Sign in to follow this  
paulwilko10

Night Time massive FPS drop

Hiya

I have anew PC which although not top of the range should be okay for most stuff.

Its a i5 OC to 4.3GHzz

GTX 760 2GB

8GB Ram 

WIN 7 Home

Is the basics of it 

I have been flying the Aerosoft Airbus and A2A C182 with 20-30 FPS using Rex both normal and soft clouds, also with Active Sky Next over ORBX England

Sliders are are pretty high

Thought I would try my first Night time flight tonight from LOWI to EGKK and I am having terrible issues. FPS dropping to low single figures.

If I turn ASN off they jump to high 20's so it is obviously an ASN issue combined with the night time.

What if anything can I do to improve this?

I have tried lowering the ASN settings with very little if any change

Does nigh time flying really have this effect as it is pretty drastic.

As I type i am over france with default scenery in the Aerosoft Airbus and getting single figure FPS although it is jumping about so it is not an ORBX issue as far as i can see.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

Paul

If I turn ASN off they jump to high 20's so it is obviously an ASN issue combined with the night time.

I doubt that it is an ASN issue, I have been doing some nightime flying recently using ASN and do not notice any less FPS.

Try turning off those Orbx lights if that is possible and see what you get then.

I doubt that it is an ASN issue, I have been doing some nightime flying recently using ASN and do not notice any less FPS.

Try turning off those Orbx lights if that is possible and see what you get then.

Thank you, however, I wasn't in an ORBX area for most of the flight, I was over default Europe scenery apart from the take off which is LOWI by Aerosoft

All I know is, where ever I am in the world, if ASN is on, my FPS drops considerably

Yea ASN impacts FPS in a significant way if you using high resolution clouds and are in a heavy weather area. Now if it's clear skies ASN has basically no FPS impact. 

Yea ASN impacts FPS in a significant way if you using high resolution clouds and are in a heavy weather area. Now if it's clear skies ASN has basically no FPS impact. 

Yep, that is what I am finding

Seems I need to find the sweet spot between looks and performance, easier said than done and I reckon I will never ever find it as I, like many others are constantly tweaking!

I wish i could just get on and fly and not worry about the fact that my fps was 25 yesterday and 15 today because of a bit of cloud but I can;t stop myself lol

Thanks

paul

If you installed SP1 for ASN after the previous ASN version, you may try to redownload and run an updated installer (all-in-one installer for ASN including SP1). A couple of ASN users have reported better fps that way.

In seven years and hundreds or thousands of hours I've spent flying I FSX, I've never noticed any difference in FPS flying at night compared to flying during the day.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator