Sign in to follow this  
walterg74

Just entered Flight Sim World, with FSX and have doubts: FSX or Prepar3d? No trolling, honest!

I'm sure they would be more interested in your car!

& if sofware is imaginary, it doesnt exist, so, in your 3000 years, the anthropologists would not know that anything existed anyway, but the Archaeologists will have a lot of fun with round coasters.. They might even say that they have found the original round-to-it's

Aha, so, if FSX:SE is on no media, cannot be held, touched or stored, then obviously, FSX:Gold & even FS2004 is a better way to go, as the code is on media that can be stored. So, when the internet ever goes down, we can still play our imaginary non-existant games!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

In 3000 years people would be aware that our software existed because the legacy of something like Microsoft would be known as it left a large enough footprint on this culture. But good chance that none of the software they produced could survive 3000 years.

Matthew Kane

But you did say that software is code & is imaginary & therefore does not exist! So they will find imaginary code.

Microsoft's culture lasting 3000 years?

Imagine installing Windows 26500.7 then, as well as Prepar3dv97286.45! The future forums will be full of the usual.

Phew, I'm getting all Steamed up,

I still say we are living in pods as part of the Matrix!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

But you did say that software is code & is imaginary & therefore does not exist! So they will find imaginary code.

What I have always said is it does not physically exist, it is binary and requires a machine to run. We are caretakers of that code and as long as we continue to take care of it by storing it then it will remain on our storage devices. As soon as we abandon taking care of it then the hardware it sits on will degrade and the software is forever lost. 

In 3000 years you may be able to dig up old computers but the software is gone. 

Matthew Kane

What I have always said is it does not physically exist, it is binary and requires a machine to run. We are caretakers of that code and as long as we continue to take care of it by storing it then it will remain on our storage devices. As soon as we abandon taking care of it then the hardware it sits on will degrade and the software is forever lost. 

Software is like a music composition,  it has to be performed... :P

To say it does not exist,  is a bit off the deep end IMHO

Bert

Software is like a music composition,  it has to be performed... :P

To say it does not exist,  is a bit off the deep end IMHO

Another great way of looking at it. The great music of Mozart or Beethoven can live on as it has been scripted down by pen and ink and can be performed by future generations of people

However what are the odds of the code for FSX surviving even 100 years from now and be able to run on a restored 100 year old machine? reason being is the code is far more complex and as soon as any small portion of it is lost the entire program no longer works. Same applies for any form of digital software, music or pictures. 

Digital Artists will have a hard time leaving their mark for future generations when any part of the binary code is lost, then it is pretty much gone. All it takes is for hardware to degrade and it will. It is not like a fading painting in the Louvre or archived sheet music as it is software, it can't be passed on from generation to generation as it has to be preserved on fully functioning hardware, and hardware has a very short life span. 

Matthew Kane

In 3000 years you may be able to dig up old computers but the software is gone

Nothing escapes entropy.  But we have time ... so in the words of Douglas Adams, DON'T PANIC!

Cheers, Rob.

What is the topic of this thread exactly?

FSX or P3D? :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Nothing escapes entropy.  But we have time ... so in the words of Douglas Adams, DON'T PANIC!

yes this is what happens when I have a 6 month old baby at home that is up all night and won't sleep....I get no sleep and spend a little too much time on AVSIM.  :lol:

Matthew Kane

Nothing escapes entropy

I think you'll find the Infinite Improbability Drive can reverse Entropy.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I think you'll find the Infinite Improbability Drive can reverse Entropy.

But what kinda FPS does it get and how much VAS does it use?

Cheers, Rob.

But what kinda FPS does it get and how much VAS does it use?

Cheers, Rob.

Good question. I'll bet it's analogue and uses AOR* addressing (*all of reality).

...being analogue means its interface is not a sequence of stills, and I'm told that the new one coming out soon uses AONR addressing. All of non-reality is far larger than all of reality, so you won't run out of space any time soon.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hahaha those last few pages where a joy to read, loved the does FSX exist or not bit, cheers people, and Rob, your comment about add-on complexity for large airports - spot on! And I have a medium to low end system so I know all about the sacrifices lol.