Sign in to follow this  
emann072

which fsx vfr package for real vfr flying practice

Hi to all,

I have recently acquired the a2a C172 with the intention of using it in FSX with a package of vfr scenery for real flying practice...the aim is to use the E6B Flight Computer together with the navigation plotter for some navigation exercises.

I know that there will be limitations as to FSX vs real flying but at least I would be able to practice more the routines of plotting the flight on a sectional chart, find heading and distances and monitoring speed and recalculating headings and speeds as the flight progresses.

I am also interested to buy some real world sectional charts for this in correspondence with the recommended packages....these can be anywhere in the world but preferably the more detailed scenery to couple them with the sectionals the preferable.

any help and suggestions appreciated.

regards,

emann

FSX is pretty good for navigation training. I did quite a few VFR flights in the same way I do real world flying and I managed to do them in places, I have never been before (New Zealand)... Which is pretty cool :).

If I understand you correctly, your main purpose is to use E6B.

But you can take a look at a tool, I've created, which solely purpose is to help in VFR planning and dead reckoning - http://vfrflight.org.

You can include VFR checkpoints on your route legs to watch your timings, include and print map with PDF flight plan etc etc.

This is exactly how it's done in real world.

You can still use E6B to apply changes in your navigation, but in real world you do it all on the ground, as a flight preparation.

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Mega Scenery Earth scenery should be good for this purpose.

Or if you want a smaller area to learn, with good chart coverage too, the Horizon GenX UK VFR sceneries are great. 

For starting, perhaps choose an area that you are familiar with. I mean if I have a rough idea where I am simply by looking out of the window, I find it a lot easier. I fly without any proper preparation or charts, though.

If the region does not matter, I'd suggest Blue Sky Scenery, they offer quite a huge area, large parts of CA, NV and AZ for example in an impressing quality for free!

I am also interested to buy some real world sectional charts for this in correspondence with the recommended packages....these can be anywhere in the world but preferably the more detailed scenery to couple them with the sectionals the preferable.

Just remember, sectional charts are updated several times a year, FSX not in a very long time.  There are going to be differences, somtimes substantial. 

While I don't care for them in my daily flying, it's hard to beat photoreal scenery for keeping the ground in sync with the sectional.  UTX or FTX Vector might show rivers and roads, but a sectional will give you realistic representations of cities, towns, landmarks, etc.  Just don't expect any 3D objects.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

FSX is pretty good for navigation training. I did quite a few VFR flights in the same way I do real world flying and I managed to do them in places, I have never been before (New Zealand)... Which is pretty cool :).

If I understand you correctly, your main purpose is to use E6B.

But you can take a look at a tool, I've created, which solely purpose is to help in VFR planning and dead reckoning - http://vfrflight.org.

You can include VFR checkpoints on your route legs to watch your timings, include and print map with PDF flight plan etc etc.

This is exactly how it's done in real world.

You can still use E6B to apply changes in your navigation, but in real world you do it all on the ground, as a flight preparation.

Lukasz

Hi Lukasz...thank you for your link and fantastic software...I have to get in touch with this as this is directing me in the correcy way i think...can i ask you if you use any particular type of software for vfr flying so that you can relate information on the charts with what you are seeing on the screen through fsx pls.

regards

emann

thanks to all for the input....i got my license in dallas and megascenery earth offers 3 dvds for the whole area of texas...do you think this is any good quality and worth the price for my intentions?

also any idea of another link for Horizon Gen X as the website seems down after googling it.

regards

emann

Hi Lukasz...thank you for your link and fantastic software...I have to get in touch with this as this is directing me in the correcy way i think...can i ask you if you use any particular type of software for vfr flying so that you can relate information on the charts with what you are seeing on the screen through fsx pls.

In VfrFlight, after you import data from FSX/P3D, you can right click on airport and open "information dialog". This will show the same data you see in FSX. You can export this and save as PDF and print it as your flight preparation.

You can also leave VfrFlight opened and click this whenever you need it (this could be a little faster than using map built into FSX).

Newer version will bring possiblity to freely select, crop and rotate part of map you wish to include in your PDF.

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

(...)

thanks to all for the input....i got my license in dallas and megascenery earth offers 3 dvds for the whole area of texas...do you think this is any good quality and worth the price for my intentions?

(...)

MSE quality varies between the US states, in terms of color deviations/corrections for example (take MSE Colorado as an area which has not been done so nicely).

As an owner of two of their three Texas parts (West and SE, still missing the NE/Dallas part! :lol: ), I'd say that Texas is one of their better releases.

Texas is neither available from Blueskyscenery (freeware/donationware) nor from Ultimate VFR (current sale 10 USD per state, but only a limited no. of states have been done by them by now).

Hi Emann,

I used FSX years ago to get my PPL. Used it on all my NAV training. I found (back then) that all I needed was roads, railways, and power lines, and only used the default weather generator using real weather.

I would do my flight plan as I would for a real flight, and would use real weather forecasts. The FSX weather engine wasn't the greatest, but, it was enough to get under way, and meant that I would have to adjust my ETA's and tracks on the go. The limitations of FSX actually helped me to become more efficient in monitoring my progress and updating my flight plan on the go. I was also using the Carendao Cherokee back then with the performance charts from the real Cherokee I was flying at the time. This also meant I had to monitor and adjust my fuel and available range on the go as the performance of the Carenado Cherokee were not that close to the real deal.

Diego

Hi Elche...great to hear that you did this already...were you using any particular vfr package and in which regions did you fly?

@olli4740...so u would recommend texas from MSE then?

tks

(...)

@olli4740...so u would recommend texas from MSE then?

tks

Check out the last but one Texas screenshot on megasceneryearth.com: Colors look very consistent and plausible to me, so yes, I recommend MSE Texas.

http://www.megasceneryearth.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=768&category_id=147

MSE is available at pcaviator.com.au, too, which is still offering a 40% discount on most MSE products. (An additional 10% off the remaining 60% on Tuesdays, so 54% of the nominal price in the end. Mind prices in AU dollars, conversion rates for the AUD and any payment processing costs from PayPal or your CC provider, though.)

You could start with one of the three Texas parts for a test, and still get hold of the full discount(s).

Mods: Now you will have to move this topic to the "bargain basement"!   :rolleyes:

Emann, I did my flying out of Australia, so only used FSX out of Aus to practice. To be honest, I think I was only using the default scenery at the time. WAC charts only show main roads, railways, rivers, lakes, towns, powerlines, terrain and any other main features like wind farms and towers. I found navigating by those features was more than enough for me. If things were missing and I couldn't pin-point my location I would fly another 10min and check again and re-calculate.

Diego

The Horizon GenX scenery is only for the UK AFAIK so not that useful to you IMO.

If you really want it it's available here

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/flight-simulation-c499/scenery-add-ons-c543/vfr-photographic-scenery-fsx-c544

Also Justflight sell a similar product Real VFR Scenery

http://www.justflight.com/searchresults?category=products&query=vfr+scenery

I gained my UK PPL just under 2 years ago and normally use FSX to fly routes to new locations so that I can memorize landmarks and waypoint features.

If you plan  your route as you would do in real life, draw your route on your chart, create your PLOG for no wind and set FSX to no wind, that way you can concentrate on just flying the route.

Find an aircraft similar to the one you would fly so the view and performance will be similar.

Have your chart handy and start flying while noting your timings to waypoints and matching those waypoints to your chart.

It's very informative and fun.

Dave