Sign in to follow this  
tandy

FMC set up for a Noob

Hey all, I've had the 737NGX for a number of years but after having a computer incapable of running FSX, I've recently had the chance to upgrade. My question is when setting the FMC up for take off settings, I get completely lost. I've followed the first tutorial and I fancy chancing my arm at my own flight from Leeds to Zurich. I've created a flight plan online which I've implemented, however setting the engine performance just seems abhorrant to me. Is there anyway of calculating what I need to use or is it a case of trial and error?

You cannot get better than the two Tutorials, or look at YouTube tutorials. There are some excellent ones out there.

Hey all, I've had the 737NGX for a number of years but after having a computer incapable of running FSX, I've recently had the chance to upgrade. My question is when setting the FMC up for take off settings, I get completely lost. I've followed the first tutorial and I fancy chancing my arm at my own flight from Leeds to Zurich. I've created a flight plan online which I've implemented, however setting the engine performance just seems abhorrant to me. Is there anyway of calculating what I need to use or is it a case of trial and error?

Once you set take-off flaps (5 is a good place to start with the 737), picked your departure runway etc the FMC will calculate reference speeds for you. A lot of the weights, cg etc are as simple as clicking the line button for that entry twice.

Thanks for the help guys, I've been back through the first tutorial and I'm working through the second, missed my approach into Innsbrook so I've had to go back through the FMC to re-program a go around route - Whilst I haven't actually landed the aircraft yet, doing so has helped me to understand the FMC better. I've had a look at and will be purchasing the TOPCAT software shortly - Thanks for the suggestion!.

missed my approach into Innsbrook

Very good... don't worry, I missed it the first time too.  Lot's of new stuff to get used to.  There are a lot of flights here in the US (my playground) where the flightplan is just the SID to VOR to STAR, makes that part of the FMS programming easy so you can learn about other stuff.  Also, everytime you have a question use the FCOM.  Put a key word or two in the search box and start fishing; you'll pick up a lot in short time.

Example of short flights like KLAS-KLAX can be found at flightaware.com

Dan Downs KCRP