Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[03MAR15] PMDG's First Product for XPlane...

2 days ago the 10-DVDs-set of XP10.32r1 arrived here in Hamburg/Germany (shipped within 3 1/2 days by FedEx via Memphis and Cologne).

As advised by Laminar Research I used the downloadable installer file to start the installation routine of the 10 DVDs and thereby including the latest updates...

Took a time but worked fine...

This is the third time I bought an X-Plane product version: v4 in 1998(?), v6 in 2002 and now v10. v6 could not take me away from fs2002 because of the relatively poor GFX, especially the panels and "VCs".

But I must honestly say that XP-10 is visually and in terms of performance very convincing. E.g. the sloped (and twisted) runways and taxiways are awesome, the lighting system for cities, airports and runways in conjunction with the road traffic at night has the respective effect on the pilot's perception. It looks and feels realistic. The level of detail of landscapes with trees, cityscapes with buildings and their overall diversity is homogeneous and immersive.

XP-10 is an approved simulator (visuals) for pilot training (professional) and that is quite noticeable.

The only stock A/C that convinced me at FSX/P3D levels in terms of visuals for VCs is the "Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird". Also the exterior model here is very nice.

Maybe it is time to order an add-on-bird to get an even better foretaste of what it will be like flying a PMDG A/C inside XP-10... B)

Don't forget to turn off the sloped runways when flying online! Also some custom scenery doesn't work with slopes.

Don't forget to turn off the sloped runways when flying online! Also some custom scenery doesn't work with slopes.

Thanks for the advice! B)

Until now I am not an online flyer. Would be exciting but I somewhat prefer the training stuff and therefore a shared VC would be even nicer and sloped runways with different elevations at their ends are quite "big fun"...

For FSX I have UTX US+EU (with GEX) and ORBX FTX Global Base+Vector plus open-lc EU. Otherwise certain regions (like the greek islands) would not be "bearable" within FSX.

I tried some of those "FSX deserts" (which are BTW still P3D deserts) in XP10 already and they look awesome out of the box! (Take LGKR for example...)  :wub:

But I prefer to support the developers directly if possible.
I somewhat dislike Steam's "hidden"  x-86 folder installations. I find it proprietary by Steam to do so and prefer the application being installed in its home place rather than in a "hostage kind of situation"...
(BTW: dislike this "app-jacking" for FSX-SE quite a lot! Beside that I am not using FSX-SE at all, except for checking from time to

Cool, I see what you mean alright   :rolleyes:

Don't forget to turn off the sloped runways when flying online!

Why?

Just curious Claus, why didn't you purchase it on Steam, just wondering really

Also, you can only have access to beta versions (if you want to) on non-Steam versions.

Claus, don't forget to take a look até Alpilotx's HD mesh and land data updates. They're free (well, donationware) and they're AWESOME!

http://www.alpilotx.net/

Why?

FSX doesn't support sloped runways. If you don't turn it off everyone using FSX and XP without sloped runways will appear to be floating or underground. If this doesn't bother you then by all means leave it on.

If you don't turn it off everyone using FSX and XP without sloped runways will appear to be floating or underground.

Looks funny for sure. Probably a good way to triple the airport's traffic capacity :lol:

But seriously: actually sloped runways with different elevations at their end are quite a substantial reality matter, i.e. altitude based minima for ILS approaches taking into account the elev. differences (and experiencing the consequences) .

The legacy of the Microsoft "standard of flat world airports" is quite a shame and the fact that P3D ported it to a professional called sim is quite irritating at least.

Can that flat airports be suitable for professional simulation? I doubt that really by now. :unsure: 

E.g. EGCC (Manchester, UK) has 226.3 ft ELEV in FSX for all 4 runways, although there are different elevations of 186ft, 212ft, 227ft up to 249ft in RW data.

XP-10 delivers you 4 different elevation values depending on runway alignement!

FSX doesn't support sloped runways. If you don't turn it off everyone using FSX and XP without sloped runways will appear to be floating or underground. If this doesn't bother you then by all means leave it on.

I was just curious, as I never fly online. Didn't know that it mixes different simulators at once. Interesting.

Thanks for the reply.

I was just curious, as I never fly online. Didn't know that it mixes different simulators at once. Interesting.

Thanks for the reply.

