Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Andersen

Well done LM! P3d2.5 is awesome!

Hey guys

is FTX Global Base work yet?

David

Hi Dave,

Create a symbolic link in your P3D folder pointing to the new location of your terrain.cfg file. I think it's in ProgramData. There are tutorials and utilities to do it. If you want to install other Orbx scenery and libraries; after you've installed, go into dll.xml and change Disabed from False to True, for any entry with Objectflow in the title and pointing to Orbx in the path.

FTX Central will be happy because it thinks it sees terrain.cfg in the root folder; and the incompatible objectflow dll's won't blow your sim down the toilet.

This will all take about 5 minutes. I have all Orbx scenery installed. No support from Orbx for this. Backup your dll.xml first.

I'm not sticking my thumb in Orbx eyes. Many of us want to upgrade to 2.5 and enjoy the benefits of Orbx great scenery.

It amazes me how so many are quick to speak about improved performance, no OOM's, and faster loading in 2.5 when  running vanilla P3D installs. Of course its running great. I'm not saying that improvements haven't been made, but jeez. Wait till you load up the sim with Orbx and friends and then we will see about all that, especially OOM's.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Kind of agree with Marc. V2.5 is running vanilla on most people's computers with no scenery addons so the improved performance might not be so convincing. Really curious how 2.5 handles Orbx PNW SEA, one of the biggest FPS killers...

I'm be holding on with 2.4 until those major addons like ASN, Orbx etc upgrade too.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I'm be holding on with 2.4 until those major addons like ASN, Orbx etc upgrade too.

Me too. But I it's looking impressive.

ASN will work to give more realistic clouds. Just don't click the OK on the Error! Message and move it down by dragging the title so it is down hidden below view. You can then select ASN generated weather in P3d's weather dialog.

I have seen improvements in 2.5 with non-vanilla conditions such as heavy FSDT airports, 3rd party aircraft, heavy third party ai, all rex textures; and the sim is improved from 2.4 in terms of crisp textures, smoothness, loading times and consistent fps and just looks better!  Needs all of the add-ons esp rex ti get the sim looking good though and the HDR mod by Rob helped too!  2.5 is worth it; Orbx stuff will be fine when they get it out.

Their ingame aa x4 setting is improved as well it seems; I can set that and not get any washed-out effects that I did in previous versions of prepar3d.  That is a big plus for me!

Simon

and the HDR mod by Rob helped too!  2.5 is worth it;

.../

which mod is that?

Or has it been implemented by LM ?

allen

So which version should I buy as a home user?

ATPL-A [F27-B737(300-900)]

Allen,

There is a link from Rob that offers settings to turn down some of the excessive darkness that is present in the LM default HDR, but still gives variance and contrast that HDR naturally gives from non-HDR mode.  I will post link later, can't find it and running late for work!

Simon

So which version should I buy as a home user?

academic if you are just learning to fly/navigate using the sim or simply developing familiarity

professional if you teaching someone, making money, or are a developer, or need the options only available with the pro version

It amazes me how so many are quick to speak about improved performance, no OOM's, and faster loading in 2.5 when  running vanilla P3D installs. Of course its running great. I'm not saying that improvements haven't been made, but jeez. Wait till you load up the sim with Orbx and friends and then we will see about all that, especially OOM's.

It sounds like they brightened up the color pallets...and that is welcome news.  I feel (agree) that as soon as everybody loads up the sim with goodies...it will settle down to within a few degrees of centre v2.4/v2.5 performance-wise...which of a thing is not a critique.

Allen,

There is a link from Rob that offers settings to turn down some of the excessive darkness that is present in the LM default HDR, but still gives variance and contrast that HDR naturally gives from non-HDR mode.  I will post link later, can't find it and running late for work!

Here ya go Simon..

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/455299-the-perfect-hdr/

Could somebody please point me to Robs HDR tweaks again?

My only disagreement with the original post is that I don't think the colors need to keep getting more "vivid".

There are lots of scenarios where the saturation is just simply too high already (in my opinion obviously).