Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Is AVSIM undergoing a Denial Of Service attack?!?!?

Change time of access is a little of a cop-out answer, if I can say that (I don't mean to be rude). Changing backup procedure is a better way to move forward. I've worked for big online companies and retailers, and never had this issue. Ok, we are paid to do our jobs admittedly and the companies had cash, but it was never a difficult solution. I built a very cheap solution (all software was free) on top of MySQL and Tomcat for a news archive system and we took a MySQL node out of the read pool, backed it up, brought it back in with a script. Worked pretty well considering we spent no money :)

We are currently working on the issue with the servers.  We'll see if we can find a solution that satisfies everyone.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

we took a MySQL node out of the read pool, backed it up, brought it back in with a script.

Give this man a cookie.

I expect that 99% of the problems are related to some poor SQL in the forum interface, or something without an index that over time has gotten slower and slower as the table grew larger. The backup is probably what kicks things over the edge. Having a read-only slave for backups makes the specific symptom go away, but doesn't resolve the underlying issue.

CDNs are not a panacea. If you are bandwidth limited they are useful for shifting bandwidth load, especially for large assets like videos and images. If your limit is the back-end database, the CDNs are unlikely to help you very much. They are also much more than "mirroring your servers". They are caching proxies, and you need to carefully ensure that your URL namespace and cache control headers are being set correctly to ensure that you cache, or you don't serve stale data.

Anyone that AVSIM retains needs to have done this before, at a scale at or above AVSIM's. That shouldn't be too difficult nowadays.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Guys...

I can pin the actual slowdown to 0820, and 0920 UK time (GMT). Just prior to those times, AVSIM is usually available, but very slow access from the hour.

At those times (20 mins past the hour) access is usually not possible here in the UK for me until approximately 0845 or 0945, and then I can be

denied access until after the hour.

Here's a 'log' of what details I kept for a while:

Avsim access: (All times GMT)

Tue 03.06.14    0922 BST (0822 GMT) - 503 Service Unavailable
Sat 07.06.14     0923 BST (0822 GMT) - 503 Service Unavailable
Mon 09.06.14   0929 - 0940 BST (0829 - 0840 GMT) - 503 Service Unavailable
Fri 27.06.14      0932 - BST (0932 GMT) - 503 Service Unavailable - 128 souls online
Thu 24.07.14    0903 - BST to 0937 BST- 503 Service Unavailable. No souls readings av.

(Avsim is in 'boost' mode)

Sun 03.08.14    0933 BST (0922 GMT) - 503 Service Unavailable
Sun 10.08.14    0923 BST (0823 GMT) - 503 Service Unavailable
Tue 12.08.14    0923 BST (0823 GMT) - 503 Service Unavailable

Mon 08.09.14    More or less daily now, at 0920 BST onwards to 0950.

I get daily outages (the 503 Service Unavailable Error) usually worst at 0820 & 0920 GMT. I'm using Firefox 35.0.1.

It is so frustrating - on some days it just isn't worth attempting access. If I wait until later the US users are then up and about, and the service is available, but slow....

I'm with Sky Broadband.

Tue 24.02.15    

0920 GMT - 0945 - 503 Service Unavailable
0945 - Gave up - F5 didn't get me anywhere

Thu 26.02.15

0930 GMT - 0940 - 503 Service Unavailable
0940 - Gave up - F5 didn't get me anywhere

Fri 27.02.15

0925 GMT - 503 Service Unavailable

I gave up keeping a record after that...

Regards

Bill

I guess we'll need to wait until whoever is coming in to sort IT and take a butchers. We'll have to hold tight until then

I guess we'll need to wait until whoever is coming in to sort IT and take a butchers.

That might need deciphering for our cousins! :BigGrin:  "Butcher's Hook... Look. Cockney Rhyming Slang. :wink:

I also experience the 0800-0900GMT lockout. I just accepted the system was being backup therefore unavailable.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

That might need deciphering for our cousins! :BigGrin:  "Butcher's Hook... Look. Cockney Rhyming Slang. :wink:

Aha, yes good point, didn't even think about that! Thanks for translating to English :)

Kattz, try using http://forum.avsim.net/

index.html, I have no idea where that's going because we use .php... I think that's the HTML "presentation" for the PHP coding that runs the main page.

sorry to dig up a 2 week old thread, but that index.html is a VERY old link. We switched to IPB forums over....5 years ago now. I originally installed it, over Christmas time 2009.

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler