Thank you for that and all other advices also :)

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

Did you change the setting using the ROG?

I'll post details on the final UEFI/BIOS settings used (including UEFI version etc.) ... changes were not difficult at all and I'm sure I could squeeze out more if I spent more time with it.  I only used ROG to display temps and voltage, pretty much handled everything else via the UEFI/BIOS.  You can also run AI Suite and use that tool to make UEFI changes while in Windows.

... like I said earlier, the only thing I would change in my build is how much thermal paste I used, I think I used a little too much ... 2 grains of rice size is recommended.

If both are for example 4,4GHz? Does it help for texture loading?

6 cores and 8 cores will be beneficial if you're running additional processing in the background (i.e. weather, video recording, TrackIR, UT2, GoFlight, anything that runs on other cores).

I prefer higher BCLK and lower CPU ratio ... this seems to work better for P3D.  Motherboard choice will make a difference ... it's the most important component when OCing, so I spared no expense there (heart of a system build) ... I've had really good success with Asus so I stuck with Asus again.  Asus have modified the socket specifically for OC ... it's technically not the same Intel spec socket (fast forward to 28:40min mark in video, goes over the Intel vs Asus socket differences).  It's seems to work well especially the BCLK.

Be aware the variant of the X99 really only supports SLI at 16X with two GPUs ... you'll need the X99-E Asus board if you want to go with a true 4 Way SLI with 4 x 16X lanes.  So if you're planning 3way or 4way SLI, this motherboard isn't the choice for such a configuration.

Here is a basic review of the motherboard for those not familiar with it:

(PG-13)

Cheers, Rob.

Rob

Thank you.

Creating my Windows 8.1 USB as I type this.

Russ

Creating my Windows 8.1 USB as I type this.

:) ... I kinda wish Win10 RC were available so I don't have to redo the OS/P3D install again in a few months ... oh well.

But USB 3.0 OS bootable is the best way to install, extremely fast install and no clunky waiting for slow DVD/BD drivers to wake up and acknowledge.  Make sure you set the BIOS to full initialize for USB devices (doesn't really impact boot speed any).

Cheers, Rob.

Rob

On my current PC it is USB 2.0.

Will the install work on a USB 3 if it was created in a USB 2?

Also I do not plan on doing a fresh install of Windows 8.1. How much problems is that going to cause me in the set up?

Russ

Will the install work on a USB 3 if it was created in a USB 2?

Yes, no worries there, the install will just go a little faster with USB 3.0 port and USB 3.0 flash drive.  USB 2.0 will still be faster than booting to DVD/BD.

My assumption is that you are booting to a flash drive?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob

Yes the flash drive will bootable.

How much problems am I going to make for myself just booting from the C drive. I plan on using the C drive that is in my current computer, the one I am on now.

Russ Smith

How much problems am I going to make for myself just booting from the C drive. I plan on using the C drive that is in my current computer, the one I am on now.

You lost me?  The flash drive is used just to load/install the OS onto a "normal" hard drive (SSD) ... once you're done with loading/installing the OS, you no longer use the flash drive (Unplug it) and your system will boot to your C drive.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob

The bootable USB is a backup if I need it. In the new system I will use the C drive that I am currently using without wiping it clean.

My question is what issues will I encounter just putting my current C drive in this computer into the new system I am building?

Russ Smith

you will need to strip the hardware profile first with sysprep; then reactivate your lic once you deploy it

Agree with Chris, but it's not a process I would recommend. It can be done, but my success rate at trying that approach is 50/50 and usually run into issues - resolving ends up longer than if I just wiped the drive and installed fresh.

Cheers, Rob

on the money Rob!

sysprep somewhat old; its mainly designed to cater MS core products
not wise approuch on a high end custom build; the smallest glitch will send you chasing your tail for weeks over silly stuff

it takes less the 15 min to load a new system; if you’re like me and you moved your user profile folder away from system drive
you can bring back your personal settings after you reinstall your software on a brand new system in minutes

if youre just recovering an image on the same machine; as soon as you can reboot it you're back inflight
there are still few exceptions to this; but 90% of your personal settings and preference will retain
(some software saves its settings under C:\Program Data\
which are global user settings; you can allocate this folder as well if you wanted to retain absolutely everything)

damn... you tickled my build bone now with your video, thanks <_<

Build bone or OC bone or both?  

I might aim for 60 FPS and run YCrCb444 @ 60Hz for the Sony and see how that compares on the 1100 Kts fast and slow ... I'll need to dial back a few settings to hit a solid 60 fps  ... but I was at 120 fps (3840 x 2160) with P3D defaults (except change 20 cap to unlimited of course).

I'm interested to see what Mike's chiller may be able to do ... fast forward to the 28:40 min mark in the Rampage V review video ... pretty neat stuff that Asus did with the socket, that took some R&D.

Cheers, Rob.