Sign in to follow this  
lorenzog89

DTG: What would you like to see in a new Flight Simulator?

I'll keep it simple, a simulator of FSX quality (or better) that can run at it highest quality settings using the current PC hardware available and not PC resources yet to be developed or two generations away from your sim's release.

That's another point I'd like to discuss. It can be us, as the pilot who is making small corrections, or simply the ailerons or elevators getting bounced around, which actually moves the stick or yoke, due to cables or push/pull tubes.  Our hand is just along for the ride. We don't have to actively use a countering control input to every bounce from yaw or roll. It just "looks" like we're busy..............when sometimes we're not. 

Something that actually MS FLIGHT simulates - the effect of the airstream on the controls.  It is specially noticeable if you detach the joystick and use mouse or keyboard, and set, for instance in the Maule, a turbulent  / windy weather scenario

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Preferred addons: TOLISS A32N, TOGA MU-2, VSkylabs DC-3 and R66, LES DC-3, AWX DC-3

That's just my opinion and hope that DTG does not go down the "world simulator" route. I mean why have a "fishing simulator" (which DTG has made) and flight sim on the same platform?

Why not? If you have technology that supports it, why would you not take full advantage of it and possible interest from all sorts of different types of users and potentially multiple revenue streams?

GTA5 has been a hot topic here, and it's very variety is what helped make it so popular, as you have the freedom to do pretty much anything you want, based on your mood, interests and temperament at the time.

Not everyone is all planes, all the time. In MSFlight, for instance there was the beginning of a strong social media component, as people hopped out of their planes to walk around and just talk to other people. Gatherings of Fliers would land and just talk, sometimes for hours.

One of the things I heard fliers lament (in-game) again and again was that there was no physical avatar people could create and others could see, for these gatherings.

In fact there were a lot of interesting social dynamics in FLIGHT that were just beginning to organize themselves when MS abruptly pulled the plug.

I might just like flying out to some remote location to fish with some friends. Such a dynamic might be completely ignored, or it might be something that becomes remarkably popular, like Aerocaches.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Regardless of all the speculation of what they might or might not do going on here, I'm just pleased to see that DTG are proactively reaching out to independent forums such as this and asking informed simmers / potential customers what they would like to see in a new flight sim.

Darren Morris

This looks & has become some irreverant wish list.

It seems like Dovetail has promised a new game, but has no idea what to put into it & has asked the community for ideas.

My ideal game would be a flying game, with controllable trains & a pull down menu to take me fishing. which is exactly what Dovetail is doing by asking for suggestions?

Obviously, this should be in 64bit, with a range of DLC's that include both electric & steam trains, fishing boats, as well, of course, of a range of fresh & salt water fish for us to catch.

Imagine.. flying to an irport, taking a train to a sea port or lake, then going fishing.

Well, Fishing & trains is what, I assume Dovetail does best, coupled with a Flying game that the community is raving (apparently) about.

Popcorn time...... :t0152:

Hiflyer ... +1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I think the most irreverent post was that one.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thank you. :wink:

Imagine the possibilities of on-line fishing expeditions, by train.

I'm sure Jane will be able to put together some great missions for us.

You go, Dovetail...

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I might just like flying out to some remote location to fish with some friends. Such a dynamic might be completely ignored, or it might be something that becomes remarkably popular, like Aerocaches.

I have to disagree with this. If I was to do that in the sim I would probably also catch something...which would be totally unrealistic.  :lol:

Thank you.

Imagine the possibilities of on-line fishing expeditions, by train.

I'm sure Jane will be able to put together some great missions for us.

You go, Dovetail...

Actually mixed genres is an idea whose time may have come. It will depend on exactly what type of technology is brought to the table and how malleable it is. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the next version of Ms train sim and whatever the next version of FSX would have been, designed to use some sort of interchangeable technology?

I know that the Outerra engine can do a number of different things including planes, trains, cars, boats submarines...... And that the developers have mentioned that they were once approached by "The train guys"

Finding that this concept is not to your liking is no reason to troll a thread.

I have to disagree with this. If I was to do that in the sim I would probably also catch something...which would be totally unrealistic. 

Yeah. And I actually think that its very unlikely. But at the same time, I find the possibilities intriguing if such a thing ever occurs. Civilian sims all on their own have not been huge money earners, but something a bit more diverse might have a chance to gather a wide group of different types of users.

Devons rig

This mixed sim IS actually to my liking! Lm has combined a flying sim with underwater 'flights' with their submersible.

Dovetail started with trains & fishing, so a mixed sim is a logical progression. It could possibly be interesting to both their train & fish market, both of which are quite huge.

Holdit... lol... about catching something, & a bit off topic, for which I apologise, if I caste my mind far back to FS2002 days, believe it or not, someone actually designed a naked man & a woman that you could 'fly'. It was quite interesting, when flying the 'guy' to drop undercarriage & see what dropped down! Now that could be catching something! :Big Grin: :LMAO:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

This mixed sim IS actually to my liking! Lm has combined a flying sim with underwater 'flights' with their submersible.

Dovetail started with trains & fishing, so a mixed sim is a logical progression. It could possibly be interesting to both their train & fish market, both of which are quite huge.

Holdit... lol... about catching something, & a bit off topic, for which I apologise, if I caste my mind far back to FS2002 days, believe it or not, someone actually designed a naked man & a woman that you could 'fly'. It was quite interesting, when flying the 'guy' to drop undercarriage & see what dropped down! Now that could be catching something! :Big Grin: :LMAO:

Then I apologize for misinterpreting what you were saying.

Devons rig

I would also like to see instructional capability. In MSFlight you could get views of what other peoples planes were doing by clicking on their name in a session, but it was always a shame that people trying to help newbies could not share a cockpit. I could see this type of feature being of use to all types of users, and it was once again one of those weird requests that came up in game from time to time that people wanted to hitch rides with friends, do missions together, etc.

This could also lead to some sort of ATC module that would allow more realistic interaction with planes for those so inclined.

Devons rig

No problem at all. In my sims, P3d & FS9, I can fly, sail & drive. (no fishing as yet!) & now Milton Shume & his team had released the HMS Bounty that sails with the wind only! Yup, we have great  sim engines & add-ons to play with. Bring it on, Dovetail!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I know that in Train Simulator there is the academy, which is designed specifically to walk newcomers through the basics. Old trainsim users reacted badly, but I thought it was a good idea as not everybody has been driving trains for years. I suspect DTG will do something similar for any new sim, as catering simply to experienced/advanced users is probably doomed from the start. One of the things people using FLIGHT mentioned repeatedly was that despite the fact that they had been flying FSX or whatever, for years, somewhere along the line they had lost the simple fun of the whole experience: the joy of just zooming through the sky and looking around at the scenery.

For some, they found that over the years they had gotten too "serious" to enjoy such "childish" things as flying under bridges or just being plain silly for a while. (Explaining some of the hate for FLIGHTS balloons)

Some found that they had gotten so accustomed to setting the autopilot and coasting, that they had forgotten some of the navigation basics (or had never really learned them!) and FLIGHT kind of forced them back to first practices. I hope that whatever DTG comes up with firmly keeps in mind that people come to flight simulation from all angles of expectation and experience, and their best chance is to create a sim that is open enough to cover as many bases as is realistically possible.

Never forget the noobs.

Devons rig

Why not? If you have technology that supports it, why would you not take full advantage of it and possible interest from all sorts of different types of users and potentially multiple revenue streams?

Because when there's too much breadth then there's practically no depth. A world sim, in my opinion, would be too much of a game - not something I could see PMDG or A2A (etc) expanding to. Again, that's just my opinion.  

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot