Sign in to follow this  

P3D v2.5 SLI test results, up 33%

I have no idea why the AA setting and/or turning off the P3D profile line in NI fixes the artifacts for some but not for others.

Those settings don't work for me either ... in terms of removing artifacts and odd smoke effects (some effects not all).  

My hunch (nothing more than a hunch) is that the 8xCSAA for some GPUs is telling the driver to share load of AA processing only, not a true AFR.  AFR is what seems to have the artifacts whereas just sharing AA processing doesn't (which would make sense to me).

If my hunch is correct, then the "fix" could involve nVidia and/or LM.  But if my hunch is wrong and AFR really is happening, then it's most likely nVidia exclusive fix.

Cheers, Rob.

Those settings don't work for me either ... in terms of removing artifacts and odd smoke effects (some effects not all).  

My hunch (nothing more than a hunch) is that the 8xCSAA for some GPUs is telling the driver to share load of AA processing only, not a true AFR.  AFR is what seems to have the artifacts whereas just sharing AA processing doesn't (which would make sense to me).

If my hunch is correct, then the "fix" could involve nVidia and/or LM.  But if my hunch is wrong and AFR really is happening, then it's most likely nVidia exclusive fix.

Cheers, Rob.

So you guess that AFR happens but actually it shouldnt as P3D2 does rende-to-texture? 

When Vic shared his NI profile for P3D2 i tried it with importing it into my NI. I notidced that in his profile the SLI compatibility bits werent enable. So i did that as by driver default is recommended. Now when i was looking for the profile i did find the "Daylight...." profile but P3D wasnt actually named in it. It simply disappeared. I did a reinstall of the driver and P3D was back.

Anyway Vics profile worked with 8xCSAA. But when i edited my customized profile 8xCSAA didn for some reason. With my current profile everything is back working. Strange things happens here :S I will post my settings in a few hours so you folks can give it a go.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Now when i was looking for the profile i did find the "Daylight...." profile but P3D wasnt actually named in it. It simply disappeared.

I noticed that as well.  Hadn't tried a driver reinstall - might do that.

I will post my settings in a few hours so you folks can give it a go.

Please do - I hate to pass on SLI for an extended period of time - would rather put my second 980 to work.  So am willing to experiment again...

CSAA was dropped for maxwell based GPUs so wonder if that's why the fix doesn't work for me and some others?

CSAA was dropped for maxwell based GPUs so wonder if that's why the fix doesn't work for me and some others?

Interesting.  I'm on twin 980 SC's, so if you're right, that would rule me out.  I wonder what others are using.

I noticed that as well.  Hadn't tried a driver reinstall - might do that.

Please do - I hate to pass on SLI for an extended period of time - would rather put my second 980 to work.  So am willing to experiment again...

Hi Alan try this 

MJ_P3D2_NI_1.png

MJ_P3D2_NI_2.png

If you do not have a G Sync monitor set these to driver default.

Greetz

MJ

youtubefooter.jpg

I don't have a G-sync monitor.  What should I set to driver default?  Everything in Inspector, or some particular setting.  Apologies in advance if I'm missing something I should be seeing in your screenshot.

There is this part that says G-Sync Global Feature and G-Sync Requested State should be switched OFF. In my case i have it on as i have an Asus ROG Swift.

Greetz

MJ

youtubefooter.jpg

There is this part that says G-Sync Global Feature and G-Sync Requested State should be switched OFF.

Ah, OK - thanks for the clarification.

I'll give these a try tonight or tomorrow.  On the surface they look pretty similar to Vic Baron's (vgbaron) settings, so I'm not sure they'll "take" on my system, but I'm happy to be surprised.  I'll try the driver reinstall before I apply them - haven't done that yet, so maybe that'll make the difference for me.  Thanks again for these.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Ah, OK - thanks for the clarification.

I'll give these a try tonight or tomorrow.  On the surface they look pretty similar to Vic Baron's (vgbaron) settings, so I'm not sure they'll "take" on my system, but I'm happy to be surprised.  I'll try the driver reinstall before I apply them - haven't done that yet, so maybe that'll make the difference for me.  Thanks again for these.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Great am lookin forward to your results. Would be interested if Rob had any luck with these settings?