Oh yes. Regardless of your simulator you can see everyone on VATSIM/IVAO

But seriously: actually sloped runways with different elevations at their end are quite a substantial reality matter, i.e. altitude based minima for ILS approaches taking into account the elev. differences (and experiencing the consequences) .

The legacy of the Microsoft "standard of flat world airports" is quite a shame ...

+1

I fully second that!

But now, where PMDG is on board of X-Plane as well (hence this super topic here about the DC-6) i am quite confident that the user/customer base of X-Plane will become a bit larger than it currently is and i therefore also remain confident that the main X-Plane development team and 3rd party X-Plane developers alike, will also become encouraged to move on with this actually very fine simming platform.

And now:

Looking very much forard to PMDG's DC-6!

:smile2:

+1

I fully second that!

But now, where PMDG is on board of X-Plane as well (hence this super topic here about the DC-6) i am quite confident that the user/customer base of X-Plane will become a bit larger than it currently is and i therefore also remain confident that the main X-Plane development team and 3rd party X-Plane developers alike, will also become encouraged to move on with this actually very fine simming platform.

And now:

Looking very much forard to PMDG's DC-6!

:smile2:

You will now be able to actually use the runway slope field in FMCs now!

Well I think this news is excellent.

I love FSX and have loved all versions of MFS but frankly it is really beginning to show its age. I won't be leaving FSX behind but have been concerned about the future of flight simulation for a while. I never really got involved with X-Plane because I am used to aircraft fidelity from the likes of PMDG and a few others.

Too many things are getting old for me in FSX. No runway slopes, 32bit limitations, shoddy ground friction model, ridiculous head movement on longer aircraft...the list is growing to endless proportions. And I have been considering going P3D and having another look at X-Plane. Now PMDG are going the X-Plane route I too will see what it has to offer and from what I have seen of it it seems to offer a lot.

As for the aircraft. It looks stunning. There is no other way of describing it. A perfect example of why I don't like to fly anything but PMDG level stuff. It is not something I would normally go for but I won't be able to resist this.

So with FSX evolving in the form of P3d and PMDG taking an active interest in X-Plane then things are looking a lot brighter for my favourite hobby. Hopefully this move into X-Plane will be a trigger for other big developers to do the same. 

We can't stay in FSX forever ladies and gents. It is just getting too old. and as flight sim enthusiasts I think we deserve some movement on the platform front.

So with that said I offer my applause to PMDG for showing that they are still actively supporting and will continue to support FSX by bringing us such planes as this dc-6 and the 747 but perhaps more importantly by showing us a new direction for our hobby which to me at least looked like it was dying not all that long ago.

Now build me a 787 and even an airbus and I will clean your toilets for a month. :wink:

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Hi All,

If there was ever a plane that needed an add-on like FS2Crew, the DC-6B is it. To operate it, you need both a flight engineer as well as a first officer.

I posted my feelings about this over on this FS2Crew AVSIM link, so if you want to join me, let Bryan know your thoughts as well.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463786-fs3crew-for-pmdg-dc-6b/

Of course, PMDG would need to have an SDK available for this plane to make an FS2Crew project possible?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

I may have missed it, but , is the DC-6 going to be released for FSX or P3D?

Not trying to get a problem going, just asking a question.

Harry Nelson

Harry Nelson

I may have missed it, but , is the DC-6 going to be released for FSX or P3D?

Not trying to get a problem going, just asking a question.

Harry Nelson

The answer is in the first page of this post:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463714-03mar15-pmdgs-first-product-for-xplane/

"The PMDG Classics DC-6B is the lead off product in a new breed of products for PMDG that will bring some "old school" aviation to our product lines for Xplane, FSX and Prepar3D.  This product will drop for XPlane first- but shortly after will release for FSX and Prepar3D as well- making it the first PMDG product to appear on three different simulation platforms."

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

The answer is in the first page of this post:

http://forum.avsim.n...uct-for-xplane/

"The PMDG Classics DC-6B is the lead off product in a new breed of products for PMDG that will bring some "old school" aviation to our product lines for Xplane, FSX and Prepar3D. This product will drop for XPlane first- but shortly after will release for FSX and Prepar3D as well- making it the first PMDG product to appear on three different simulation platforms."

Toufic,

Thank you for the response,  I must have missed it on the first page.  Again, Thank you.

Harry Nelson