Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

DirectX 12 / Windows 10 / and Ultra High End Rendering

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Pretty impressive but when and where will be see it in flight simulation?  FSX - No.  FSX-SE and P3D - maybe.   Do not know about X-Plane's video capabilities.  Still, the new technology is impressive. 

Best regards,

Since XPlane has always been a cross-platform product, it uses Open GL instead of DirectX.

Pretty impressive but when and where will be see it in flight simulation?  FSX - No.  FSX-SE and P3D - maybe.   Do not know about X-Plane's video capabilities.  Still, the new technology is impressive. 

Best regards,

The tech is there..... and DX12 will make it even more effective. Unigine right now is not nearly worldwide coverage though, and has a view distance of only 40 miles. Outerra could do all of this, and has unlimited view distance and worldwide coverage.

Its openGL, though.

For any existing software to take advantage of DX12 it will have to be rewritten to implement the new features. As I understand it DTG do not have permission to amend the source code of FSX so this effectively rules out any version of FSX being DX12 compatible. Again as I understand it exclusive permission to amend FSXs source code was given to LM out of which was born P3D. So whilst we may see a DX12 version of P3D I seem to remember the move from DX10 to DX11 was neither swift nor trouble free.

But DTG are in the process of planing and preparing the new flight simulator. You must have noticed a huge thread building where DTG asks what users want from the new sim. Basically, when you read through it a little bit, you gather that most wishes already exist in FSX. So DTG might create a FSX-like simulator, complete rewrite from the base up, based on Windows 10 and DirectX 12.

On P3D though, there are chances that switch from DX11 to DX12 might now be way easier than it ever was for LM. They are cleaning up the P3D from the old code, making it current. From what I understand, they said that what they are doing should enable them, in the future, much easier management of the simulator. Be that new features, optimizations, switch to 64bit or whatever is next. It makes sense if you ask me. When you look at the clean installation of FSX:SE and of P3D, there are half folders missing and way less files in the installation folder. It goes without saying that P3D is already now cleaner. Just as with any windows system, clean system (=simulator) means smoother operation. Is what P3D already delivers.

I find the tech-demo amazing, and it shows exactly what would be possible. The question is to what extent is this usable in a simulator (even a completely new one).