Sign in to follow this  

P3D v2.5 SLI test results, up 33%

I did get the second titan but I did not have a chance to install it last weekend. I hope I have more time to work on my own things this weekend. I will let you know if I succeed with the install.

Sounds all too familiar not getting the time you would like working on your own stuff :wink:

Richard Åsberg

I wonder how big the FPS difference between SLIed 970s and 980s is running 4xSGSS since being able to use 4xSGSS is the main reason for me to replace my current card.

I tested out SLI with 4X SGSS AA flying thru a dense cloud layer: 

Graphics and nVidia Inspector settings are at the end of the video.  Seems pretty fluid now with SLI and SGSS AA even at 4K res.  I'm uploading the original video (4GB file size) to my Google drive and will provide link once uploaded (avoid any ISP or YouTube stutters for those that want to verify stutter free experience).

Cheers, Rob.

Very nice video Rob, guess you must be more than pleased with your system now :smile:

Was very cool to see how fluid everthing was even with SGSS @ 4K but should be looking at your monster rig :wink: Was also cool to see how the GPU usage increased when you entered the clouds indicating your SLI setup works just the way it should with the load spread even between the cards.

Congrats!!

Richard Åsberg

Excellent video Robert but there is one thing I just noticed that I had never seen before in any of your videos, your fps hold steady within a couple of fps. There must be something wrong with my settings or a background app that may be running as my fps set at unlimited settings are fluctuating at least 10-15fps as in 25 to 40 fps at all times even without any cloud coverage! I have not had an opportunity to install the second Titan and enable SLI and I think I better investigate the cause of my fps issue before I introduce other issues.

Any ideas.

I also think I better start a new thread about this!

Nick Sciortino

I just noticed that I had never seen before in any of your videos, your fps hold steady within a couple of fps. There must be something wrong with my settings or a background app that may be running as my fps set at unlimited settings are fluctuating at least 10-15fps as in 25 to 40 fps at all times even without any cloud coverage!

Hi Nick, my settings are at the end of the video ... I do Unlimited and V-sync (as my normal setting in P3D) and my monitor's refresh is 30Hz.  In this test I was most concerned about fluidity of motion (no long frames) in my normal settings using SGSS AA (with high cloud density while flying thru a cloud layer), I can achieve that solid 30 fps.  So using SGSS AA is now a viable option for me with SLI support as I no longer suffer significant performance drops in heavy cloud layers.

I haven't done many videos with SLI enabled since it's a recent "official" option via nVidia drivers.  If I disabled V-sync you would see more fluctuation in FPS and probably increased GPU usage and of course stutters.  If your monitor operates at 60Hz or higher and you can't sustain 60 FPS, then you would NOT want to use V-Sync/triple buffer.  To get fluidity in these situations is more difficult ... but your goals should always be settings that will produce the most consistent time between frames -- the less variation you have the more fluid the motion will seem --- up to a point (15 fps and less suffers input lag).

I disabled G-Sync as it seems to cause issues with SLI on my system and my Sony isn't technically a G-Sync monitor but does have some features to help combat motion and image optimization (however these features obviously are NOT "recorded" in my videos as they are monitor based).  That's part of the problem with showing my videos, visually the actual flight experience is SO much better than what I can record to video ... so what you see on YouTube and downloads is not as good as it actually was when I fly.  But still YouTube and ShadowPlay does a reasonable job.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks, my monitor is a 4k @ 30Hz, I did start another thread as I did not want to piggyback in this thread. I have always used your settings so I will need to see if I have made changes to them. I also just thought of another problem I may have is I have updated my security program and I have a suspicion that it is running in the background.

Nick Sciortino

If your monitor operates at 60Hz or higher and you can't sustain 60 FPS, then you would NOT want to use V-Sync/triple buffer.

What's your take on setting P3D to "30fps" and using adaptive 1/2 refresh rate type options?

On Unlimited I'm getting around mid 30ish fps pretty much all the time - Not sure the best way to increase smoothness though.

What's your take on setting P3D to "30fps" and using adaptive 1/2 refresh rate type options?

I tried that option when I had my other 60Hz monitor (2560 x 1600) and never really had much success with 1/2 refresh rate.  But other's have reported success using 1/2 refresh rate so maybe I just didn't configure it correctly.

I did start another thread as I did not want to piggyback in this thread.

Ok, will take a look.

Cheers, Rob.

Sounds all too familiar not getting the time you would like working on your own stuff :wink:

Web

I finally had a chance to add the second Titan and I have to say that I am very happy with the results.

After clearing up the fluctuating fps issue I added the titan and chose the nvida P3d profile. Loaded up P3 and I loaded the same saved flight I used to monitor the fps repair and did the same flight.

Remember I am using a 4k at 3840 x 2160

before sli 27-30fps

With SLI 30-33fps

Even though the fps did not gain but 10%, the micro stutters have all but disappeared with sli.

The before GPU was at 75+ usage, the after sli GPU usage never got higher than 55 for both.

The conditions for both were NGX 737, Rex 4 with Softclouds, I did not use any outside weather package but I had P3 thunderstorms weather. Also my settings are just about the same as Ron's 4k settings on his website. Orbx and Vector, and also 3rd party Ai traffic was used. I did not load up a high scenery city.

I am very happy with the results and I am glad I found a 2nd Titan at a very reasonable price.

I hope this helps.

Nick Sciortino

Great to hear you're happy with your second Titan!

I might go the same road myself if I find a second Titan. If not I think I'll stick with my current setup for now. Fact is I have a very smooth experience and still with great IQ. The only thing I'm lacking is good AA but to a certain degree I've learnt to live with it by now.

Richard Åsberg

Very nice video Rob, guess you must be more than pleased with your system now

Never "pleased" ... always want more.  But I'm happy I've found the settings I need to make it work reasonably well.

Now if I can just get my VA Interface CDU v1.3.1 to work with the PMDG 777 1.10.6492 ... doesn't seem to want to connect.  PMDG 737 works fine ... hmmmm.

Cheers, Rob.

Never "pleased" ... always want more.  But I'm happy I've found the settings I need to make it work reasonably well.

Now if I can just get my VA Interface CDU v1.3.1 to work with the PMDG 777 1.10.6492 ... doesn't seem to want to connect.  PMDG 737 works fine ... hmmmm.

Cheers, Rob.

Yep, I guess we flight simmers are hard to please in general :wink:

As for your issue with VA Interface I take it you already checked with the developers or reported your issue? From what I've seen so far they usually are fast releasing fixes whenever needed.

Richard Åsberg

You shouldn't need to SLI in P3D at all.

The problem is VAS consumption. 

You'd soon OOM if you maxed out your settings being cocky with SLI.