Greetz

MJ

youtubefooter.jpg

Would be interested if Rob had any luck with these settings?

Those settings do indeed remove all the artifacts, BUT ... even though I see my GPUs at 99% (ouch), I'm not convinced this is optimized correctly.

Some issues I noted:

1.  Flying thru clouds will have an impact on FPS (more so than the standard SLI profile)

2.  Water at Ultra, and pointing down at the water seems to cause stutters and FPS drop (doesn't happen in standard SLI profile)

3.  It will stutter when animations are present (Birds for example)

Has anyone down time frame comparisons with these settings vs. standard SLI profile settings?  

Cheers, Rob.

No joy, I'm afraid.  I get the full range of artifacts whenever SLI is enabled, no matter what the settings.  I've tried several more tweaks, including disabling the Daylight profile in NI, with no luck.  I did have some extra stutters this time, though, which I hadn't had in previous SLI test runs with the 353.06 profile.  Again, not sure why.

I wonder if the problem is specific to 980s?

In any case, I'm going to go back to the sidelines and wait for LM and/or NVidia to come up with a fix.

Thanks to Mickeyj for the suggestions and to Rob for continuing to run down leads.  

Hope they get this right eventually.

Those settings do indeed remove all the artifacts, BUT ... even though I see my GPUs at 99% (ouch), I'm not convinced this is optimized correctly.

Some issues I noted:

1.  Flying thru clouds will have an impact on FPS (more so than the standard SLI profile)

2.  Water at Ultra, and pointing down at the water seems to cause stutters and FPS drop (doesn't happen in standard SLI profile)

3.  It will stutter when animations are present (Birds for example)

Has anyone down time frame comparisons with these settings vs. standard SLI profile settings?  

Cheers, Rob.

Same here, both GPUs are almost at max load which is my biggest concern. Vic reported that too. As i recall he is still on 347.88 driver version.

1. Flying through clouds has in my case a big hit when i switch to the outside view. 

2. didnt try that one as well as animations

No joy, I'm afraid.  I get the full range of artifacts whenever SLI is enabled, no matter what the settings.  I've tried several more tweaks, including disabling the Daylight profile in NI, with no luck.  I did have some extra stutters this time, though, which I hadn't had in previous SLI test runs with the 353.06 profile.  Again, not sure why.

I wonder if the problem is specific to 980s?

In any case, I'm going to go back to the sidelines and wait for LM and/or NVidia to come up with a fix.

Thanks to Mickeyj for the suggestions and to Rob for continuing to run down leads.  

Hope they get this right eventually.

Hmmm that is kinda strange.

For now we have a few options...

1. leave SLI and run only one GPU      -i dont like the idea ;)

2. live with artifacts         - the most annoying artefacts comes with the lightning and wake effects. 

3. run Vics profile and lve with high GPU load       - even though that it makes the FS world back to kinda normal i dont like it that both GPU are at full load

4. run SLI but disabling the lightning, cloudlightning and boat wake effects by removing them from the effects folder - i did that and i will do it again :)

So for now i will continue with disabled effects and the standard SLI profile with 4xSGSS and the extra color and sharpness boost by Reshade. It gives me good performance i can fly in thunderstorm conditions without being flashy memories messed up thingy  and the GPUs have some extra 30-50% headroom :) 

Greetz

MJ

youtubefooter.jpg

I have P3D with SLI running beautifully and I'm VERY happy with the improvements.  I have all the sliders to the right except for some that still make the CPU puke (water)  I can run in areas that would bog me down to 10fps now and I can't believe how realistic it is with so many moar clouds and shadows and still get a better framerate than before.  SLI, official or not, is a HUGE win in my book.

SLI, official or not, is a HUGE win in my book.

Agree, just needs a few more adjustments. 

As you can see the quickie video I made below, all artifacts are gone:

Towards the end of the video you can see the GPU's loading up to 99% as I fly thru dense clouds.

Cheers, Rob.