Sign in to follow this  
Gordon Hutchison

No 64-bit P3D coming according to Orbxs' John Venema

Sorry, all I read in JV's post is "LM won't dare going to 64 bit because it will be difficult for ORBX.".

Quite a bit of local spin there methinks. 

Right.  

SLI from NVidia around this summer.  64bit from LM around/within 2 years, with DX12 upgrade.  ORBX puts on their big boy pants and starts to work towards 64bit interface for their silly DLLs.

very poor ATC and ridiculous Ai, poor seasonal coverage, lack of a decent weather program

Glynn,

I don't disagree with your assessment of XPX but remember, all of these things were lacking in the MSFS programs also. It took third party developers to fix the deficiencies. The LOD radius problem is rumored to be fixed in 10.40. None of these sims is perfect. i know, I own all of them. Sometimes I feel that all of the detailed addon aircraft and sceneries have just pushed the programming and hardware beyond its' ability to cope and we're going to be stuck with these problems for the foreseeable future. 

NAX669.png

All sounds a little odd to me, especially the last paragraph which goes into a lot of detail about having access to conversion tools and eluding to it all being a lot of trouble and effort and for him, a costly exercise. And will only happen if a lot of help is provided.

The first paragraph feels to me, like some very well chosen words on his part. To give the impression he wants to convey.

Converting 32bit code to 64bit assuming the code has been written with the future firmly implanted can acctually be quite straightforward. I would be extreamly surprised if LM have not already got a 64bit platform or at the very least carried out a proof of concept exercise.

Reading between the lines, my personal conclusion is that this statement is applying commercial pressure on LM by the use of social media. Just my opinion.

And, OOMs are an unhandled error.  Eventually they'll get a handle on it.  64bit will not help you with big scenery cause the CPU will CHOKE on it, until DX12. (sigh)

The future of Flight Simulator does not rest with ORBX (although they make absolutely beautiful stuff).

Lockheed Martin is doing an outstanding job with their Prepar3d product development.

Potentially unlimited memory is a sure route to badly written bloatware and worsening performance

How true.

John V. does NOT work for LM so whatever folks want to read into his statement is up to them, but it is important that folks understand that John V. is not an LM employee ... he is a 3rd party content provider operating a business.

I would advise caution before jumping into wild speculation.  Wild speculation about the future of a 64bit P3D version based on a single persons post who is NOT involved in the development of P3D just isn't wise IMHO.

Cheers, Rob.

I don't see how that is good news. There is a lot of wheel-spinning all done to compensate for the 4 GB limit of VAS.

Unloading unused resources from memory doesn't sound like wheel-spinning to me. More like proper resource management.

I wonder what people would post and say about JV if he would've stated "64bit P3D is coming soon..."

I wonder!!!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I wonder what people would post and say about JV if he would've stated "64bit P3D is coming soon..."

I would do exactly same as what I just did 20 minutes ago, get clarification from the source ... LM.

Cheers, Rob.

If you're in Software Development and you're still developing 32 Bit software, the move to 64 Bit is not a case of 'if' but 'when'

P3D is likely Lockheed Martin's last piece of 32 Bit software ;)

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

would advise caution before jumping into wild speculation.  Wild speculation about the future of a 64bit P3D version based on a single persons post who is NOT involved in the development of P3D just isn't wise IMHO.

Rob, most respectively read, but...I will direct you to LM's very own greeting page, where displayed for all to see, is their predominant BED PARNTER....ORBX...by way of showing us their GLOBAL and airport sceneries 'that work within P3D'.   That those that have eyes...see...let those that have ears, listen....

John V know his intel.....for he just got out of 'bed' this morning, lol.  Rob...there's no lack in my mind that he is very well connected, and very well...inside the inner circle as regards LM's directions.  It was ORBX that kept FSX alive...and still does....  He knows what is happening....and just told/head's-up/advised us....

My personal take....and 46 cents, (smile).

I would do exactly same as what I just did 20 minutes ago, get clarification from the source ... LM.

What's the latest clarification from Lockheed Martin?

Rob is right. Only LMs developer knows it and I highly doubt that JV knows more. 

For me this sounds like "We don't want the trouble of a 64-bit P3D". 

Philipp Schwaegerl

I wonder!!!

I'd believe it, quite frankly, and move on to read something else, with the knowledge as practically verbatim as we are going to get....

LM is not confirming...or communicating on an official-from-source, regard to producing, or wishing-to-produce, a 64 bit product.  

My take?  They probably told John V that, quite outright....

His take...was to head's up those still holding their breath...and turning blue, doing so. (That's my personal 'take', and interpretation.)