Sign in to follow this  
carlito777

How do you guys find the right weather for a flight?

I have rather general question for you: When I go flying in P3D, I always have the problem to find the right weather for the flight. By "right weather" I mean weather which is appropriate for a specific flight I want to make. If I want to go VFR flying, I dont't want overcast conditions but rather some nice looking medium cloud cover. On the other hand, when flying tubes I like a lot of clouds with some heavy weather here and there. Sometimes, I also want to fly a specific approach and then the winds have to fit that as well.

I'm using Active Sky Next and in order to find the right weather I tend to go through various historic dates and then check the weather conditions at the origin and destination of my flight. However, this is a rather time consuming process. Does anybody else know a better procedure how to find historic dates at which the weather in a certain location fits a predefined set of characteristics? Or do you have any other procedure to find suitable and interesting weather for a flight? I would be thankful for any suggestions.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

Choose your airport and date - you can usually guess what weather you will get by roughly specifying a date in winter or summer.

Then scroll down and look at the big table at the bottom, I usually only pay attention to the wind speed and conditions info.

Then set ASN to that date for your chosen location.

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

Choose your airport and date - you can usually guess what weather you will get by roughly specifying a date in winter or summer.

Thanks Gordon! That is exactly what I was looking for! Very helpful!

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I use skyvector to look at the colored metar dots - if I'm trying to find poor Wx go to red or purple areas.

I then use windyty.com to look at the winds aloft forecast (I prefer tailwinds haha)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Did you know that ASN has a search feature where you put in the parameters of the weather and it will list the metars for each airport that meets that critieria?

Yes I know. But this only works to find a location with a specific weather once you have set either live weather or a historic date. I'm actually looking for a specific weather at a predefined location and not the other way around. But it would indeed be useful if ASN would extend the search feature to do exactly what I am looking for. Should be rather easy for them to do.

I use skyvector to look at the colored metar dots - if I'm trying to find poor Wx go to red or purple areas.

I then use windyty.com to look at the winds aloft forecast (I prefer tailwinds haha)

Thanks! Will have a look at this, too.

Yes I know. But this only works to find a location with a specific weather once you have set either live weather or a historic date. I'm actually looking for a specific weather at a predefined location and not the other way around. But it would indeed be useful if ASN would extend the search feature to do exactly what I am looking for. Should be rather easy for them to do.

OK understood, yes that would be useful, and probably very simple to add to the current search feature.  I actually never consider weather when I plan a flight, I usually plan as follows 1)  Which VA  2) How much time do I have  3) Which aircraft  4) Now find a route that matches 5) Plan using PFPX 6) Check ATIS  7) Fly.   The only time I ever actually search for specific weather is when I am testing out something.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I don't use ASN as it kills my FPS I use a freeware program called FSXWX. To me it works just as good as ASN or Rex and it doesn't even effect my frames.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I don't use ASN as it kills my FPS I use a freeware program called FSXWX. To me it works just as good as ASN or Rex and it doesn't even effect my frames.

And how does this answer the OP? Makes about as much sense as complaining about EZDOK.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

And how does this answer the OP? Makes about as much sense as complaining about EZDOK.

He asked about what we use to find weather.

Vic

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.