Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

bootmgr failure lately on a Asus Z97 during P3D session

If a backup from a system image works then that would be my next step if I were doing things. This is how my disk looks which would suggest something is amiss alright. It might be worth trying the backup first to see if it works as I've found it won't always depending on the method used. When I learned this the hard way I started using Acronis backup which so far has been bulletproof. It alows you to make bootable disk with the software onboard to perform a clean backup in the worst of situations. I digress, failing the above it might be worth trying to extend the disk into that unallocated space.

disks.JPG

Thanks ,

everything is going downhill here. The system freezes etc , 

How do i extend that none allocated if i need it ?

Thanks again

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I feared it might. You're not having a good day, it truly sucks when things like this happen. In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to resize and select “Extend Volume” from the menu. Fill in the amount of space in MB that you want to extend into. The extend partition feature only works with contiguous space but i seems from the above picture that that's what you have so you should be okay.

I feared it might. You're not having a good day, it truly sucks when things like this happen. In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to resize and select “Extend Volume” from the menu. Fill in the amount of space in MB that you want to extend into. The extend partition feature only works with contiguous space but i seems from the above picture that that's what you have so you should be okay.

Thanks Again.

Right now i am looking at a very long image rebuild from two weeks ago. I have moved around the hdd drives because of P3D lately allthough not the C drive. This takes therefor much longer to rebuild the system.

Thanks again Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Hi again,

Is it normal to have some space not allocated on drive c?

I have 101mb .

Still boomgr during windows sessions and Prepar3D.  Could it be a virus ?

Thanks Michael

disc.jpg

Yes, it is normal to have 100mb "system reserved", i have it too.I have a z97-p and never had a crash in p3d (unless when i had cpu oc to 4.8 with insufficient voltage, which i resolved using 4.7 or when i tried some oc settings on ram and gpu).I would try a fresh OS install, i know it is boring but it could be faster than wondering the reason from the manywhich are possible.Make sure to install the newest chipset. Management engine and audio drivers from asus site.

Sounds more like a hardware issue to me. Failing controller or power supply on the SSD perhaps. Did you do a health check with this drive? btw. SSDs should not be filled up to more than 80%. And they do a lot more internally than the HDDs did, constantly trimming and cleaning the memory. Can you back it up, then connect it to another computer? Get the SMART values off the SSD, if it has them? Change to a HDD for the time being.? Use a different port and power supply cable?

Incidently, how are the temperatures in your PC case? If you constantly get crashes after a certain period of time, it might be something is overheating (a faulty circuit may not even need much heat to fail entirely).

LORBY-SI

Thanks everyone. My hdd was actually about 80-85 % full. The temperatur seems ok. The cpu on default is about 29c in Windows. I went to eventviewer and there was a case from yesterday about a controller ide port 0 problem.

Right now 5 hours had past and 40% has been rebuild but only on Drive C. This is going to take 30 hours or more.

Thanks Everyone

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Yes, it is normal to have 100mb "system reserved", i have it too. I have a z97-p and never had a crash in p3d (unless when i had cpu oc to 4.8 with insufficient voltage, which i resolved using 4.7 or when i tried some oc settings on ram and gpu). I would try a fresh OS install, i know it is boring but it could be faster than wondering the reason from the manywhich are possible. Make sure to install the newest chipset. Management engine and audio drivers from asus site.

True but not what he asked. System reserved and unallocated space are two very different things. Have a look at the image on the end of page one.

I had something similar a while back.. it was due to bad OC.

This happened even without OC. I am still rebuilding .

It takes really long time. I am expecting 72-80 hours in total

There are actually alot of cases with issues with SSD as a OS HDD. Lots of people having this "loosing connection to SSD" out there.

Maybe it really is new hitech and controller problem afterall. Will see if my rebuild will work

On second hand anyone who have a SSD favorit for an Z87-Pro motherboard ? (240GB should do it)

There are also the new M2 ones ?

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Hi again

Not sure i understand becuase it looks like this now

Michael Moe

http://s13.postimg.org/ddnkcynxj/image.jpg

image.jpg

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Hi Micheal,

it would seem that at some stage prior to the system restore, that volume was created. The question is why and how given that you apparently didn't do it yourself. I have no answers to these questions. If it were my computer then I would delete the volume and extend into the space but it is not and if you are not confident doing so then just leave it alone and see how things go.

Out of curiosity, does it appear in My Computer as a separate drive?

Hi Micheal,

it would seem that at some stage prior to the system restore, that volume was created. The question is why and how given that you apparently didn't do it yourself. I have no answers to these questions. If it were my computer then I would delete the volume and extend into the space but it is not and if you are not confident doing so then just leave it alone and see how things go.

Out of curiosity, does it appear in My Computer as a separate drive?

Hi,

No this is me that have allocated the volume without a seperate drive. I could not extend the volume. 

This is my first day after the rebuild . It took 3 days and i still need to install P3D again.

But so far it seems stable again. 

How do i extend ? Its grayed out as you can see . Even with "none allocated" its greyed out

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

It should extend, are you right clicking on the volume you want to extend rather than the volume into which you are extending? Right click on C?

It should extend, are you right clicking on the volume you want to extend rather than the volume into which you are extending? Right click on C?

Nope. Both volume extend is greyed out.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png